5.0 out of 5 stars six star gererel
this is the best album by Vineger Joe,
it`s one of my favourites !.
Published on 31 Aug 2010 by gp goulds

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm angry about this reissue
I was the bass player with Vinegar Joe. This is the my favourite of the three VJ records. It was doomed from the start as it was released during the "vinyl crisis" of the 70's. The first pressings sold out fast but then there were no more pressed for a long time. Island Records was already preparing for Robert Palmer's solo career and basically put this album on ice...
Published on 9 Jan 2009 by Steve York

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm angry about this reissue, 9 Jan 2009
Steve York (Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Star General (Audio CD)
Politics prevented the reissue of this record for many years and I was happy to see it available on CD. When I realised that it had been lifted from a worn LP I was very angry. Most of these tracks have been repackaged on the "Six Star Gypsies" CD and these are clean copies, so someone has good digital versions of these tracks.
I would have much preferred that the reissues reflected the the original albums. Releases like this one,and the compilation releases do not reflect the band.
It irks me that I can't legally post good versions of these recordings on my website. I hope nobody got paid for putting this reissue together because they are certainly screwing the musicians!

1.0 out of 5 stars Trades description act violation, 5 Jan 2007
Mr. D. G. Hey (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Star General (Audio CD)
I purchased this CD and as the other reviewer has said this is obviously not a re-master as stated on the insert. Nor is it a true digital creation from the analogue tapes as you can hear clicks and noises from a vinyl record that it was evidently taken from. I have tried to contact the company Lemon and BBC Watchdog but with no success. This is a complete rip-off and makes me wonder about any other CDs created by LEMON.

If this was a car, the name would be appropriate!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it!, 8 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Six Star General (Audio CD)
'Lemon' is the label, and a right lemon it is too. This CD has obviously been 'mastered' from a vinyl record, with clearly audible vinyl surface noise, tracking distortion AND end of side wow (speed variation)
Avoid it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Six Star General, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: Six Star General (Audio CD)
OK, first off I agree with those who say the audio reproduction here is atrocious, hence the two star rating.

The first four tracks aren't too bad, but from track five onwards...oh dear. It's obvious the mastering has been taken from a vinyl source & a bad one at that. But as someone attempting to obtain as many of Robert Palmer's back catalogue of music as possible, well what can you do but buy this CD. A bad recording is better than none at all, I suppose & most of us do put up with some poor recording quality of early blues records.

You could try to track down a copy of Six Star General that was released by the Edsel record label in 1998 & hope that's a better recording, but this might be difficult to find.

We can but hope that someone, somewhere, someday comes to their senses & eventually releases a decent edition of this band's fine album. But until then, buy if you must but be warned this CD release by Lemon Records is not good.

5.0 out of 5 stars six star gererel, 31 Aug 2010
this is the best album by Vineger Joe,
it`s one of my favourites !.

Six Star General
Six Star General by Vinegar Joe (Audio CD - 2003)