5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, simple, affordable grinder.
I was somewhat sceptical about buying this grinder loooking at people's reviews on here, but I'm glad I bought it.

In response to negative points, particularly on the 1* review, I believe there may have been a fault with theirs, I have experienced no such problem with attaching the handle, and the instructions explain how to adjust the grind.

I'm...
Published on 9 Sep 2008 by Charlie Styr

3.0 out of 5 stars Hand ground coffee... nothing better
I bought this as a gift for my partner and it has been used every day since it arrived. We are very happy with the coffee mill and wanted something sustainable rather than going for something that would use electicity and be another unused gadget in the back of the kitchen cupboard.
Published on 21 July 2009 by Simon H. Bailey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, simple, affordable grinder., 9 Sep 2008
Charlie Styr (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)

I'm using this primarily for a french press, but I had an experiment as to how fine the grind was to go, and I got it to a very fine grind, that was exceptionally even, ideal for espresso really, particularly for this price. Of course, at that fineness it would take a while, which leads me on to a point about speed.

I use a Kitchenaid Proline grinder at home partnered with my espresso machine, and that churns through the coffee, at amazing pace, I was somewhat taken aback at how much turning you actually have to do to get enough for an 800ml press. Having said that, you should work out the ideal rotating speed, as I find that going to fast takes the grinding speed down as the beans have a harder time getting into the mechanism.

With regards to the other negative point about the wooden drawer. I can imagine it may be a little cramped if you were grinding for a very large press, but otherwise, I have had no problems. Furthermore, I'm not sure why you'd need to clean it as the coffee comes out with a nice tap, there is very little I would complain about with regards to the drawer.

All in all, it's a very solid device, and not only all of this, but it looks neat too, really quite elegant sitting in your office, or in your kitchen. And at ~15 it's a real bargain. I really do recommend it, I'm very happy!

Charlie -

3.0 out of 5 stars Hand ground coffee... nothing better, 21 July 2009
Simon H. Bailey (Edinburgh, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
We are pleased with the mill save for the fact that if you fill the receiving bowl too much the beans tend not to fall into the grinder and it takes a lot of shaking and proding to get the beans properly ground up. Other than that it is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black coffee mill, 2 Sep 2006
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Friendly firm and excellent to deal with.Easy to assemble and use.Ease of access to ground coffee/spices.Highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Not satisfactory, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
This is the first item bought from Amazon I've felt the need to return. I don't recommend it, for the following reasons: one, though it can be adjusted for fineness of grind, it will not go fine enough for a good espresso; two, grinding seems to take for ever - even grinding enough for one cup of coffee takes many minutes, during which time you have to pick up and shake the machine to ensure the beans are dropping into the burr wheel, otherwise they stay outside - occasionally the machine will even throw them out of the top as well; three, the handle (a sloppy fit onto the spindle to start with) keeps working loose, and you have to keep stopping to tighten it - many times during the course of preparing one cup. To sum up: it's not a practical solution to providing freshly ground coffee at home, because it's not well designed nor well made. Product returned with regret - I really wanted to like it; burr grinding makes sense if your enjoyment of coffee is at all sophisticated, and I've no objection to using muscle power rather than electricity. However, this product is not fit for purpose, in my view.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy, 2 Jan 2011
Amazon Customer (Albion, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
I have to say this is worthless. Despite repeated adjustments by 3 different people, this does not work properly. The beans do not fall through despite shaking, banging, and even dumping everything out and starting over again. I plan on giving this to goodwill and getting a better one.

1.0 out of 5 stars grinder for people with all day!, 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Takes ages to grind enough beans for a medium sized cafetiere as you have to keep shaking and winding the handle the other way to get the beans to catch. Over time the grind gets courser and courser and in the end it is no better than putting the beans in a food processor. If I can find the box I will send it back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and eco-friendly, 6 Jan 2009
M. G. Newsom (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
I ordered this for my husband for Christmas. I was worried he might have preferred an electric one but he loves this too. It's fantastic and doesn't take that long (usually we're just making coffee for the two of us), in fact it's much quicker and easier than I thought from reading earlier reviews.

I like the idea of avoiding yet another electronic kitchen appliance, plus I've read that many electric grinders are very noisy. I thought this would be a more pleasant sound first thing in the morning (though it may need a drop of WD40 as it squeaks a bit).

I find it a really pleasant experience to grind the coffee and you really smell the aroma being released. It's also quite smart looking, so we just keep it out on the countertop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grinder Extraordinaire, 22 Jan 2004
AD Woods (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
This easy to use, high quality grinder is both simple and effective. The simple manual design copes with all beans indiscriminately

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent budget mill, 26 Feb 2009
J. Walton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
When i bought this i was looking for something to grind the ingredients for curry powders with as my old mortar and pestle could leave me grinding all night long. After i'd unpacked the mill it only took a couple of minutes to assemble and then i got straight down to putting all the ingredients in the top and was pleasantly surprised with the results. After a little trial and error I was able to produce a very fine grind, much better than i was expecting from such an inexpensive piece of kit. My only criticism is that the mill is pretty tricky to disassemble for cleaning but then if you're only going to be grinding coffee I don't think that this would be too much of an issue. If you're looking for something a bit quicker maybe an electric mill would be a better option but overall, for price and functionality, with this, you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard work but worth it, 16 July 2009
This review is from: La Cafetiere Coffee Mill, Black (Kitchen & Home)
It can take a while to grind the beans according to their falling into the chute towards the grinding element.

However, it is worth all the time spent on it at it provides a great ground coffee for a French press coffee pot, which makes in turn a light and nice drinking coffee, without the 'mud' usually coming at the bottom of the cup with ready-made ground coffee.

Also, it needs to be turned clockwise, otherwise, if the handle is turned anti-clockwise, the grinding element unscrews itself from the handle when the beans get in and the pressure becomes more important.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›