5.0 out of 5 stars Like a warm wave of electronic fuzz
Published on 11 Jun 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Different but not great
There has been a lot of hype about this album with it getting almost perfect scores from some reviewers.
Published on 3 Oct 2003 by Splossy

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a warm wave of electronic fuzz, 11 Jun 2003
Some say this album is inspired by shoegazer bands. I say "yes" to that statement, but it is only modeled after the effect the wash of synth/guitar noise has on the human mind. "Dead Cities, Red Seas, and Lost Ghosts" is intense, dark, warm and soothing all at once. This is the first album of 2003 that envelops me upon first listen. For fans of: Sigur Ros, My Bloody Valentine, The Postal Service, Boards of Canada, Manitoba "Up in Flames", Jesus & Mary Chain, Air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year, 14 Jan 2004
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
I discovered M83 entirely by accident browsing on th web one day, but boy what an accident.
Taking it's cue from dreampop and expanding upon it with influences as far reaching as ambient electronica, eighties funk and Samuel Barber/ Gustav Mahler-esque symphonic string arrangements, M83 transcend the comparisons they attract ("My Bloody Valentine meets Air" yawn) and create a rich tapestry of yearning beauty, epic melancholy and sweeping catharsism that is all their own.
This is one of the most beautiful records I have ever heard and, being a sound engineer and owning about 500 albums, for me that is really saying something.
I doubt it will be to everyone's tastes but to me it is definitely the record of 2003.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to Explain, 6 Oct 2005
Mr. Nicholas Bell (Berkhamsted) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
I revisited this album last night after I'd bought it and confined it to my rack for over a year, and realise that I'd been listening to it all wrong. Previoualy I'd had it on it the background or in my car and you really can't do it just ice that way - this is an album that has to be concentrated on. I whacked up my Hi-fi do a decent volume, turned all the lights off and lay on the floor for a while listening and it was amazing. After 6 tracks I thought angels were coming down to earth and caressing me with invisible hands...well something like that anyway. Don't make the mistake I made and slot it on your Ipod as you walk to Tesco, but really try and listento it and you'll be rewarded

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronic lushness, 25 Sep 2003
I. Foxwell (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
This album is excellent and I have only had achance to listen to it a few times.Thier sound is lush by constantly building layer upon layer of effected synth sounds and guitars underpinned by electo style beats.If you like a cinematic styled sound with emotional strings or just want to experience electronic beauty I would recommed this album.The best track is definetley the third track on the album which for me has shades of Orbital with the pulisng synth sound and rolling electro beats.Beautifull.

4.0 out of 5 stars epicness, 22 Dec 2007
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
I have to say the same as a previous reviewer. this album is not to be used as background music. it requires you to sit down with the intent to do nothing but listen.

im not sure how i discovered M83 but im glad i did. this album will create all sorts of visions in your head as you listen. perhaps best used on a long train journey, as you look out the window the music just seems to match somehow.

fully worth a purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is original, 13 Feb 2005
David Ellis "DE" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
I am going to disagree intensely with the previous reviewer, anyone who considers this "noise that doesn't go anywhere" would be best prescribed an ear test, or a better hi-fi. However, M83 can indeed not really be compared to Air. Their music has more depth and lacks popular elements, which lets face it have been worn thin over the last 25 years.

This is music to be listened to and enjoyed on its own, a contamination of analogue synthesis and digital samples that stimulate the ear intensly. The notes might be simple and the arrangements childlike, but this does not detact from the soundscapes created.

Make no mistake; this is not pop music, it is music that jumps off the CD and into your ears
Dave

4.0 out of 5 stars Evolution, 28 Sep 2003
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
My Bloody Valentine, The Cranes, The Orb, Eno. Its all here, and pretty darn good

4.0 out of 5 stars Four and a half stars., 21 April 2004
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
French duo M83 (Anthony Gonzalez and Nicolas Fromageau) make sonic crescendos out of analogue synths to evoke the kind of electronic post-rock in the vein of Mogwai, spliced with the anarchy of electroclash stalwarts Add N to X and the shoegazing haze of MBV or Slowdive. It's a dinstinctive and winning formula that overcomes its influences, despite there being perhaps one crescendo too many. 'Unrecorded' pits bubbling synth melodies against soaring synthetic strings while 'Run Into Flowers' shows a pop sensibility with its harmonic, half-murmured vocals. 'In Church' and 'On A White Lake, Near A Green Mountain' strip away the rhythm to reveal piercing organs drenched in emotion, while 'America' chops up garbled voices over rollicking beats to alarming effect. The highlights however are the two-piece suite of 'Be Wild' and 'Cyborg', which sound like Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis jamming with Carl Craig - particularly 'Be Wild', which wouldn't be out of place on the celebrated Blade Runner soundtrack - and 0078h, a stomping piece of robotic pop in the vein of Add N to X and an example of how to use processed vocals and not sound completely silly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different but not great, 3 Oct 2003
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. It's quite original and leftfield in it's thinking - deliberately tinny, low-fi electro beats and plinky-lpponky synths mixed with guitar distortion, lush pads and general weirdness. The tracks don't actually seem to go anywhere, they just build layers which end up sounding very noisy. Not much in the way of melody or attractive harmony to my ears.
Could it be that just being "different" is enough to get great reviews? For me it needs to be more musical and/or rhythmic.
I can't see myself listening to this in a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing! truly., 31 May 2006
This review is from: Dead Cities, Red Seas And Lost Ghosts (Audio CD)
i have no idea how to review an album or even critically write about a group but this band (or bloke) fills my head with sound! more than anything around today and competing with the old faves! i am listening to dead cities right now and it amazes me..