5.0 out of 5 stars a little advise from italy
being from italy, I feel entitled to give some advice on coffee making:

1) the moka machine is THE italian way of home coffee brewing; espresso electric machines are beginning to spread, but the "caffettiera" is how we italians typically make coffee.
2) bialetti is commonly known as the best brand on the market.
3) don't heap the coffee too much in...
Published on 31 July 2011 by S. Romano

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by the poor manufacturing quality
First off, I admit I haven't used this pot yet so I'm writing a "review" based on first impressions:

- Cute authentic box; pot wrapped in nice Bialetti paper
- BUT there seems to be no easy way to remove the filter by hand. This is going to make cleaning the pot quite annoying. The last Ikea pot I had made it very easy to remove the filter.
- Various...
Published 6 months ago by Jack Ukleja

5.0 out of 5 stars a little advise from italy, 31 July 2011
S. Romano (Partinico, Sicily Italy) - See all my reviews
being from italy, I feel entitled to give some advice on coffee making:

2) bialetti is commonly known as the best brand on the market.
3) don't heap the coffee too much in the funnel, it should be just a little over the brim of the funnel; leave it fairly loose and above all DON'T press it down.
4) screw tight the top chamber, and always make sure the gum sealing ring is in good conditions - change it 2 or 3 times a year, or when you see it dry and/or cracked.
3) put the caffettiera on LOW heat.
4) turn off the heat when you see the coffee's filled the top chamber and, above all, when you hear the coffee *just begin to gurgle* in the top chamber. that's the sign the coffee's ready.
5) before pouring the coffee, stir it gently; actually, i don't know if it's only a legend, but it seems the first coffee out is the stronger, the last out the milder, so stirring it should produce an even mix. anyway, in italy we always stir it before pouring!
that's that!
p.s. - not an italian use, but once in a while i add to the coffee grounds in the funnel just the tip of a spoon of cinnamon, or two o three grains of cardamon, or even a dash of szechuan pepper - nice result; you can experiment with your own spiced coffee ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bialetti Brilliance, 5 Feb 2009
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
If you love coffee, you'll love this!
We also have a cafatiere for more run of the mill coffee, but if you like espresso or making mocha essoressos etc, this is a must have.
You just fill the bottom section with water, pop the coffee in the filter section, screw the top on and place it on the hob. It takes about three minutes or so to percolate.
Very handy size for camping as well, or even just a day out on a drive :)
Very sturdy, quality product which will likely last for years, the only downside is that on reflection, I should have gone for the six-cup model (I drink entirely too much coffee!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Moka Express 3 cup, 9 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
Bialetti is one of the best coffee maker manufacturer in Italy. I have used it since I was borne (I am Italian!). I find the three cup one to suit me best.....I usually have a bit more than one cup in the morning and it leaves me just enough for a caffe latte when I get back from work! The only down side is that it can accumulate scale if you live in area with hard water. Over all.......I could not live without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moka Express 3 Cup, 7 Mar 2009
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
Cheaper than in the shops (generally you pay upwards of 20 quid). Arrived quickly. Does the job. You can never really go wrong with a Bialetti - they're essentially THE only espresso maker! Just don't pack the coffee down too much, don't fill the water higher than the valve, do it up nice and tight, heat it up as slowly as you have the patience for, and rinse afterwards with water only.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver, 22 Nov 2007
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I bought one of these last year when they were reduced to £10. Best tenner I ever spent at Amazon. Makes great espresso for home made lattes etc. Its a great way to kick start the day on those sleepy winter monrings. One thing to bear in mind is that it gets very hot (burny, burny hot!) and I've made a mark on my kitchen surface by putting it down straight from the hob. Beware!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not an espresso maker - its a moka pot!, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
This is a very good "moka pot". Please note, especially those who wrote negative reviews: Despite the advertising, this is not and was never intended to be an espresso maker. These are the traditional Italian stove-top coffee makers - the most popular way of making coffee (or "cafe") in Italy. It makes coffee not an espresso for which you need an espresso maker. "Espresso" refers to the technique of making coffee under high pressure (9 bars), higher than what can be achieved in these "moka-pots" (about 1.5 bars). If you went to Italy and called the coffee made in one of these "espresso" you would get some very odd looks.

So with that out of the way this is a very good stove top coffee maker. I own one and would recommend others to buy. If you use good quality coffee (another requirement) you can enjoy a thick and strong coffee best drunk from those small Italian style coffee cups (that we mistakenly call espresso cups). Don't expect a full mug from this. When it mentions 3 cups it means 3 of the small Italian cups. And I wouldn't recommend getting a six cup maker and filling a mug full as one reviewer has as this is very strong neat coffee. If you want a mug full make an "Americano" by adding one or two shots of coffee and topping up with hot water just as they do in Italy.

However I've only given 4 stars as nowadays there are other brands out there that do the same job for less money, though the manufacturing can be a little inferior.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent budget choice for making espresso, 12 Jan 2004
FoodLover (West Lafayette, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I have bought this product a month ago. We are absolutely delighted with Moka Ekspress. We stuck to espresso a few years ago making it in different ways from simple glass beaker to a cheap espresso machine. This aluminum Moka Ekspress is the best budget choice, if you are not ready to buy a real expensive espresso maker. Its the biggest advantages are that it keeps coffee warm much longer than any other coffee makers as well as makes the excellent taste. I highly recommend Moka Elspress to anyone loving strong coffee. Try it on Italian Lavazzo espresso coffee. It is very convenient in use except the only drawback which is that you can easily spoil your Moka Ekspress by forgetting to add water in a cup if you are not very careful person. You can easily replace the burnt rubber part if you live in Italy, not in other country. I did that twice during last month and have to buy a new one - Moka Ekspress, of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Addicted.., 4 Mar 2010
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
This makes a nice cup of coffee! I use it to make a sort of latte, with the help of the Bodum 1446 Latteo Milk Frother, which I've also reviewed. It's quick, easy to use and clean. I've used it every day since I bought it and am addicted.

How I use the machine and frother to make a latte:

1. Fill up the middle filter with some spoonfuls of coffee
2. Fill up the base with a bit of water
3. Put on the gas ring and leave to boil (takes about 3 mins I find)
4. In the meantime, fill the milk frother to the line (for one cup, overfill for more) and put in the microwave on full power for about 2.30-3 mins
5. Once the coffee maker starts steaming take it off gas, fill up the bottom of your your cup with the expresso
6. Top the cup up to about 2/3rds full with your hot milk
7. Get frothing your milk then fill the last 1/3 with the froth
8. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent moka pot, 13 April 2008
C. S. Koh (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
I'm new to making coffee with moka pots, but the Moka Express has proven to be both simple and effective for the job.

The 3 cup version only fills my mug to about the halfway mark, but given the strength of the moka coffee I don't think I'd be able to take much more - so I either add water to make a pseudo-Americano, or hot milk if I'm in the mood for a Latte.

The Moka Express seems very sturdy and has not left an aluminium taste in even my first few cups of coffee. I look forward to putting this coffee pot to good use. The 3-cup size is good if you're only making coffee for yourself, or if you only want about 1 espresso shot for your drink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big things come in small packages!, 26 Feb 2009
N. Mitchell "Nomes" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moka Express (3 cup) (Kitchen & Home)
mmmmmmmm there's nothing quite like waking up with a good strong cup of hot coffee in the morning. This little coffee 'machine' will always be an essential accessory in my kitchen. I've been using the 6 cup coffee machine but it never really kicked out as much flavor or strength that the 3 cup coffee maker ever did. Don't get me wrong both machines are great although if you're after a short strong kick then the smaller maching is definately your choice. The coffee stayes hot in the top compartment for a long time after you've boiled the water, it's compact, light weight, very very durable, easy to clean and looks great in the kitchen too :). It'll save you a fortune as you won't need to take so many trips to starbucks or similar coffee shops to get your £3 caffeine hit!

Moka Express (3 cup)