This is a very well made traditional espresso maker. It's solid, fits well together, and the handle is comfortable. The thick base to the water reservoir part means it doesn't heat up *too* fast over a gas flame, though if you are using gas, make sure you don't let the flames lick up the side of the machine.

Now, for the quality of the espresso it makes. I must...
Published on 2 May 2006 by kymara

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with the seal
Having read through the other customer reviews, we purchased our Bialetti just after Christmas. Initially, it was fantastic; made a far better cup of coffee than the local cafes and saving us a fortune! However, in the last couple of days, my husband and I have noticed that the taste of the coffee has changed. I recall reading a review in which they had a problem with...
Published on 19 Jan 2010 by Michelle Vernon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent traditional machine - perfect for short/medium long coffees for 2, 2 May 2006
kymara - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

Now, for the quality of the espresso it makes. I must admit I was disappointed with this at first - I had been used to a high pressure espresso machine which made thick creamy espresso. At first when using this maker I followed the instructions exactly - not 'tamping down' the coffee and not grinding it too fine. This made a fairly weak espresso. In fact the 6 cup amount made me two good longish coffees, still an improvement in taste over my cafetiere coffee.

To achieve a better espresso I got advice from my Italian and Greek friends. They grew up with these machines, and told me to grind the coffee slightly finer than instructed, and to tamp it down gently (not too hard or you block the holes.) This made me the rich espresso I wanted.

Lastly, about these coffee makers, take them off the heat a little before all the water in the bottom evaporates (also a knack to learn when this is!) You avoid the bitter-end-coffee, and you make sure you're not going to leave the machine to dry out over the heat and possibly get damaged.

You may be interested in quantity - everyone's idea of 'cup' is different. I imagine the 'cup' here is a very short espresso as I usually get about 4 espresso measures out, i.e. 2 double espresso. If I'm using it to make longer coffee, it make me two mugs. It'd be a perfect size if there were two coffee drinkers in your house. For one (like me) it leaves spare for the next day. (I don't reheat the coffee, just add it cold to very hot milk/water, this works well for me.) If you don't want that, or wastage, and are sure you won't want to make coffee for more than 1 person ever, try the 3 cup model.

In all I'm very glad I bought it, and would recommend it to anyone, it just takes a little experimenting to get your coffee how you like it. But even if you're used to espresso from an expensive machine, you should be able to adjust this to get something to satisfy you. In particular, this is an excellent brand, the maker is very well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars a little advise from italy, 31 July 2011
S. Romano (Partinico, Sicily Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bialetti ME-3 Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
being from italy, I feel entitled to give some advice on coffee making:

1) the moka machine is THE italian way of home coffee brewing; espresso electric machines are beginning to spread, but the "caffettiera" is how we italians typically make coffee.
2) bialetti is commonly known as the best brand on the market.
3) don't heap the coffee too much in the funnel, it should be just a little over the brim of the funnel; leave it fairly loose and above all DON'T press it down.
4) screw tight the top chamber, and always make sure the gum sealing ring is in good conditions - change it 2 or 3 times a year, or when you see it dry and/or cracked.
3) put the caffettiera on LOW heat.
4) turn off the heat when you see the coffee's filled the top chamber and, above all, when you hear the coffee *just begin to gurgle* in the top chamber. that's the sign the coffee's ready.
5) before pouring the coffee, stir it gently; actually, i don't know if it's only a legend, but it seems the first coffee out is the stronger, the last out the milder, so stirring it should produce an even mix. anyway, in italy we always stir it before pouring!
that's that!
p.s. - not an italian use, but once in a while i add to the coffee grounds in the funnel just the tip of a spoon of cinnamon, or two o three grains of cardamon, or even a dash of szechuan pepper - nice result; you can experiment with your own spiced coffee ...

4.0 out of 5 stars It Makes, mmm, Coffee, 18 Jan 2010
Having made coffee in a cafetiere for years, I thought I'd try out one of these Bialetti espresso makers.

But the first question was: what size? 1, 2, 3 cups...? I took pot luck (no pun intended!) and selected this "6 cup" Moka Express. I'm not sure about Bialetti's cup sizes but filling the water tank to the 'maximum' mark produces enough coffee for one standard coffee mug and about three of the little Pantone Colour Match Espresso Cups and Saucer in Coffee Colours, Set of 4.

The product appears well made and of suitably high quality. You can buy spare parts which is always a good sign (filters, seals and handles) that a product is expected to be with you for years to come.

Obviously what the coffee actually tastes like is more a factor of coffee bean choice, but this does improve the flavour of my coffee relative to the cafetiere method - and it looks pretty cool too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee, 1 Jan 2012
Bea (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Being of Italian ancestry and growing up in South America, I remember having one of those around the house since ever. My nonna had one for 40+ years, the only damage was a broken handle (and of course you must replace the rubber rings when they wear out), so they are excellent quality. Having seen, and being fascinated as a kid with the coffee spluttering out, it being used nearly everyday during my childhood and teen years I knew exactly how to use it and it makes the "real" coffee I'm used to. It's nearly fool proof after you learn the water/coffee rate - use an espresso cup to measure the water he first few times, and put more/less coffee according to the number of cups and strength you prefer, you don't need to fill the filter to the brim all the time, only if you like extremely strong coffee or making the full 6 cups (I use 3/4 tank of water, 1/2 full filter of strength 5 coffee for a large mug of coffee/latte). Use filtered/mineral water if possible, a decent quality coffee, put on a medium heat and take a bit of time as it's not as quick as other machines, but the taste it's completely different, much richer, and very very hot. Remember to rinse (just rinse, no washing up liquid, use paper towels to dry/wipe any residues) and fully dry the machine when it's cooled down and should last you for generations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bialetti Brilliance, 5 Feb 2009
This review is from: Bialetti ME-3 Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
If you love coffee, you'll love this!
We also have a cafatiere for more run of the mill coffee, but if you like espresso or making mocha essoressos etc, this is a must have.
You just fill the bottom section with water, pop the coffee in the filter section, screw the top on and place it on the hob. It takes about three minutes or so to percolate.
Very handy size for camping as well, or even just a day out on a drive :)
Very sturdy, quality product which will likely last for years, the only downside is that on reflection, I should have gone for the six-cup model (I drink entirely too much coffee!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 8 Aug 2009
I bought this for my husband for his birthday, he runs a mobile coffee franchise in Leeds and we already have a small Gaggia for our small kitchen. He has always wanted to try the stove top!!
It is easy to use and produces strong espresso coffee and it is quick and convenient to use. I would suggest that you buy a 6 cup as this produces enough for 2 big cups/6 espresso cups. Easy to clean. What more can I say!

4.0 out of 5 stars Moka Express 3 cup, 9 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Bialetti ME-3 Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Bialetti is one of the best coffee maker manufacturer in Italy. I have used it since I was borne (I am Italian!). I find the three cup one to suit me best.....I usually have a bit more than one cup in the morning and it leaves me just enough for a caffe latte when I get back from work! The only down side is that it can accumulate scale if you live in area with hard water. Over all.......I could not live without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty and unexpensive coffee, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: Bialetti ME-3 Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I used to brew coffe with an old 1-cup moka express (don't remember which manufacturer) and this Bialetti pot is truly something different. You can get really good tasting coffee from it if you give it some love. It won't make real espresso, though, but it can be a good solution for those who love coffee and don't want to spend a fortune in a real espresso machine.

Don't forget to dispose the first or even the second coffee you brew in order to "season" the pot. Coffee will taste better with time if you follow the instructions, especially if you wash it only with water, so don't even think about using your dishwasher. Also, don't let the coffee boil when it fills the top chamber because that would ruin its taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver, 22 Nov 2007
This review is from: Bialetti ME-3 Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I bought one of these last year when they were reduced to 10. Best tenner I ever spent at Amazon. Makes great espresso for home made lattes etc. Its a great way to kick start the day on those sleepy winter monrings. One thing to bear in mind is that it gets very hot (burny, burny hot!) and I've made a mark on my kitchen surface by putting it down straight from the hob. Beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moka Express 3 Cup, 7 Mar 2009
This review is from: Bialetti ME-3 Coffee Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Cheaper than in the shops (generally you pay upwards of 20 quid). Arrived quickly. Does the job. You can never really go wrong with a Bialetti - they're essentially THE only espresso maker! Just don't pack the coffee down too much, don't fill the water higher than the valve, do it up nice and tight, heat it up as slowly as you have the patience for, and rinse afterwards with water only.

Bialetti ME-3  Coffee Maker