TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 August 2006
I use mine in the car with a 6gb hard disc player and it has survived very well. Can't say I've ever noticed any mechanism noise, or for that matter any distortion.

At the price I reckon its good value and I'd happily buy another one if and when it stops working.

The main thing is that it enables me to have a 1000 tracks in the car, and not 100 cassettes.
on 13 November 2005
I was going to buy a cheaper adaptor but the really negative reviews put me off.
Bein a fan of Belkin's products I had high expectations of the adaptor, despite it's reasonable price, and I wasn't disappointed. It's great!
The sound quality is good and the adaptor doesn't rattle like I was worried it might.
Having all of my music accessible in the car is great, now I just need to find a way to make my i-pod battery last longer so I'm not constantly recharging it now I can use it wherever I go!
on 21 September 2004
Brilliant product, i must say i was surprised by how well it functioned after all the bad reviews on amazon, but i felt that it was too good a product not to buy and it fascinated me how it worked. i asked around about if it would work in tape players with doors that shut, because this is what i would use it for besides in the car. i was assured it would work, but was still a bit dubious. i am pleased to say that the cable is so thin that it does work in my tape player, although you have to press pause and play?! dont ask me why. it is brilliant white, just like the iPod that it is commonly used for. don't forget that you can also use it with any other product with a headphone socket. very good for using in your car if you have a protable cd player but no cd player in your car. Buy one!
on 18 February 2005
Worked straight out the box. Plugged into Palm Tungsten T5 to play mp3 in car.
No problems with tape deck, sound quality pretty good (somewhere between FM radio and CD). Does the job for for under a tenner.
on 19 March 2006
To it's credit, the belkin does exactly what it says on the box. It plays well and does the job it's intended for, but there are drawbacks that I gave it a three out of five for:
1. The packaging - It's amazing the amount of plugging the box does for the iPod. It makes you sit and wonder if your Creative Zen or iRiver will actually be supported.
2. Distortion - When played at loud volumes, it can distort the music quite badly, so moderation is the key.
3. Aesthetics - A white cassette. Kudos to the art department there...
Go for this if you are strapped, but if you can afford the Sony one, stay away from this.
on 24 January 2006
The Belkin cassette adapter does exactly what it says on the tin. I use it in my car with my Creative Zen Touch 40GB. On reading other reviews it becomes apparent that you do need to switch the volume of your mp3/cd player to about 80% or you will suffer from distortion. However you can then use your car stereo volume dial to increase the volume.
The adapter does suffer from one problem (hence only 3 stars) in that it is particularly noisy, in that the cogs and dials inside it seem to grind away making a small amount of noise. However for 8 pounds delivered you can't hold this against the adapter. You will struggle to find a device for 8 pounds that doesn’t. Belkin offer a lifetime guarantee, so really this is a risk free purchase.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2004
I bought one of these so that I can listen to my iPod in the car. It is basically a cassette with a wire with a 3.5mm headphone jack on the end. Plug it into any audio out socket and away you go.
I bought this particular cassette adapter because a few reviews for other similar products said that the adapters would break after a small amount of use. This Belkin one comes with a lifetime warranty so hopefully I have got my money's worth.
The wire only comes out of one corner of the cassette, so if you have a front-loader cassette where the tape heads are on the left (do these exist?), then I doubt this adapter will work for you. I guess it's possible to take the adapter apart and route the wire out the other end though (this will probably invalidate the warranty though).
Sound quality is fair, it's not as clear as the FM radio in the car though I use this cassette adapter in favour of the iTrip FM gizmo due to interference problems with the iTrip. The sound sounds a bit muffled to my ears, but I have not yet fiddled with the iPod equaliser settings which may well fix some of the muffling effects.
All in all, the cassette adapter is a very cheap way to get your portable music player to connect to your car. It's way, way cheaper than full integration kits such as the "Denison Ipod ice-link" (I wish!) and simply does "just the job". It's not great but it's pretty useful as a temporary fix until MP3 players become standard in cars.
on 13 October 2007
I bought this instead of getting a CD player for my car, since most of my music is on my Creative Zen player anyway, and have had problems from day one. The sound from the tape itself is loud, the sound cuts out every so often while the tape clicks and makes loud sounds (maybe trying to switch sides), and sometimes after cutting out it comes back at a completely different volume, which could actually be pretty dangerous when it suddenly blasts out the speakers at twice the volume, as well as always having to adjust the volume instead of watching the road. The build quality is also poor - it feels cheap and the cable fibres eventually wore out meaning the volume and balance changes depending on how the wire's bent. When it is working, the sound quality is as good as through earphones with my mp3 player, but the constant cutting out and now the damaged wire can make it almost unusable.
on 20 April 2006
It was a good little gadget untill the wire broke. I hardly used it and never miss treated it. Would have expected it to last longer than a few months. In my opinion they should put a stronger wire on it and maybe it would last abit longer.
on 17 June 2005
I bought one of these and was pleased with the sound. However I was less pleased with the loud mechanical clicking emanating from the cassette player. I carefully took it to bits and found that minute particles of rubber from the little band (?) had found their way into one or two cogs. Brushed them out with a small brush, put it back together, great - total quiet from the cassette.

See one answered question