5.0 out of 5 stars The most essential British rock album in years., 21 Mar 2004
This review is from: The Grim Northern Social (Audio CD)
Grim Northern Social are the most explosive live band on the planet right now ... a million times better than anything else you're likely to see this year and this deeply original debut is easily a match for anything Radiohead, Bowie, Stereophonics or Coldplay have come up with in recent years.
Framing Ewan MacFarlane's extraordinary voice (think equal parts Steve Marriott, Alex Harvey and Al Green) are razor-sharp guitar melodies, amphetamine grooves and the stripped-down soul of independent rock in AD2004.
You'll recognise 'Honey' from the radio and while this is one of those albums that takes a few spins to get to know - it certainly doesn't deliver all its charms on first listen - it's got all the true signs of a classic rock record. It's as essential as the first Clash album, Oasis's Definitely Maybe and Radiohead's OK Computer.
If you don't own this CD already, beg, steal or borrow to get it. Soon you'll find yourself carried away by the rush of 'New Rage Hope Song', singing along with 'Clash Of The Social Titans' and getting amped up by the adrenalised punk rock thrills of 'Favourite Girl'.
Oh, and if you happen to think the spirit of Alex Harvey has somehow lodged deep inside the burlesque stomp of 'Star' then I completely agree - it's a gas boys and girls, ain't it?
Total rock'n'roll genius ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Oliver-Leeds, 25 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Grim Northern Social (Audio CD)
After seeing The Grim Northern Social at a Proclaimers concert Last year, i bought the Album there and then and and not stopped listening to it since... absolutely TOP band, they are going to be huge !! brilliant music!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Gem, 11 Nov 2003
Big Sags (Bathgate, West Lothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Grim Northern Social (Audio CD)
This album is an absolute gem. I first heard the band at my local Virgin record store (Edinburgh) and have been hooked since.
From the very first song I find myself stamping my feet and singing along at the top of my voice (where appropriate of course!). Each song has it's own unique character and to single out any one for particular praise would do each of the others an injustice. I've been waiting for something to pique my interest in music again for a number of years and Glasgow has turned out what I truly hope to be a band that lasts for a long time to come.
I can't wait for more from these guys already and look forward to seeing them live again and again.
Give it a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep It Grim, 19 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Grim Northern Social (Audio CD)
I have bought each single and this album after seeing the grim northern social last year and being bewitched. This album has captured the raw feeling of their live set instead of the over-worked sterilized feeling that disappoints with so many others. I recommend checking out the web site as they have a sample of each single and a copy of the video for Honey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just found this absolute gem, 7 Aug 2013
SH_ (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Grim Northern Social (Audio CD)
I'm an old git. I bought Closer when it first came our. This band is a brilliant phenomenon that somehow got away from the commercial swine who tell people what to like. It's a big, confident, accomplished sound with hints of Smiths, Stranglers, Wreckless Eric, Joy Div... But a distinct voice of its own, musically exciting and lyrically grown-up. I am simply amazed that they weren't one of the biggest bands of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proclaimers, 19 Feb 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Grim Northern Social (Audio CD)
I saw the Grim Northern Social at a Proclaimers gig late last year and have followed them ever since.
In my opinion the Darkness are not a patch on this band!!!!
And if you do not believe me, buy this album and see for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant up and coming band, 31 Aug 2003
This review is from: The Grim Northern Social (Audio CD)
I saw Gns at t in the park this year and they were awsome and recntly seen them in a promtional gig in my local virging and they were great
ROCK ON

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Aug 2014
love this

The Grim Northern Social
The Grim Northern Social by Grim Northern Social (Audio CD - 2003)