Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 September 2003
Here is a score as brash and flashy as a Pirate's Parrot and to my mind the second good score from this new composer. After the outstanding presentation for The Time Machine, Klaus Badelt has turned out two indifferent scores for the Recruit and K-19. It is a sheer delight to find him right back on form for Pirates. Almost a fairground ride in itself, the score sweeps you up into the atmosphere of a buccaneer voyage, but like the fairground ride it is too short a trip. This said, you will find all the tracks justify listening to again and again.
Two action themes dominate. One for the heroes in action and one for Barbossas violent and funny crew. I defy anyone to listen to this without hearing the crash of broadsides or the clink of blades. The love theme is, like the love interest in the story, a little lacking in passion, but still a good listen.
I suspect we have a composer of great adventure movies here and definitely one to watch
Play this one with the headphones on and the volume up!
on 1 January 2005
I totally loved the film when I first saw it. Even though I've seen it about seven times already, on my dvd player it certainly isn't losing its touch! I had been wondering about getting it for a while and fnally did, the other day. The music is absoulutly superb and brings make moments from the film, as you cruise though darker tracks, like 'Barbossa is hungry'! and the main film theme, 'He's a pirate'! The only thing about this album is I wish, the score could have been longer, most tracks are only around 2 minutes. While the last track he's a pirate is only a minute and a half. And low and behold...It's my favourite! There is also no defition between the tracks, as such. Although you see the numbers changing, there is no set gap between the titles. Which isn't so bad because it acts as a mini movie of great Ochestral music! I've never been an Classical esk kinda girl myself, but this is the best stuff ever. I have no doubt that even if it, had nothing to do with the film, I'd still buy it!
on 14 September 2003
The film is in my opinion one of the best films ever made. The soundtrack certainly doesn't disappoint, despite the fact it could be longer. That said, the music is first rate. Not since the magic of John Williams work have i heard such a compelling soundtrack for a film.
It has been a great pleasure to have been projecting this film all summer, and despite time pressures, at the end of each showing i have found myself inside the screen, listening to the music during the credits.
This CD is a must have for all lovers of orchestral music, people who loved the film, and for any newcomers to the world of orchestral music. It really is one CD for all people.
+ Fantastic music
+ Plenty of reminders of scenes from the film
- Perhaps a little short
Overall, i feel that this soundtrack is worth the purchase. Top rate music, very energetic, and sounds awesome on a good sound system. I think this deserves a full 5 stars as the music is some of the best i've ever heard.
on 24 August 2003
This is the best movie soundtrack I have heard in a LONG time! It is right up there with the likes of "The Lord of the Rings" and "Gladiator". When you hear track 2 "The Medallion Calls" it takes you right back to the show-stopping entrance of Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp in excellent form). It's hard to say which is my favourite track: they are all terrific masterpieces in their own right (but if I HAD to choose then it's got to be "He's a Pirate"). Overall, a brilliant backdrop for brilliant film. I sweep my hat off, in true Jack style, to Klaus Badelt.
on 4 November 2006
Theres just something about the music, its much better than most soundtracks. So easy to just play and whistle along to. I might even say I would recommend this more than the film itself!

Loud, fast, quick and action packed, the film would undeniably have been much less than it was without this fantastic soundtrack!
on 22 October 2003
This is a good score and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Zimmer's work on the Gladiator soundtracks. It has very powerful 'swashbuckling' motifs that run through nearly every track and is very well produced.
My only criticism is that too many synthesised instruments are used. I sincerely hope that we are not witnessing a trend to come of dispensing with the full orchestra and replacing it with samplers and keyboards. The effect is noticeable; the percussion often sounds hollow, and sometimes sounds are distorted in an effort to boost its presence. The synthesised instruments in Gladiator are barely noticeable, and in fact are probably only apparent if you are very famililar with their sounds. In the case of this soundtrack however, I'm afraid that their presence is perceptible, and may have been seriously detrimental were the score not otherwise excellent.
One caveat; I noticed this score being likened to Lord Of The Rings. I am afraid to say that this is wrong. A comparison with Gladiator might withstand scrutiny, but this soundtrack entirely lacks the dynamic subtely and muscial variation of Lord Of The Rings. A simple comparison of the films should clarify this!
In conclusion, if you enjoyed the Gladiator score, in particular Zimmer's driving 'Gladiator Waltz', then you will not be dissappointed. If, on the other hand, you prefered Lisa Gerrard's lilting solos or those of Enya in Lord Of The Rings, this soundtrack is unlikely to satisfy. Overall however, I must confess it is a very well produced score.
on 16 August 2003
A great film deserves a great soundtrack, and in this case it got one. Battle scenes from the film are perfectly conveyed, with rousing themes transporting you right back to the Caribbean.
'The Medallion Calls', scored to Jack Sparrow's entrance, captures his character perfectly and makes me smile as I recall the film!
Slower music is handled well too, with pieces relating to the love story sounding suitably emotional.
Those buying the soundtrack on the basis of the composers previous work rather than the film should not be disappointed either. The music stands up well when listened to as a classical piece with no film connections, and has a definite similarity to 'Gladiator', which I consider to be Zimmer's best work to date.
However, with the film running to nearly two and a half hours, there was easily enough material in the original score to allow a soundtrack of over an hour. With a total running time of just under 44 minutes though, I often felt I had just got into a track when the next one started.
Every piece of music on the disc is wonderful; it just sounds slightly incomplete.
On the whole, the Pirates Of The Caribbean CD is fantastic and well worth a listen - it's just a shame there isn't more of it.
on 16 January 2004
I loved this soundtrack! I was persuaded to give it a go by a friend who loves soundtracks and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. It's great!
I am a big fan of the movie and the soundtrack makes me smile as it reminds me of all the best bits from the film. Jack's fantastic entrance, the brill swordfight in the blacksmith's...
There's not much to criticise, other than the fact that it is short, but I've found that I can listen to this all at once, which isn't often the case with soundtracks.
Highly recommended - settle back and enjoy the vibe of the Caribbean!
on 16 May 2006
44 minutes of pure joy. The first time I listened to it made the hairs on my arms stand on end and at times sent shivers down my spine.

Although the music was composed by Klaus Badelt, it was produced by Hans Zimmer and there are quite a lot of similarities to this soundtrack and one of Hans' other works, Crimson Tide (also fantastic).

One of the most exciting film soundtracks ever. 5 stars
on 2 September 2003
This CD is great; when I first heard it I thought it was a bit repetitive, but this is not the case as all of the tracks are individual and it is fantastic to listen to; it really reminds you of the film and you get caught up in the sense of adventure that the movie encapsulates. There are overtones of Gladiator in there due to Hans Zimmer's input but that doesn't detract from the soundtrack as a whole; in fact, it adds to it. Buy this, listen to it, and love it.