5.0 out of 5 stars 1. Outside not just for the Insider
Published 19 months ago by Diamond Dog

3.0 out of 5 stars The music is outside
At the time it was his best album since Scary Monsters. It has since been topped by two more albums. Some bad tracks. Some good tracks. It's that simple. Buy his entire 70's catalogue before considering it though.
Published on 16 July 2000 by Christopher Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars 1. Outside not just for the Insider, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
I first bought this album when it came out in 1995 as a cassette tape and as many other posters mention, intially found it somewhat unapproachable and only gradually started to like it by which time my old tape machine had given up the ghost. When I ordered Bowie's superb new album The Next Day, I added 1. Outside as it was one of the few albums of his that I did not have in my CD collection. I am so pleased that I did! Having not heard it for at least 15 years, it has been an absolute joy to be re-acquainted with what must be one of DB's most innovative and interesting works and I've been playing it continuously for the last 10 days!

Together with his other albums from the late '90's (Earthling & Hours), it takes a few plays to get into but it is so worthwhile perservering with all of them as they are excellent despite being either overlooked or dismissed by the critics at the time.

When 1. Outside first came out I was not too keen on the segues as I thought they were an unneccessary distraction from the music but I've got used to them and actually like them now. I guess if Bowie had gone ahead with his intention of producing two further albums on the same Nathan Adler Diaries Hate Crime theme, these interludes would have made more sense.

There is some excellent musicianship here and I think that the criticism from some quarters that Reeves Gabrels brought an unwanted heavy, industrial guitar influence to Bowie's work of the period is unjust. The contribution of previous collaborators such as Eno, Mike Garsen and Carlos Alamor is very welcome as is the emergence of Sterling Campbell as Bowie's favoured drummer.

David Bowie has been responsible for such an extraordinary and varied body of work over the years. Despite reviewers attempts to twin one album with another, I believe part of the joy of being a Bowie fan is that no two albums sound the same, even those that were recorded back-to-back. Occasionally there might be one track that links one album with the next as in Queen Bitch on Hunky Dory linking with Ziggy Stardust or The Secret Life of Arabia on Heroes linking with Lodger but otherwise they all stand on their own.

With the exception of the weak mid/late '80's output, whichever David Bowie album I happen to be playing at the time is my favourite and I would find it impossible to rank them but if I were to, 1. Outside would certainly be close to the top.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true masterpiece!, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
This astonishes me the more I listen to it.Like other reviewers I found some of it a bit impenetrable at first,but repeated listens reveals its countless strengths.The musicians on it are top class and the music unique challenging and brave.His vocals are truly great,how on earth he can sing WishfulBeginnings is beyond me!To me this is up there with Ok Computer and Dark Side Of The Moon as a true great.If only the other 2 had been produced,not that his later albums werent brilliant too.Wonder if he will bring out another work that would be so good!

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling and disturbing ride..., 20 Sep 2006
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
This is an ablum that has to be persevered with, yet will reward those who allow it to. There are many dark and wonderful moments - but, to be honest, it's the overall tone that is most arresting. I find that I go through phases of playing this album over and over again, back-to-back, which is something I very rarely do. It is certainly disturbing, serving up a girl's mutilated body, and then loosely weaving a vague story around it. The segues take a little getting used to, but I have to say, the victim's line, "Something's going to be horrid", as "Hello Spaceboy" opens up lingers long after "Strangers When We Meet" has faded away. It is at times chaotic, rambling, bafflingly opaque, and is all the better for it. Deserves much more recognition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 22 Nov 2008
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
Probably one of the hardest Bowie albums to get into (and thats saying something) but actually one of the most rewarding too. It took me 2 or 3 listens before everything started to fit together, and once it did, it really took hold. It is then that you truely begin to appreciate just what a god Bowie is. Now, if only I could say the same for Never Let Me Down....

5.0 out of 5 stars moody, dark and rhythmic, 1 Mar 2011
P. Winthrop "museic" (morecambe, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
Outside is an album inspired by a morbid age of death in the name of art and art in the name of death. It is not a "song" album, so if you like things to hum or whistle to then buy some of Bowies earlier albums. This album is setting a mood and making a sad reflection of events. I find myself commenting on the production of CD,s quite a lot these days as I have too many albums which are ruined by sloppy mixing and mastering. Top marks to Bowie and Eno who produced this as they really have done an excellent job, it sounds fantastic through the hi fi. This is one to bathe alone in-get rid of the kids and your partner, open a bottle/can and let it take you to a very dark place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deranged, 29 Jun 2013
Mister D (The Royal County) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
1. Outside is not a particularly commercial album and you may find it takes a while to get into. There are a number of reasons for this.

It was originally supposed to be the first part of a trilogy and since part 2 & 3 were never released (at the time of writing this review) it is trying to tell a story that doesn't go anywhere

The segues that pop up occasionally detract from the overall flow of the album so it can feel a little jarring. Weirdly; although this narrative intrudes into the feel of the album, there is not enough of it to explain where you are in the overall story.

I originally purchased this album this album, listened to it a couple of times, went back to Ziggy / Aladdin Sane / Heathen and promptly forgot about it.

So in conclusion, It has a story that is not complete, it doesn't flow well and is (on first listen) confusing.

This doesn't matter a bit though because despite these flaws, it is utterly brilliant.

It contains some of Bowies best tracks. I'm Deranged, Thru these architects eyes, I have not been to oxford town and No Control stand out. So does Hallo SpaceBoy which is very different to the Pet Shop Boys Remix that you will find on the "Best of Bowie" album but just as good.

Once you have listened to it a few times, the story makes sense and the music/spoken words fit into the overall narrative.

Most importantly (for a Bowie album) it is not mainstream or middle of the road. It challenges the listener and stands up to repeat listening.

It took me a few further attempts to get into this album and it is now one of my favourites. I prefer it to that benchmark for later releases (scary monsters) and would advise anyone to persevere with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gothic Masterwork, 7 July 2008
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
It was surely typical that when his successors were experimenting with a lightweight, introspective brand of 'art-rock', David Bowie would produce an album so ambitious and so muscular, it would leave his admirers licking their wounds and wondering what had hit them. 1. Outside is an album no-one else could have made, it purports to have a plot, a concept, telling a story of artcrime and murder. The sleeve contains the story and yet anyone trying to piece the story and the music together to form a coherent narrative will surely be disappointed. This isn't a work of cohesion- it's about a series of disjointed sounds and images that combine to create a fascinatingly dense and disorientating landscape.

The energy and volume on tracks such as The Heart's Filthy Lesson or Hello Spaceboy are infectious, dance tracks like no others, industrial and harsh but beautifully played. The Motel is one of the most beautiful tracks he has ever recorded, Mike Garson's piano conjuring up a magical jazz-tinged backing to Bowie's vocal which manages to be both majestic and reflective, the lyrics bleak yet inspiring. It is a sense of loss and desperation he conjures up in No Control and I'm Deranged, songs which explore a sense of disenfranchisement, exploring the parameters of society. The cruelly underrated 'Wishful Beginnings' is creepy and sinister and yet having conjured up so many bleak and frightening musical landscapes, Bowie chooses to finish with the lushly romantic 'Strangers When We Meet'.
This album is possibly too long, but you could say the same about Hamlet, just about any of Dickens' major novels and many great films. Here, we
are invited to explore a vision of a unique world and I cannot think of many other albums which bring so many diverse elements together into such a strange and magical manner.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Flawed Masterpiece, 21 July 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
Firstly, I would like to apologise for not giving this five stars, I feel I really ought to because 'Outside' along with 'Heathen' and 'The Next Day', and to a lesser degree: 'Let's Dance' and 'The Buddha Of Suburbia' are in my opinion his best studio albums since 'Scary Monsters' (to use that tired old cliche), but 'Outside' is far too long. For it to be a true masterpiece it needs some editing, i.e. cut out most of the interludes between songs and knock off one or two of the weaker songs.

There are loads of standout tracks on this, for example: 'The Heart's Filthy Lesson', 'Hallo Spaceboy', 'The Motel', 'I Have Not Been To Oxford Town', 'No Control' and 'I'm Deranged', but these highlights alongside other excellent tracks get swamped in the vastness of this padded out concept album.

It's not too late for this ambient, techno, industrial rock album to become an absolute masterpiece. It's now been digitally remastered which makes it sound even better, and when 'Outside' fully comes round again, which it will, it could be scaled down into the masterpiece that it truly deserves to be - because sometimes less is more.

There really is no need for most of the interludes anymore because Bowie never got round to doing 'Outside 2 and 3' which was his original intention, forming some sort of ongoing narrative through the three albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Bowie is rubbish? Get a grip!, 23 Sep 2007
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
My mate told me that Bowie's new stuff was useless, which meant, of course, that he hadn't listened to it. It's become a bit of a fashion to knock Bowie, just beacuse he keeps in there and keeps going. I would advise similar doubters to do the following. Buy this album and listen to 'I Have not been to Oxford Town' followed by 'I'm Derranged' and then 'Strangers when we meet.' If you aren't converted after three listens to these tracks, then go back to the Kaiser Chiefs. You thought you had musical taste and culture, but sorry - that just isn't you after all. You're as shallow as an Egyptian puddle.
If you do enjoy them - then I'm quite envious of you. You can listen to the rest of this work of art, and then collect another 20 albums of musical perfection and experimentation which will change your life, or at least influence it - as mine has been for the past 30 years. This really is no exaggeration. Bowie is beyond description, as Robert Smith, Kurt Cobain, Ian Curtis, Damon Albarn, Suede ... and countless others will all testify I'm sure. Buying this is like investing in an original painting. It's value to you will increase as time goes by - and its creator will be held in awe. I can say no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars on top of his game, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Outside (Audio CD)
this is bowie on top form there are some great tracks some catchy some not but all in all there is an interesting storyline through the whole thing ,weather you understand it or not doesn't really matter cause most tracks are worth a listen

Outside
Outside by David Bowie (Audio CD - 2003)