5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good even after reading the other reviews.
I wasn't sure whether to get this or a uni-directional hand-held mic to record voices. I had plugged good mics into my soundcard before but never got the right quality. On the other hand I have a noisy harddrive so didn't think a USB connected mic would be good enough.
Published on 10 Sep 2007 by TG

2.0 out of 5 stars Works well when it works....
It was great when it was working. then i upgraded to win7 and it doesnt work as the drivers wont install. No support on the logitech page. Brilliant if you plan on not upgrading. otherwise pretty useless...
Published on 17 May 2011 by M.K

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good even after reading the other reviews., 10 Sep 2007
This review is from: Logitech USB Desktop Microphone (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Eventually I went for this mainly because of the good reviews and price although I was concerned whether it could really be THAT good.
First thing : The recording quality *is* good. I know the other reviews mention this but it's still a nice surprise how good it really is.
Second, the mic is sitting on my desk just above the noisy Hard-drive (OK there's a wooden desk in-between) but I have yet to hear *any* background noise.
Third, it plugs straight in and works (win/xp).
Fourth, it has a long enough USB cable for me to use it in another room if I want.
It does feel a little bit flimsy but I don't care about that so 5-stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB Microphone - Ideal for gamers 24/09/2006, 24 Sep 2006
K. Larking (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This microphone is well designed, and has been put together properly. Installation has always been easy, as windows will automatically detect it, and load appropriate drivers. There have been reports of problems with XP, though I have never had this issue.

In use, this microphone is very easy to use, as you can situate it on the desktop or on top of a CRT type monitor and after initial sound setup, it works without any problems. Sound quality is ideal for use with voip or teamspeak, but lacks enough clarity for podcasting. The microphone is more than sensitive enough to pick up both foreground and background sound if not correctly setup.

The on/off switch is a nice feature for gamers, as it allows you to switch the microphone off without leaving the game.

I've recommended this microphone to others, and will continue to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant desktop mic, 15 Jan 2008
Derek James Hall "Derek Hall" (St Ives, Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
Used a couple of other mics with Skype but they were not that good. paid a little but not that much more for this & it is just superb.
Installed (into Windows XP) with no prompting whatsoever & worked straight away.
Very clear, & picks up your voice no matter where you sit, even if not at the desk.
Couldn't ask for more, well worth the extra few pounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Was looking for an inexpensive conference microphone..., 18 April 2007
... and believe I've found it!

In my experience, the problems with standard microphones are two in this application where you have one or more nodes in the conference using speakers and microphone:

1) too low far-field sensitivity, and/or too pronounced interference with room acoustics. This means you have to be very close to the microphone for it to pick up the conversation clearly.

2) problems with echo/feedback from the other party speaking, this normally activates crude muting schemes in common simple videoconference applications like Skype in order to break the feedback loop. This makes it very difficult to maintain a natural conversation where you must be able to react on interjections and so forth.

I've made some preliminary tests of this microphone and found it to work much over expectation to address both of these problems. Far-field characteristics is very good in that room echo seems suppressed while maintaining high sensitivity also at quite large distance, and the conversation dynamics also works very well in that the muting effect is much less pronounced than with standard microphones. You get a true "full duplex" feeling, providing for very natural multi-party conversation.

Also, the sound quality is very good.

Add to this the true "plug and play", no drivers or anything.

Summary: this is an incredible conference microphone for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars a quality piece of kit, 14 Jan 2008
There's not a lot to say about a microphone, but this Logitech version is pretty good. I have installed it on both Windows and Linux without needing any drivers, it picks up speech accurately using Dragon Naturally Speaking (standard) at a distance of at least 40 cm from my mouth (with the volume set to maximum). The base is steady so you won't knock the microphone over. Overall a quality piece of kit at less than £15.

5.0 out of 5 stars policy well built microphone, 24 July 2007
Mr. M. I. Khan "Blues Rock Manchester" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I am very impressed by the build quality of this microphone, I have got multiple sclerosis and have wobbly hands and need to use voice recognition because I do not have the dexterity to utilise either my mouse or my keyboard.

This piece of kit is an absolute necessity in my case because of my boisterous heavy-handed activities the products that I use have to be solid and this certainly is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Jun 2007
Mr. A. Hillsden (Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this mic so that I could vlog with it, and use it for voice control of my laptop.

It is realy good and even will pick me up from the other side of the room when I am having a video confrence through msn etc.

Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 11 Aug 2007
First off.. you WON'T get a microphone better than this unless you want to spend £50+. Installing the driver was easy cake, it took seconds. The range of the microphone is amazing, you don't have to shove it in your mouth to be heard. On/off button is ideal for instant powering on/off. The design and look is unique. The audio quality is to be blunt.. immence. You won't find much better audio-wise even if you spend hundreds of pounds. Don't waste £5 on some other microphone.. spending that little extra really pays off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 18 Dec 2007
I have used Teamspeak for more hours than I care to admit in the past few years and have gone through quite a few microphones. Up until I bought this product I used headsets, but I had a habit of dropping these on the floor when finished with them. Inevitably they broke. When it came round to purchasing a new microphone I wanted one that could sit on my desk and not have to suffer the same fate as my others.

Despite arriving two weeks late I was happy to see it come.

Pros:
- The on/off switch is great if you need a moment's silence.
- Adjustability: The mic can pivot through about 170 degrees.
- Sensitivity: The mic allows me to sit back in my chair and still be heard clearly.

Cons:
- The on/off switch.... sometimes I forget I have it turned off and wonder why people don't hear me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and great quality, 4 Sep 2008
This is a sturdy, good quality microphone, especially for the price. Getting it working on Win XP worked first time. I did have to install a new driver but everything was auto-detected and straight forward.

The sound quality is great and it's easy to use. I mainly use it with Skype and it picks up voices clearly, even from across the room. I only ever had a very minor echo/feedback problem, but you can adjust the sensitivity of the microphone which has fixed the feedback/echo problems.

For the price, I can't fault it and recommend it highly for anyone who wants reliable and high quality sound at a price that won't break the bank.