5.0 out of 5 stars a little advise from italy
being from italy, I feel entitled to give some advice on coffee making:

1) the moka machine is THE italian way of home coffee brewing; espresso electric machines are beginning to spread, but the "caffettiera" is how we italians typically make coffee.
2) bialetti is commonly known as the best brand on the market.
3) don't heap the coffee too much in...
Published on 31 July 2011 by S. Romano

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the poor manufacturing quality
First off, I admit I haven't used this pot yet so I'm writing a "review" based on first impressions:

- Cute authentic box; pot wrapped in nice Bialetti paper
- BUT there seems to be no easy way to remove the filter by hand. This is going to make cleaning the pot quite annoying. The last Ikea pot I had made it very easy to remove the filter.
- Various...
Published 7 months ago by Jack Ukleja

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver, 22 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I bought one of these last year when they were reduced to £10. Best tenner I ever spent at Amazon. Makes great espresso for home made lattes etc. Its a great way to kick start the day on those sleepy winter monrings. One thing to bear in mind is that it gets very hot (burny, burny hot!) and I've made a mark on my kitchen surface by putting it down straight from the hob. Beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and unexpensive coffee, 28 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I used to brew coffe with an old 1-cup moka express (don't remember which manufacturer) and this Bialetti pot is truly something different. You can get really good tasting coffee from it if you give it some love. It won't make real espresso, though, but it can be a good solution for those who love coffee and don't want to spend a fortune in a real espresso machine.

Don't forget to dispose the first or even the second coffee you brew in order to "season" the pot. Coffee will taste better with time if you follow the instructions, especially if you wash it only with water, so don't even think about using your dishwasher. Also, don't let the coffee boil when it fills the top chamber because that would ruin its taste.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moka Express 3 cup, 9 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
Bialetti is one of the best coffee maker manufacturer in Italy. I have used it since I was borne (I am Italian!). I find the three cup one to suit me best.....I usually have a bit more than one cup in the morning and it leaves me just enough for a caffe latte when I get back from work! The only down side is that it can accumulate scale if you live in area with hard water. Over all.......I could not live without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant Simplicity Which Works, 16 Sept. 2013
Frenz (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
Ok, ok it's not Espresso because it operates with 1.5 bars of pressure and an Espresso machine works at 9 bars. Well, the more expensive and higher up in the range Espresso machines do. But what the pundits are not telling us is that up until 1948 that pressure was the only Espresso there was which was why the Moka pot was Espresso for the home. So while it's not on a par with modern Espresso machines it's still Espresso as it originally was.

On to the 3-cup Bialetti Moka Express: Fill the bottom section with cold water up to just below the valve, drop in the funnel and loosely fill it with ground coffee ensuring it's level and there are no grounds on the rim and then screw on the top section and place it over a low heat. When it gurgles the coffee is done so remove it from the heat. That's all it takes to make very high quality coffee.

Some people will say to fill it with hot or even boiling water. But if you do that you'll first of all burn your hand because it will get hot. Secondly you won't get a full pot of coffee because a lot of the water will uncondense and flow back into the lower chamber. A moka pot works best when started with cold water over a low heat.

Again some people say to adjust the strength of the coffee by adjusting the amount of coffee while others complain that it doesn't make full cups: No, no, no. The funnel is still filled and the strength is adjusted by diluting the finished coffee with water for an Americano or milk for a Cappuccino or Latte. Remember what I said at the beginning: It's Espresso so what you get is Espresso shots, in fact 3 of them in the 3-cup size and what we usually but not always do with Espresso shots is dilute them. If the coffee is too strong after dilution we use a lighter roast coffee and if it's too weak we use a darker roast coffee.

Lastly the quantity of coffee of the 3-cup size: The bottom chamber is filled to just below the valve with cold water and thats around 150ml. What you end up with in the top pot is around 120ml of coffee because some water is left in the bottom chamber due to steam getting cooler and turning back into water. When the coffee is diluted with water 1:1 there is enough to fill a regular mug but you might like to dilute it 1:2. What that gives you is an "Americano" which is basically one or more Espresso shots turned into a weaker coffee we more usually get from a Cafetiere, Filter or Percolator. For a Capuccino or Latte the dilution is more usually 1:2 or even 1:3. But in that case don't forget your Bialetti Tuttocrema Frother.

In conclusion my rating is of course 5 stars. If I could give it 10, 20 or even 100 stars that's what I would give it and more. It's an Italian classic first made in the 1930's and the first of its kind. If you want the latest do everything miracle or fad you won't like this. But if you just want the best coffee you ever tasted you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 8 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I've had a bunch of coffee makers and this Bialetti is the cheapest and yet it produces the best coffee - by country mile. Added convenience that you can tuck it away in the cupboard, rather than having another appliance cluttering up your kitchen worktop. Tip: If you like Cappuccino, then add a Bodum Latteo Milk Frother to your basket too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
Well-made and robust but very small - if you have a gas ring of any kind you must order the difuser as well. I would think that the only kind of stove that would not need one is ceramic. The espresso maker makes lovely strong coffee but be aware that 3 cups is very misleading. A full pot fills half an average mug which can the be topped up with hot water and milk, perfect for me as I live alone. I tried using my espresso cups (which is what the 3 cup description means) and only got just less than 2 cups. It really is VERY small but OK for single users. It looks very cute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bialetti ME 3 Coffee Maker, 12 April 2010
Mrs. S. J. Stout "sam" (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I absolutely love this coffee maker. I don't use it to make 3 espresso cups, more like 1 mug of coffee or a large latte! It is very easy to use. Basically unscrew the bottom, fill it with water, put the filter in, fill that with coffee then put it on the hob for 2 mins and hey presto you have a house filled with the lovely aroma & a lovely cup to fill up on. It's very easy to clean and amazon have a new filter you can purchase if that starts to pack up on you. It gets 5/5 from our house!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase on Amazon, 8 Oct. 2009
R. D. S. (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I previously spent an insane amount of money on an electronic, space-killing, heavy and completely worthless piece of equipment to make a crappy cappuccino. The machine took an extremely long time and was very messy. These are perfect for everyday home use and the quality is fantastic, and I'm a huge coffee snob. Get a three cup Bialetti along with a milk frother (heat the milk first contrary to what other idiots here recommend) and you will be able to make 3 pretty small cappuccinos, 2 decent sized ones or 1 very large one. My life was a mess before I made the purchase, I can now die a happy man.

5.0 out of 5 stars great coffee, 2 April 2009
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I've been using the expresso maker for the past month and enjoying great coffee ever since. It takes about 3 minutes from start to finish to get a full coffee pot. Really easy to wash up as well.
I find that it makes two good size expresso shots rather than three, but then i'm using it in a big mug making latte's or americano's.
Would happily recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
Like most things in life I persumed you pay for what you get. Wrong. This is the best 17 sheets i've spent and that includes my wifes wedding ring from Argos. I spend a small fortune at various coffee houses and needed a solution. The Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 3 Cup is the solution. If you grind your own beans and are patient you can get excellent coffee as good as you get in the coffee houses without the inconvenience of incompetent staff, over priced products and about as much atmosphere as the moon. With the Bialetti you get a slice of Italy without all that travelling lark. My advice Buy it and never look back.

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›