5.0 out of 5 stars This is more like it...
What a fantastic album. My nasty habit of track-skipping has finally been overcome by this masterpiece. Much funkier, much more upbeat and much more what I always thought Starsailor were going to be.
Published on 29 Sep 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Try Again!
I have to admit I was not an instant Starsailor fan by any stretch. Their first effort, Love Is Here - required several listenings before it caught with me. Eventually I got hooked into great tracks like, Tie Up My Hands, and Fever (not the ones I hear others excited about - but definately my two favorites).
Silence Is Easy feels 'tired' - like it took a lot of...
Published on 25 Oct 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is more like it..., 29 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
The melodies are beautiful, some of the string arrangements are sensational and a shift from focusing on Jim's voice to emphasising the music itself not only makes for a fresher and more professional sound than on Love is Here but also hits back at those critics who thought Starsailor were just going to keep producing depressing and dark albums.
Uplifting, interesting and beautiful. Everything I like my music to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars good follow up, 25 Sep 2003
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
after the hype of being the next coldplay the first album 'love is here' was an impressive debut without surpassing the sales figures that chris martin and co had achieved previously. Since then James Walsh has had a baby, gone in and subsequently out of the studio with legendary producer Phil Spector and worked on the songs that have shaped this album. Has the situations around him resulted in a good album?
Certainly in places this album has significant highlights, on top of the lead single 'silence is easy' other tracks like 'born again', 'music was saved' and the disco-tinged 'four to the floor' are classic starsailor. However, in reference to becoming the band critics have tipped them to be it may not come from this album but this certainly shows promise for many good albums to come.
perhaps James needs a potential wedding to a hollywood superstar to make his band be heard across the world or maybe (and probably) he will let the music speak for itself. It took the Verve three albums i wouldnt bet against that being the case here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 29 Jun 2006
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
To my mind the other reviewers of this album have not listened to it properly. So its different to Love is Here but its more mature and in my opinion better. Stand out tracks for me are the title track, Four to the Floor and Fidelity but other great songs are Telling Them, Shark Food and Born Again. Stick with it, its a great album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Album!, 4 Jan 2008
Morten Vindberg (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
"Silence is Easy" was the second album from young English band "Starsailor". The band has often been compared to both Coldplay and Radiohead, and given there is an unmistakeably British sound to their music. Personally I feel that a comparison with Suede and Brett Anderson would be more obvious; especially on the ballads.

The album starts off very strongly with 4 great songs. The optimistic up-beat "Music was Saved" is the perfect opener - strange that the song was not picked as a single. Two short, but strong ballads follow. "Fidelity" and the beatiful waltzy "Some of Us".

Then comes the Phil Spector produced hit-single and title-track "Silence is Easy".

The following tracks are by no means bad, though a few of them are a little weighed down by heavy strings-arrangements.

The extremely catchy disco-type pop-hit "Four to the Floor" is probably the most memorable of the last part of the album - actually it is very different from the usual Starsailor sound and style.

The half-acoustic "Shark Food" may not hit you the first two or three times you hear it, but there is a good chance it will turn into a favourite eventually.

A very strong album from one of the most promising new English bands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music was indeed saved, 21 Jan 2004
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
I orginally boght Silence Is Easy first and then after loving it went out to buy Love is Here, their first album. I fell in love with Silence is Easy immdiately and within mintues I had already developed a great sense of love towards their music.
However, it took me a lot longer to get into the first one I have to say, and even though I'm definetely a person who can give a lot of time to new albums, I must say that Love is Here was a struggle.
Silence is Easy is a perfect album for any mood you could possibly be in. Its calm and moving but at the same time lively and has spirit.
Silence is Easy is shockingly good, and I can not give more praise to an album like this. With amazing words, tunes and song titles, these four boys have really got what it takes.
With brilliant songs ranging from Music Was Saved, Some Of Us, Four To The Floor, Shark Food and of course Silence is Easy, this is a definetly an album to love.
A truly astounding album, which could quite literally make you fall to the floor, thank god these lads have Born Again and shown a different more classic side to them...

3.0 out of 5 stars Try Again!, 25 Oct 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
Silence Is Easy feels 'tired' - like it took a lot of effort for the band to get through the tracks (and for me to listen to some of them). Singer James Walsh doesn't have much range to play with - which is not necessarily a problem - but when the musical arrangements wash him out, or make him sound like he's straining to keep up - something's definately not working (Music Was Saved, Four To The Floor did nothing for me). Redeeming tracks: Fidelity, Bring My Love, Silence is Easy and surprise, surprise, Shark Food.
I don't share some of the other folk's opinions about Starsailor's need to 'cheer up' or 'get pop'. I like them angsty, drifty, moody and a little dark. I truly hope they work with that - and don't develop into a 'happy little pop effort'.
If you want to spend wisely - my recommendation is go for their first CD, Love Is Here. If you do buy Silence Is Easy - give it a few tries before you relegate it to Mini-frisbee material ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof Starsailor are Britain's best.!!, 8 Sep 2003
Mr John A Carson (Belfast, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
Being, probably, Starsailors biggest fan i had to take my rose tinted spectacles off in order to write this review. However from a totally neutral perspective i can have nothing but praise for the boys from Chorley. This their second album is the much anticipated proof that Starsailor are the best British Group since the Stone Roses (I was going to say Beatles but then that might just have been a little over the top.) Coldplay may be getting all the headlines but Starsailor are making music that is surely deserving of more press attention.
The new single, and title track, Silence is Easy announced they were back and the album does not dissapoint. Four to the Flour is a song that any band would be proud of and has that quaility that means every time you hear it it sounds like its the first time.
Although the album is not as good as their debut 'love is Here' this is only due to the fact that 'love is Here' struck with such a frshness that will make it stand above any other record.
If u own the first Starsailor album make sure you buy this 'Silence is easy'. If you dont own 'Love is Here' make sure you buy both.
J Carson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic follow up by James and the boys, 24 Sep 2003
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
After seeing them live last night at Leeds Uni and having been blown away, I feel that I have to write this. I know this is an album review so i'll just stick to their new stuff but its taken me long enough to see the 'Sailor' and it was well worth it.
Anyway, onto their new material. The opener 'Music Was Saved' gives you an idea of what to expect. Within the first 30 seconds, I knew the 'Sailor' were onto a winner. This track in particular is not like anything they have done before. Its quite an uplifting song compared to the angst ridden songs on their previous offering.
The other more upbeat tracks on here include their recent single 'Silence Is Easy' and my personal favourite 'Four To The Floor', which I can tell you from last night, is already a favourite with the fans. The other tracks on the album are all excellent and you'll find that its very easy to listen to. I thought 'Love Is Here' was excellent, but, in my opinion, it was an album that grew on you after a few listen, whereas this one is likeable after a couple of efforts.
Basically, this is a fantastic album, and I think the best way to compare both of the albums, is to look at the front cover. One dark, with a lot of feeling, one bright and uplifting, but both excellent albums!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Inspiring....they just get better!, 13 Mar 2004
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
The first time I listened to it I wasnt sure about all the track but Born Again and Four to the Floor just made me get goose-bumps! I have loved Starsailor since I heard them for the first time playing Godd Souls live...it was amazing. This album needs to grow on you and once it does it will be one of those albums that you will listen to all the time until you are old! Fantasic lyrics and James has a voice that really hits your soul. An amazing album and I guarantee after 3 or 4 plays you will love this forever!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 17 Sep 2003
This review is from: Silence Is Easy (Audio CD)
"Silence Is Easy" is angst-by-numbers - plodding tunes with no fire, unlike their debut. This is the sound of boys trying to head for the big league. No amount of disco beats or wacky producers can lift this from the un-ordinary. Somebody find me old Bowie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Silence Is Easy
Silence Is Easy by Starsailor (Audio CD - 2003)