5.0 out of 5 stars Write that down.
Published on 26 Feb 2004 by S. J. King

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable enough but nothing special
This series made me laugh a few times but it's nothing special. The problem for me was that Peter Seranowitcz makes too few appearances. I doubt I'll watch it more than once but enjoyable enough when there's nothing else to hand.
Published 3 months ago by cornutus

5.0 out of 5 stars Write that down., 26 Feb 2004
S. J. King "zh84" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
Humour is a very subjective thing; I, for instance, do not find "The Office" at all funny. Whether anyone reading this will find "Look Around You" as funny as I do I can't say, but I think it's one of the finest things ever to have been broadcast, for what it is - eight ten-minute programmes. Peter Serafinowicz takes his ludicrous "experiments" absolutely seriously, and Nigel Lester's commentary similarly betrays not the slightest sign that he is reading out a spoof - even when he has to say things like "The gas was allowed to mafipulate through the water for five minutes." The programmes perfectly capture the style of those dreary Schools Programmes on science we saw in the late 70s and early 80s, and - if you didn't pay close attention - you might almost believe it was for real. Until you notice the ants building the igloo, that is. "Thanks, ants," as Nigel Lester says, politely. "Thants."
The DVD is very well presented, and allows the usual writers' and director's commentary as an alternative to the original soundtrack. From this I learned how the show was first conceived: Robert Popper and Peter Serafinowicz produced a one-off parody programme on "Calcium" basically to amuse themselves, and the BBC eventually took it up and commissioned the series we have now enjoyed. "Calcium" is included on the DVD; the interrogation of "intelligent calcium" is perhaps the highlight, though there are many other things to cherish. You also get a series of mock "Pages from CEEFAX", with news, farming, financial and sport reports which combine realism and madness very much as the programmes do; a quiz for what you have learned from each episode, with suitable punishments should you do badly; and a parody test card ending with a few seconds of animation from a cartoon that I wish went on for a whole five minutes. Until we see a complete edition of "The Hexagons", though, I just have to repeat their names - Moffaty, Gideon, Vincent, Slingsby and Wilson - to make myself laugh.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God I'm not the only one!, 9 Mar 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched Look Around You when it was on television 2 years ago, and tried in vain to get others interested in it, but the concept of "funny Open University" was just a little too weird for most of my friends.
And that's about all I can say about it: it's funny Open University. It captures exactly the tone, the process, the genre of programming for schools that I remember (avoiding) as a child and teenager. And yet, it's incredibly funny, without going "hey, look at the stupid people with their hair and clothes of the 70s" that this type of comedy usually reverts to. The comedy comes from the both the set pieces and the reverence it is obviously paying to the original programming.
The DVD itself is very good, with nice extras including the Little Mouse video in its entirety, but its the commentary that gets me every time. Listening to the commentary makes me want to hear the original soundtrack and listening to the soundtrack makes me want to hear the commentary. It's a nice vicious circle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just look around you..., 4 Feb 2005
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD was a bit of a lucky find for me and I'd recommend it to anyone for a bit of entertainment.
The episodes are short but full of jokes and the odd bit of information. The programme parodies outdated school Chemistry videos, mixing the true with the absurd in an outrageously deadpan manner. The narration is true to life and brilliantly funny, the visual comedy is sometimes fantastic and the general feel of the series really captures that class of humanity, the scientist.
Every episode has many little touches of genius, from the pointlessly meticulous descriptions of experiments reminiscent of school science ('An experiment was carried out to demonstrate the cogniscient properties of Intelligent Calcium...'), to the understated but crazy statements about what we do and don't know, to the ridiculously outdated theme tune and the various glimpses into the lives of the scientists carrying out the experiments. One example is the tantalising view of a scientist's hand getting increasingly burnt as a result of reaching repeatedly into a beaker of boiling water, but where all the acting is done by the hand, with no shots of the scientist's face. Each episode begins with the same format of looking for clues about the topic of the 'module' (always impossible to guess) and various references to 'copybooks'.
This series is beautifully done - every moment seems to be perfected to the point where you can slip into believing that you're watching a genuine science programme until the narrator says something ludicrous or just funny. The menu is superbly accurate to the scienctific style, even down to the terminology (with such functions as 'view modules' and 'view specific module') and while the other special features are not particularly arresting, the double-length 'advanced module' on Calcium is great.
This insightful and seemingly polished series has many brilliant moments and is something I find myself watching again and again, and I would really recommend it to any comedy fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Benediction of our Lady Margaret?, 7 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
This show has mafipulated (for 5 minutes) to the very besselheim of my being, so that when I hear the word 'sulphur' I can't help but think about the benediction our lady margaret, or the tetrasulphination of dihydrometazene.
This is an example of the most wonderful, wonderful parody, lovingly and knowingly created. You can tell the makers had a wail of a time writing the scripts, and the narration is perfect.
I'm of course overjoyed that the shows are on DVD, but the DVD itself is a bit disappointing in my opinion with no scene selection possible, and very bog-standard extras [not including the excellent calcium module of course!]. Still, the commentary by the writers and director is very interesting, and a welcome addition.
I leave you with one of my favourite parts, what MATHS stands for:
Mathematical
Anti-
Telharsic
Harfatum
Sinomin
If you're a fan of intelligent and witty parody, with a touch of the surreal, you'd better buy a Harrington 3000 and play this DVD on it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thants, 20 Oct 2003
Mark Crosby (Manchester, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
The DVD is faultless. It's one of the most original DVD productions I've seen, with the late 70s education TV theme carried throughout it; right down to authentic Ceefax Subtitles and the Look Around You quizzes, as they would be done on a BBC Acorn micro. If you've seen the programme, or even if you haven't, you must get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars look around you, 27 Mar 2004
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
just fantastic. this captures the feeling of those end of term lessons where your teacher would show you a video for a treat. imagine that, plus more or less constant laughter.
this dvd is basically full of brilliant puns, slapstick, and subtle visual gags. anyone who did science o levels or gcses between 1980 and 2000 needs to watch this. blinding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thants and blants, 11 May 2004
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
This has got to be the best comedy DVD of all time. No kidding. Non stop laughs from beginning to end. Totally freaky, unbelievably silly and spot on parody. I have shown it now t0 about 50 people and every one of them has been rolling on the floor.
A masterpiece. Absolute genius.
Just buy it - it'll change your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this!!!!!!, 11 Sep 2006
S. G. Warner "pictobug" (Elgin, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
Not much more to add to what's already been said, other than this is absolutely superb. I got mine today and (honestly) shed tears of laughter watching it....

"What ARE birds?.....We just don't know!"

For God's sake, if you have anything approaching a sense of humour, get Look Around You.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Nov 2006
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this on telly a few years ago and it captivated me, ten minute shorts with as much humour as some half hour shows. Fantastic!

Spoof TV has been done (not quite to death) over the last few years, but this remains unique and intelligent.

The stylistics are perfect, down to the graphics, clothes and hair-do's. This will take you back to when the teacher wheeled in the TV to watch a schools TV show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite frankly, a work of genius, 6 July 2005
This review is from: Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
I'd seen glimpes of this weird little series when it was originally broadcast in 2002, but only when getting ready to go out so I never really paid much attention. However, after becoming hooked to series 2 on the BBC in 2005, I looked up for any DVDs of the show and found this series available. It is very different in style and execution to the later series, but the wickedly strange humour remains the same.
Of particular note, the full music video version of "Little Mouse" in the DVD extras is, quite frankly, a work of genius.

Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD]