Zork Grand Inquisitor sure is a challenging game! Does anyone have a walk-through for how to get past the "Start Game" screen?
...Yes, that's right, Zork Grand Inquisitor doesn't run on Windows XP despite Amazon's assurance in the product details that it does. Not even when you run the Windows 95/98 compatibility wizard. Which is a shame if that five star review below is to be believed.
So be careful before you part with your pennies.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 January 2011
Given the limited number of good quality adventure games these days, I thought I'd try an old classic. I was not disappointed. The problems are challenging but not too difficult and the acting in cut scenes is first rate. The graphics aren't great (this is a 1997 game remember), though state-of-the-art for the time, but it's terrific fun (where else can you experience an underground 'Underground' ride to Hades and a talking fish Douglas Adams would have been proud of?!).
Readers should note that the game does not run on Windows XP 'out of the box'. However, all I had to do was follow some simple instructions given on the Zork website to ensure that the game runs smoothly (the patch for slowing down 360-degree panning really helps).
I must also commend the seller. Congratulations to 'Good Old Things'! Not only was the game delivered before Xmas (within 3 days of ordering) despite the bad weather but it also arrived before I received an email from Amazon apologising for late deliveries in general!
on 13 January 2004
There is a long history of games in the Zork series prior to this one.
As this was the first Zork game I played - I can honestly say that it doesn't matter if you've played the others or not.
It's an involving, very well designed game with logical puzzles - and a wonderful sense of humour.
How many games actually make you laugh out loud at the set up screens?
It really is a classic to be snapped up by any fan of the genre.
I paid a fortune for a copy from a specialist outlet in the states - I wish I'd looked here first!
on 4 September 2013
Played this game when it originally came out the graphics are still great and the games fantastic
I love it