4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but funky
Published on 5 Oct 2003 by BlueSkies

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Whilst its nice in the most inoffensive way, Squire for Hire is a major step back after Sound Travels. It wears its influences too heavily and its hard to find Nathan in there. The title track is almost a steal from Ronny Jordan's The Jackal and the FM cover is simply bland...a real shame.
Published on 19 Sep 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but funky, 5 Oct 2003
This review is from: Squire 4 Hire (Audio CD)
I agree with the last reviwer's comments about the track 'Squire For Hire'. Anyone who has heard Dana Bryant's The Jackal will be astounded by the barefaced pastiche of this track. And Dana's influence looms large elsewhere on this CD in the some of the other spoken word pieces. I found that many things on this CD reminded me of something I heard before (e.g. 'Nothing New' sounds like a Quincy Jones production circa 1980). However, this album is worth buying for one track at least - "Springtime Rain". This is original and beautiful spoken word and it works. I played it twice on my radio show today and I will bang on about it to anyone who will listen. On the strength of this track the album gets a '4' in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 31 Oct 2013
Willow (Dunedin, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Squire 4 Hire (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to catch the tour of this album in New Zealand which was a memorable event. Nathan is such a generous band leader allowing all his contributors to shine. I love this album and his more traditional modern jazz orientated albums Vermillion Skies and Poets Embrace.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Sep 2003
By A Customer

Squire 4 Hire
Squire 4 Hire by Nathan Haines (Audio CD - 2003)