on 23 October 2009
Having broken yet another cafetiere glass I was determined to try stainless steel this time.
And what a great product! Not only is it stylish & easy to clean but also the coffee stays hot in the double-skin insulation.
I really love this & can recommend without hesitation 100%. It's worth the extra money & will last many years.
on 23 February 2013
La Cafietere Thermique 8 cup is an elegant, solid, double walled, stainless steel item. Coffee keeps hot for 40 minutes, comfortably warm for some 15 minutes longer. Any coffee held warm for longer is likely to be too stewed to enjoy.
The three part filter is very similar to that in the glass cafetieres. That's where the difficulty arises. Metal lower plate, metal mesh filter and metal top plate. On my cafetiere the mesh crinkled at the edge, allowing coffee grinds to escape. Steel mesh also makes a grating noise when the plunger is pushed down or raised.
The Bodum equivalent of this cafetiere has a filter edged with a silicone ring that makes a smooth, quiet seal. Coffee pundits declare Bodum and La Cafetiere parts to be incompatible. I've successfully replaced the La Cafetiere original with a Bodum Replacement Cross Plate including Transparent Silicone ring (V1508-ISR)
I now have an elegant and efficient cafetiere.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 November 2010
Have only had this a few days and love using it. Keeps the coffee hot for ages and pours beautifully. Also stylish in looks and easy to clean. One point no other reviewer has mentioned is that you can turn the lid to close off the spout while the coffee is standing, making it even more heat-retentive.
on 17 November 2009
The cafetiere is beautifully made and designed and should last for many years; having broken so many glass one, which also got cool quickly. The double stainless steel shell does work very well and if you let the grains stand for 4 minutes the coffee is hot and full flavoured because the heat is retained to brew the grains correctly. The size allows plenty of cups of coffee or about 3 mugs of coffee. Highly recommended, as is the smaller 3 cup cafetiere.
on 12 December 2009
I bought the small version of this and love it so much I went back for the large family sized one. It's just brilliant and makes a whole family full jug of fresh coffee. We are really sad coffee nerds, and this is the best cafetiere we have come across.
on 19 September 2007
Over the past 25 years I have had many cafetieres and this one is the very best. It has a lovely, smooth action and an excellent design, with a sturdy, ergonomic handle. (The last stainless steel one I had - the handle broke off from the main container). It is beautiful.
on 5 November 2011
I am just pouring myself a third mug of piping-hot coffee from my newly-acquired stainless steel cafetiere. Yes, the double-skinned construction really does keep your coffee hot for longer! And the solid metal design eliminates the possibility of any more broken glass jugs! I have replaced two or maybe three from my previous cafetiere. Why is the glass so wafer-thin I wonder? One of life's mysteries... However, I am happy with my new cafetiere. It appears to be well-made and looks as if it will last for ever. It is also stylish, in my humble opinion anyway, and pours well with no dribbles from the spout. The lid is insulated and quite deep, and partially blocks the pouring orifice to help keep in the heat. Before coffee is poured, one is supposed to rotate the lid to reveal a cutaway. I forget to do this usually, but the only ill-effect is that the cafetiere pours more slowly, which suits me fine. There are still no dribbles! The one-piece construction of the jug and handle means easier washing up, and the whole thing polishes up beautifully afterwards, if I can remember to do this before it dries! The filter/plunger assembly appears to be the same as on the glass cafetiere, and works in the same way. Two heaped dessert spoons of coffee, fill the cafetiere with water just off the boil, leave for four or five minutes, down with the plunger and enjoy piping-hot coffee! Works for me. Also, because the jug is wider at the bottom, there is more insulation there, just where it is needed to keep your next mug-full hot! In fact if you put your hand on the bottom of the jug containing freshly-made coffee, the jug is warm but not hot, a sure sign that the insulation is doing its job. I could have spent a small fortune on an upmarket coffee machine, but decided to try this first, and am not disappointed. Time will tell I suppose, but so far so good.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I paid full price for mine a few years ago - maybe 7 or 8, I think? - but I'm sure I would have paid more over the same period in replacing glass ones. I ordered it locally and it took MONTHS to arrive but a few years ago ordering kitchenware from "a bookshop" was not really the Done Thing. Now we all know better.

I love the style of this pot. No undercuts or complicated surfaces. It's like an early 1960s interpretation of "Modern," before everything became parallel and designed to look like it was chopped out of metal bar or became styled to resemble Alien Technology of some sort with shapes hinting of hidden inner organic mechanisms.

The Thermique is a classic, form-follows-function example of great, elegant, un-ornamented design. If Daleks understood elegance, their Queen would look like this.

Not just looking like a standard-component metal cylinder, this is wider at the base than the top, a simple truncated, domed cone with comfortable handle and functional spout.
Can I say "appendaged frustum?" Thank you, I just did.

It's therefore stable - not much chance of knocking it over.
It is, of course, shiny. I like shiny.
Shiny, shiny… precious

Shiny, shiny… chic.

It is insulated and keeps coffee a bit warmer for a bit longer.
It is not Thermos™ type construction, with a Proper Vacuum up the cavity. I suspect it's a bit of "special" foam stuffed up between the inner and outer skins, which works well enough in the short term and seems to have worked up till now but I have a suspicion it might perish and turn to powder eventually. That is pure pessimistic conjecture and I hope I'm completely wrong.

When drinking alone:
My old Thermos (flask) WILL keep a load of coffee very hot all day.

The Thermique will keep a potful hot enough to see me through the potful IF I rush it and "chain-smoke" the contents. If it's left to stand, it'll be hot enough to take black - but not with milk. Scalding the pot before adding the coffee helps slightly and the manufacturer recommends it.
Please note I do NOT have an asbestos mouth. I scald very - embarrassingly - easily and normally have to let hot food and drink stand before I can take it.

As a pot for two, it's less of an issue; less than two mugs each and it's gone.

The balance is good and it pours well. The spout is deep and actually directs liquid properly, particularly when the shallower end of the lid is over it rather than when it's turned into its "closed" position.

Over vigorous plunging can cause the spout to overflow spectacularly. Proceed with caution.

It's easy to clean out - one can get an entire hand inside, comfortably, to give it a plastic-pad scouring which it will need occasionally because the stainless steel, while not actually staining, seems to attract a persistent film of very stain-like coffee residue.
The plunger assembly is a bit basic and needs more insistent cleaning to get the crud off with occasional hand-tightening to stop it getting loose, probably as a consequence of occasional dismantling for that cleaning. Old toothbrush and Pixie liquid works well but a rinse or a vigorous plunge in and out of the pot full of soapiness works well for routine daily cleaning. Try THAT with a glass model and you'll be drying dishes in the ambulance.

It's obviously more robust than glass but I don't think it would survive floor-bouncing very well and I'm a bit over-protective of it and keep it out of precarious situations such as balancing on top of a mountain of draining dishes which constantly loses us drinking glasses and pyrex bowls and is a bit of a sore point with those of us of an obsessive nature who are driven into apoplectic melt-down by inexplicably cavalierly, destructive behaviour so it's understood that THIS coffee pot stays on a work top, always, unless actually being washed or pouring coffee. If I'm humoured in my despotic requirements, I see no reason why the pot shouldn't outlive all of us and go on to inherit the kingdom with lots and lots of grandchildren and its own blog

The Thermique attracts favourable comment and covetous glances from visitors with a penchant for The Shiny. Ownership seems to be contagious.

When I first came across a coffee press about thirty years ago I was impressed by the simple, elegant idea. I remember saying that I wished someone would make an insulated version but of course nobody did.
Now they - several of them - do, and this one is the nicest I've seen and is the family's most used coffee-making device.

if they ever make a full-on vacuum version, I'd probably buy it but until then, this is the King of Cafetieres. And it's shiny.
on 18 December 2010
This is nice cafetiere which makes great coffee. Before buying I couldn't find anywhere on the details exactly how much its holds. It states it is an 8 Cup which is a meaningless description as what size is a cup? I found it holds around 800ml which is a far more useful measurement. The coffee keeps hotter than a glass one but the only other thing about this type compared to glass is that if you don't want to make a full pot its more difficult to judge how much water you are putting in without being able to see from the outside. Only minor points and I am still very happy with my purchase.
on 5 June 2010
I was a little reluctant to spend the extra money when you can purchase the glass cafetieres for half the price.
But I am so glad I did.
It looks beautiful, and is a real statement piece in your kitchen .I have had friends go out and purchase them after seeing mine. It pours effortlessly and really does keep the coffee hot - it improves the flavour of your coffee .I wish I had bought one sooner, when I think of all the glass cafetieres I have broken over the years this one will last a lifetime!