5.0 out of 5 stars An Avalanche of Brilliant Songs

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm
Published on 11 Aug 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars An Avalanche of Brilliant Songs, 19 Aug 2003
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
Somewhere between a female Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello, but with the voice of an angel (albeit a seriously pissed-off one), Thea Gilmore is currently Britain's best songwriter. And by a good few light years. "Avalanche" is her fifth album, and also her best, with Thea spitting vitriolic gobs of fire at the plasticity of modern culture and the resulting public apathy with fierce directness and an unflinching eye.
Developing the soundscapes of her earlier "St Luke's Summer" and "The Dirt Is Your Lover Now", Thea and producer-extrodinaire Nigel Stonier add a layer of loops and effects to her usual chiming guitars and deceptively catchy tunes. "Pirate Moon" and the haunting title track ring with a sinister, trottled beauty - fluid and graceful, yet shot through with a creeping menace.
"Mainstream", meanwhile, and "Rags & Bones" (probably the best song she's ever written) crackle with a barely-controlled rage, spiky and brutal as Thea goes for the throat. Then, sung in her most delicate, heartbreaking voice, "The Cracks" prophecises a forthcoming armageddon with more unflinching clarity of anything this side of "Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall".
This is potent stuff: a landscape where religion is obsolete ("Have You Heard?") and love a precarious thing ("Razor Valentine"); the young are listless and self-obsessed ("Juliet") and the media calculatingly enforce this ("Heads Will Roll").
However, if all this sounds rather depressing (and it is - this is real life, mate), Thea's level of passion, eloquence, anger and commitment mean that the songs are ultimately life-affirming and positive. This is real protest music for the 21st century, not the moany dirges of some jumped-up madam that are endlessly peddled elsewhere.
Indeed, amid the corporate mush that passes for pop-music today (and don't tell me Oasis isn't as carefully packaged as Will Young or Avril Lavigne isn't just Britney holding a guitar), finding such an inspired songwriter with something fundamentally important to say is remarkable. And that she does so with such eloquent lyrics and brilliant melodies is nothing short of miraculous.
"Are you gonna swim the mainstream/or are you gonna make like lightning?" she demands halfway through the album, in a flick-knife voice. But she has already made her decision. And what spellbinding lightning it is. No amount of superlatives do this album justice. Believe me, it's that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'ave a listen !!, 14 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
Why bother recycling the superlatives - Thea Gilmore is clearly head and shoulders above her contemporaries. You could say I was swept along in the muted hype of internet and newspaper articles, but I have no post-purchase regrets whatsoever. This album is superbly crafted - both lyrically and musically - and yet in my opinion it isn't even Thea's finest hour. I've since discovered her earlier work. This girl is a prolific wordsmith and still maintains consistently high standards in her songwriting; it really is quite incredible.
There are minor criticisms - her vocal range could benefit from a little more flexibility, and a couple of tracks would work better as poems rather than songs.
At 23 years of age, with 5 self-penned albums and 1 sublime album of covers under her belt, Thea's canon is a formidable one! Why the hell had I never heard of Thea Gilmore before?
Signing off now before the avalanche of superlatives crashes through my keyboard. Can't recommend this highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivacious Vixen, 3 Feb 2004
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
Thea's music is awe inspiring and I love it. I am an american that has moved to the UK and I have never heard such raw talent and emotion from a song writer. Her music reachs out to you and grabs you..Her no bs sense of great style makes her a woman worth listening to..I have heard almost all of her Cd's and this one is hot..She has something that other artist just dont seem to have..There is a lot of heart in her music and a quirky sense of humor is found in some of her lyrics. Ever hear one of those songs where you think hey that was written just for me well Avalanche by Thea Gilmore is a whole Cd full of those types of songs. She is very worth the time to check her out and try her music something about her is bound to fit you..

5.0 out of 5 stars Thea Gilmore - Avalanche, 29 Sep 2003
Alan Moore (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
This is my first experience of Thea Gilmore - I bought the album after hearing just one track on the radio, and I think all the songs are brilliant. The music is so refreshingly different to most popular music, and Thea's moods come over so well with each song. There's melody, emotion, and some hauntingly good lyrics. Just brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thea does it again!, 4 Aug 2003
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
Thea's latest album is easily a worthy successor to those that have gone before it. As one who was lucky enough to have a sneak peek at this album before the release date, I was already highly excited about hearing the latest view of the world from Thea, even before the amazing patchwork of musical colour hit my ears.
Avalanche is another emotional rollercoaster of an album from Thea. Neither the music nor the words shock the listener; each seems to function as a vehicle for the other with little conflict of interest. The only track which this reviewer's poor ear found difficult to appreciate was Pirate Moon, Track 6, and the stars of the album, along with the single Juliet (Keep That In Mind) are Razor Valentine and The Cracks.
Thea Gilmore ought to be a regular visitor to everyone's CD players, and Avalanche must surely be included - best Thea album yet? Maybe. Better yet to come? I hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best album, 3 Oct 2011
oldhasbeen (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
A gem of an album, not a bad track on it. Moody, great lyrics, fine vocals, sympathetic backing - this album has it all.

Highlights, for me, are "Razor Valentine", a song that always features in her live shows, and the rocky "Heads Will Roll" but there are many more great songs here.

If you haven't heard Thea Gilmore before, I can't provide a better description than a previous reviewer's description: "Somewhere between a female Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello, but with the voice of an angel (albeit a seriously pissed-off one)"

"Razor Valentine", in particular, exhibits a strong Tom Waits influence, using a scratchy sound rather like an old 78 to great effect.

Well worth your money. And catch her live too, she's excellent and thoroughly unpredictable

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic album, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
This is my 5th Thea Gilmore album having already purchased Recorded delivery,Lifejacker,Murphys heart and Loft music.This is another fantastic album, every track is an instant winner.Buy everything she has recorded there won't be a bad song in sight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 4 Feb 2008
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
Finger on the pulse, me. Thought I'd discovered this album, this artist, all by myself. Bought the CD, listened, loved it, evangelised to my mates.

Then I looked at the date of release, discovered that it had been a radio 2 record of the week, and wondered just why it was that I hadn't been paying attention (though at 44, I still don't believe I'm old enough to be listening to radio 2).

So I come late to the party, and if you're one of those still unaware that it's going on then it's time to knock on the door and come in; you shan't regret it. An album not really of its time, so not one to be in or out of fashion. An album of influences, but not of slavish copying. An album of surface expression and a few grins at nice lines, but also of feeling, musical and lyrical articulation, and a lot of depth. I suspect there's been a lot of hard work and talent gone into making this sound effortless and off the cuff, yet be something that sticks around your head for days after you've played it.

I could go on about this track or that track, but you should buy the album and discover them for yourself without someone else's preconceived ideas to influence you. No really, you should. Trust me. I may have come late to this one, and so might you, but its well worth arriving.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant impulse buy!, 2 May 2004
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
I had never heard any of Thea Gilmore's songs before I bought Avalanche on impulse, after reading numerous rave reviews. I don't know what I was expecting from the album, but what I got was a very pleasant surprise, and one that I have played to death ever since. I can't believe I lived my life without hearing these songs! Thea's voice is raw and full of energy and she puts over the lyrics in such a way that you just know she means what she says, to music that is beautiful and fitting. I admit that on first play, I wasn't too sure about what I heard, but I perservered and thank goodness, because it's definitely a grower. Now I adore this album and wouldn't be without it. My personal favourite tracks are 'God Knows', 'Heads Will Roll' and 'Avalanche' which are all very different in style but similar in excellence. I also love the song 'Juliet' which is probably the most commercial-sounding song on the CD.

It doesn't bother me that none of my friends has heard of Thea, because I'm positive that soon, everyone will know her songs and recognise her talent. I am now trying to decide which of her other albums I should buy next - I'm open to recommendations!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 11 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE (Audio CD)
Ok - a few things to declare. One: I really like Thea Gilmore's work - she must be my favourite non-great (not Dylan/Waits etc.)artist ever, I’d love to give this 5 stars, and I hope the album brings her the popular success she deserves. The second stems from the fact that this album does have a lot of electronics on it, which is quite a departure for Thea. So, two: I don't have problem with electronics (I listen to Radiohead), although you might think so after this.
Having cleared up any prejudices lurking in my closet, I'll get on with it. This album is a bit patchy. It has some excellent, vintage Thea songs some of which are certainly among the best she has ever recorded, but the spaces between seem to have been plastered with what seems to me like soporific filler. Lyrically, these ‘filler’ songs are up to the usual high Gilmore standard, with a lot of description of the natural world, and leafing through the lyrics booklet while I listened to the first song, I thought ‘that looks good’. Unfortunately these songs almost work better as poems (which I suspect is how they started out). This is where the electronics can be a problem. If Thea was singing these songs with just an acoustic guitar, she’d be forced to shift about her delivery, and find decent tunes for them, otherwise there’d be nothing. Unfortunately, the electronics on this album allow a moderately interesting background to be produced, while Thea lazily intones the lyrics somewhere in the middle, sounding half asleep, and getting lost in vocal effects (which are unfortunately needed so Thea’s voice doesn’t sound too out of place – effects are like lies – you need more and more to keep them going). If you can see past the expensive sounding rouge (excellent production from Nigel Stonier), these ‘filler’ songs sound like the cracks between the good songs. Without the electronics to tart these songs up, they’d never have made the cut (at least not as they are), and this would be a better album as a result. We’ve heard a lot of female singer-songwriters sound like this, and frankly, it’s boring. Songs like Mainstream are what have helped Thea stand out from the songwriting pack. Unfortunately this album seems to being shuffling her back into it, just when her chart success may be getting her some deserved attention.
This is not a bad album by any means, and I am being a bit stingy – for the good points see the other reviews (I only have so much space, and I’m in rant mode). Some of the songs are very good, the refreshing Mainstream and Heads Will Roll acting like Speed between the come-downs of the ‘filler’ songs. Maybe it’s a masterful track order, and like a previous reviewer said, takes the listener on a roller-coaster. Maybe; but for me this album has too many flat sections to take me on an emotional journey.
What worries me is that people may buy this album on the strength of the Juliet singles, and find themselves disappointed. If you’re one of those people, I’d recommend hearing Rules for Jokers, Songs from the Gutter or (if you can get it) Burning Dorothy first. They are all much more consistently good, and also (deep breath, which will go unelaborated…) more fun. If you’re already a Thea fan, this album is obviously a must. I’ve missed out Lipstick Conspiracies from that list, because I think it suffers from some of the same problems as Avalanche. Conspiracies contains some great songs at the beginning and the end, but suffers from a flabby middle which contains much looser songwriting (verses drag on, choruses aren’t very lively and the tunes aren’t too hot). Although Avalanche is a better album, more profound, and clearly benefiting from some extra years of living, I think the problems come from the same route. On Conspiracies Thea seemed to be exploring writing songs on a larger scale (longer verses etc.), and the instrumental sound was quite different to her debut. In Avalanche Thea is clearly experimenting with the keyboards, and in this more atmospheric world, in some of the songs sharp lyrics and tunes have given way to mood. After Avalanche, Thea=Enya seems a lot less ridiculous than it should do. All of Gilmore’s albums have Thea experimenting to an extent and I’d hate to pigeon-hole anything as ‘vintage Thea’, but many of the songs on this album are, to me, a couple of notches below par for Thea’s usually very high standard (I'd swap the Juliet b-sides for some of the songs on this album). I’m just hoping that a Rules for Jokers emerges from this Lipstick Conspiracies.

ARRAY(0xb59c20c0)

THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE
THEA GILMORE / AVALANCHE by Thea Gilmore (Audio CD - 2003)