on 9 January 2009
I was the bass player with Vinegar Joe. This is the my favourite of the three VJ records. It was doomed from the start as it was released during the "vinyl crisis" of the 70's. The first pressings sold out fast but then there were no more pressed for a long time. Island Records was already preparing for Robert Palmer's solo career and basically put this album on ice.
Politics prevented the reissue of this record for many years and I was happy to see it available on CD. When I realised that it had been lifted from a worn LP I was very angry. Most of these tracks have been repackaged on the "Six Star Gypsies" CD and these are clean copies, so someone has good digital versions of these tracks.
I would have much preferred that the reissues reflected the the original albums. Releases like this one,and the compilation releases do not reflect the band.
It irks me that I can't legally post good versions of these recordings on my website. I hope nobody got paid for putting this reissue together because they are certainly screwing the musicians!
88 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2007
I purchased this CD and as the other reviewer has said this is obviously not a re-master as stated on the insert. Nor is it a true digital creation from the analogue tapes as you can hear clicks and noises from a vinyl record that it was evidently taken from. I have tried to contact the company Lemon and BBC Watchdog but with no success. This is a complete rip-off and makes me wonder about any other CDs created by LEMON.

If this was a car, the name would be appropriate!
on 8 February 2005
'Lemon' is the label, and a right lemon it is too. This CD has obviously been 'mastered' from a vinyl record, with clearly audible vinyl surface noise, tracking distortion AND end of side wow (speed variation)
Avoid it!
on 24 March 2012
OK, first off I agree with those who say the audio reproduction here is atrocious, hence the two star rating.

The first four tracks aren't too bad, but from track five onwards...oh dear. It's obvious the mastering has been taken from a vinyl source & a bad one at that. But as someone attempting to obtain as many of Robert Palmer's back catalogue of music as possible, well what can you do but buy this CD. A bad recording is better than none at all, I suppose & most of us do put up with some poor recording quality of early blues records.

You could try to track down a copy of Six Star General that was released by the Edsel record label in 1998 & hope that's a better recording, but this might be difficult to find.

We can but hope that someone, somewhere, someday comes to their senses & eventually releases a decent edition of this band's fine album. But until then, buy if you must but be warned this CD release by Lemon Records is not good.
on 22 August 2015
the best album out of the three well worth it
on 11 April 2016
Good cd, from the past excellent blend of music & Elkie Brooks voice very good indeed.
on 1 October 2015
Great item thanks
on 29 May 2015
good
on 7 May 2015
ok
on 31 August 2010
this is the best album by Vineger Joe,
it`s one of my favourites !.