Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£61.95+ £1.26 shipping

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 December 2010
The previous album Irlish showed a promising sign that Gilbert O'Sullivan could still write songs of amazing originality and lyricism. When I listened to this album, it immediately brought me back the wonderful memories of when I first encountered O'Sullivan's deeply moving songs in the 70s. Every song in this album has the same striking uniqueness and melodiousness of the songs included in O'Sullivan's great albums released in the 70-80s.

In sharp contrast to 'Irlish', 'Piano Foreplay' has a jam session-like feeling, with some influence of modern jazz which is reminiscent of Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years. O'Sullivan himself mentions the arrangements were done without use of synthesizer and drum machine, but with basic instruments like piano, keyboard, guitar, double bass to achieve live-like feeling. Another feature of this album is that it includes many great love songs of gentle wistfulness like 'Make my day', 'God forbid', 'I gave mine to you', 'You, me and the garden post', and 'What's it all supposed to mean?'

This is no doubt one of the most memorable albums in decades and the one I cherish alonside his 5 albums released in the 70s. The source of inspiration for songwriting seems inexhaustible for O'Sullivan, nor his passion for creativity!
on 15 February 2004
Once again, Gilbert O'Sullivan provides amusement with words - and that's just the title! Piano Foreplay still proves that Gilbert O'Sullivan can still write the catchy songs that he has become famous for. The opening track, 'It Never Rains But It Pours', is not only use of a well-known proverb but it eases you into the album. The best song of the album is 'Make My Day' which is classic Gilbert. Other tracks house wacky titles such as 'Conversation With The Flying Plates' and 'You Me And The Garden Post', the latter being a sombre and melodic ballad which definitely defies its title. Towards the end of the album we have another classic Gilbert track with 'Will I Do?'. 'World Of Work' finishes off thirteen tracks of plain good music. It has to be said that this is not Gilbert's best ever album but it is certainly up in the top five.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 December 2010

This is no doubt one of the most memorable albums in decades and the one I cherish alonside 5 albums released in the 70s. The source of inspiration for songwriting seems inexhaustible for O'Sullivan, nor his passion for creativity!
on 26 November 2004
I recently went to see Gilbert in Manchester for the 1st time and i gota say he is a God! His music is mixed, with the emotional sad songs of 'Miss My Love' and 'Alone Again (Naturally)'to the pop rock of 'Get Down'! Some of his lyrics are serious, some aren't, but all seem to have a hidden meaning or event that has happened to him in reality.
'Piano Foreplay' is his newest original album and its fab!
My favourite 3 songs are 'Make My Day', 'Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Such Is Life)' and the wicked 'World of Work'.
This album is different in the sense that it is kinda sad in parts and then happy in others but whatever anyone says, Gilbert is the best!
He brings a new album out each few years, i can't wait for his next one!
Get this and the 'Berry Vest Of'! They rule!
on 16 June 2005
As the owner of a pitifully small (now two!) collection of GOS albums, what a complete surprise it was to find that this latest one was truly magnificent. Always on the player both at home and on the go... songs for every mood and with a humour and emotion that so few can manage these days. Best of all, I can't stop singing them, from Make My Day to It Never Rains But It Pours ("course, being a Monday, would be the one day trains are delayed by the score, and it never rains but it pours - mine's not due for a week!") to the wonderful Conversation With The Flying Plates. GOS has a unique view of the world, amply demonstrated on this album and I, for one, wouldn't be without it.
I had fogotton Gilbert O'Sullivan. Now I have remembered him.

He has come a long way from the sickly sweet tunes he is remembered for.

This was a refreshing and altogether more modern O'sullivan.

But the current price of this CD is staggeringly stupid - over £40.00 Really ?
on 11 August 2004
I think Piano Foreplay shows Gilbert back on a high artificial level again. There have been numerous albums during the past years, but this jazzy CD is superb. I especially like 'Answers On A Postcard (Please)'. The sphere that Ray creates here is very emotional, especially if you have recently lost a friend. It is a cry of a lonesome, from the level 'Alone Again (Naturally)' was. Another - totally different type of - song I like is 'A Love So'; it shows what a superb word-magician Ray is. And 'Make My Day' is top-easy-listening; McCartney-level (or higher)!
It is really a pitty that nowadays so little is heard of Gilbert; recently he performed in Japan. We'd like to see him in Holland again!!
on 13 October 2003
Gilbert back to his best.like he did in the 70's with great musician's backing him.Make my day,the best track.
on 3 January 2016
excellent i would recommend this seller to any potential customer
on 4 August 2015