on 20 June 2012
I have had these binoculars for just three days and am very, very impressed with them. I have never owned binoculars before but wanted to start astronomy in a very amateur way. These were highly recommended and reviewed. Sadly, the great british summer has not been favourable for astronomy in the last three days so I can not comment on the ability regarding stargazing but for normal terrestrial use there are fantastic. I didn't really understand what people meant when the said in their reviews that these bins made things look 3D but now I understand, they are so good the view almost looks better than normal eye sight, hard to understand until you try them!

Given there high magnification and my desire to use them for astronomy I was conscious that even the slightest movement would ruin any space viewing so decided to buy the following product to attach them to my regular DSLR digital camera tripod.

It is the best £10 I have ever spent.

The Olympus website and google search does not give much information on how to attach these binoculars to a tripod but it is possible and incredibly easy with this attachment.

having done some reading on optics and there inherent problems I am aware that there bins have a VERY, VERY, slight discolouration on the very bottom on the image, nothing to worry about but it is there in a tiny (I mean minuscule way). As I am an amateur this does not bother me but nice to know what has caused it. From my limited reading it is something to do with the manufacture of the glass. It seriously affects less that 1% on the image and can only been seen if you are looking for it, as I was! With such a big field of view this is really not a problem, I only mentioned it as some serious buyers may be wondering if it exists. However, to be fair to Olympus, I have only tried the one pair, this problem/issue may vary my product.

I will monitor the review page so if you have any problems just ask and I will answer ASAP.

AS I intened to use these mainly on a tripod I wash;t put off buy the slightly heavy weight. i am sure there are heavier models out there but this was not my number one priority but be aware, good glass weighs more hence these are heavy compare to less strong bins. Weight is clearly the price you pay for quality and I am very impressed.

Overall, highly recommended and very happy with my purchase (especially as I bought them from Amazon.com (USA) and my dad bought them over for me saving me 30%!)

These bins come with a neck strap, four lenses covers and a relatively attractive plane black case with carry strap.

TOP TIP - Keep lens covers on when not in use, especially if left on a tripod like mine, I have read/heard horror stories of the sun shining through and starting fires.

Happy viewing!
Opticron Tripod L Mount Adaptor For Small Binoculars to 50mm
33 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2010
I had been looking for binoculars for general use and astronomy. Initially was going to buy the celestron 10*50 or the 15*70. The latter had a long delay and the former had reviews saying that it had a cheap feel. Hence bought these Olympus ones.

They are excellent. Very clear picture. Very little distortion. Smooth focussing mechanism. This is the first set of binoculars that I have used which give a 3 D impression when in general use.

Good value for the price. I think if I was going to spend more I would have got one of the canon image stabilised ones.
77 comments|182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2011
I wouldn't call myself an expert on binocs, far from it! (don't let that put you off my review),i always wanted a good all round piece of kit for a reasonable price, so after a lot of researching i decided on the Olmypus DPS-1 10 x 50, this how i got on.

They arrived quicker than i expected, 1st thought as i reached for the box; how heavy?, needn't have worried, less than a kilo, perfect.Quickly had them unpacked and outside.I have a bit of a view from the back garden and as i scanned the distant hills, i couldn't believe my eyes, the detail was great even a couple of miles away, blurred fields became rows of turned hay, dark spots became copse of trees with houses, even the number of windows became apparent, as i focused further afield a large pylon, which i didn't know existed, stood dramatically as the sun glinted of the arms, and that was all of 8 miles away. passing jets tail logos became clear. However the best was yet to come.......

I couldn't wait to try them at night. When i got a clear night i turned my focus on the moon, WOW, craters became sharp and the glare had gone, superb. Jupiter was in view, what was a bright 'star' became a round planet shape, even i thought there was a slight outline of it's rings, maybe thats being hopeful rather than precise.

Anyway to conclude;

1. excellent product/price for beginner
2. weight not an issue but the strap could be a bit padded especially on the back of the neck (very minor issue)
3. works well day or night
4. feel robust and well made

what are you waiting for.... get them NOW!!

BTW 06/11/11...took a look at Jupiter and was able to pick out three moons...amazing...
11 comment|126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2011
Bought these as part of my husband's 50th birthday present and he loves them! Took them to Western Scotland and they were used daily to birdwatch and yacht-watch! Easily adjusted and light to hold. Would recommend them to anyone but then they are Olympus! Brilliant.
on 24 September 2015
I don't normally write reviews about stuff I buy on Amazon, but I am so impressed with these binoculars I feel I must. I have had binoculars for years now. Nothing special , the best was a pair of Carl Zeiss 8x40. I brought these Olympus to for general useage and astronomy. Well I used them 1st to look at the moon and was astounded at the clarity compared to my other ones. Even sitting in my garden looking up at the stars, the amount of extra things you can see compared to the naked eye is amazing. And I live on the outskirts of London with all the light pollution you could ask for. Mounted on a tripod to stop shake you can make out the moons around Jupiter and other galaxies, although they appear as blurry smudges. I used them in daylight today and as someone else has stated, they seem to put things in 3D. If you are looking for a cheapish excellent pair of binoculars, then these are for you. They are fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
on 22 June 2011
i bought these after several disappointments via ebay! the customer reviews as well as the price decided it for me and i am not disappointed. sight has great clarity, they are easy to use and important for me is that they are not too heavy. i can see as far as i need to and great for the moon.
on 6 November 2010
We needed some new binoculars and having looked at the reviews we decided to buy these. They are brilliant, with our old one's we just saw the trees and sheep on the hill behind our house, now we can see the leaves and the sheep's faces!
on 20 April 2016
These are absolutely excellent binoculars
They come in their own soft padded case for protection, and have lens caps at both ends
I have tried several pairs before deciding on these, and the difference between these and cheaper ones is like night and day!
They are a decent weight, not too heavy to carry around for long periods of time, and they do feel solidly made
I use these for general use, when I am out and about, scenery birds etc, and they are ideal for this purpose
They are good in half light, but I haven’t tried them at night yet
I am very happy with the price as well, as they compare well with more expensive binoculars
Best tip from me, is to go to a shop where you can actually get a feel for these things, before buying them as it will save you making the wrong choice
I have seen a few reviews mentioning that the strap is poor, yes it is thin, but very similar to many others I have tried
Ii is also easily fitted and strong enough in my opinion, however if it does not suit you, replacements are cheap enough
on 20 July 2010
I bought these binoculars for my dad for a father's day present. Considering I know nothing about binoculars, I was told he could see things crystal clear & was really chuffed with them. If he is pleased then we are in for an easy,quiet life. Would definately recommend them.
on 25 May 2009
perfect for all sports , i bought them for bird watching and am very impressed with product , vision perfect