4.0 out of 5 stars I totally disagree with the Amazon review !
Sure, neither Jamie Gertz or Andrew Mcarthy are ever likely to win an oscar, but you can never knock James Spader or Robert Downey Jr, who both play fantastic parts in this. It's also nothing like the book, which isn't a bad thing !
Maybe it affected me more because I grew up in the 80's, but I really identified with the characters and the things they were being...
Published on 31 Oct 2003 by logan72

1.0 out of 5 stars Travesty!
I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I watched this film. As a fan of Bret Easton Ellis's novel "Lezz Than Zero", I was ecstatic to discover that there was a film adaptation and, best of all, it had actually been made in the 80s and therfore would, hopefully, capture the 80s influence that made the novel what it was. I set out to watch the film expecting it to...
Published on 5 Mar 2006 by polka_dott

5.0 out of 5 stars 80's clild., 28 July 2013
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
I love this film. I liked it back in the 80's and I still like it now. I would recommended this film to friend and people who love old school.

5.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't a film I thought I'd be moved by. However, I think it is extra poignant..., 7 April 2013
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
It wasn't a film I thought I'd be moved by. However, I think it is extra poignant due to the real life struggles Robert Downey Jr had reflected and drew upon in his personal life. His role was moving and surprising. He doesn't come across like you might expect (for example in Iron Man, Holmes, etc) but he makes the character have many layers exploring the depths an addict will fall. Watching him use on film, showing the way a persons essence is consumed by a drug, made a personal impact on what we may know about this subject matter and what you may know. I recommend this film, but advise that the frank subject matter may be shocking. I know that RDJ mentioned that this film was a reflection of many *aspects* of his own personal struggle with heroin addiction, which explains how this film has additional emotional resonance to me, the viewer. It is like looking inside a goldfish bowl, of another persons life.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little over zero but not much, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
As in, say, three. That is out of ten by the way , not five. Out of five I gave it 2 and one of those stars is just for Rob DJ. Made in and set in the 80's. 3 friends fresh out of high school. One has a major drug problem. The other 2 try to help. You can get a more intricate and detailed synopsis from the other reviews. All I will say is this film caught my interest at first but I soon got bored and then stopped watching after half an hour and started to play on my computer because it just dragged on. I think RDJ is a great actor but anyone can mope about looking wasted or arguing with people in every shot. This is not one of his great movies at all. I never felt connected with the characters and the whole thing just lacked depth and any kind of intrigue or excitement or heck even serious development. I would pass on it and if you want a more interesting RDJ movie go for Fur, or Kiss Kiss or any of his more recent movies. This is not a great movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
i cant comment on the dvd itself as it is a present for my friend but it came on time pacaged perfect. very pleased

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 17 April 2011
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
i bought this film expecting it to good,it wasnt at all in any way. gets an extra star simply because Downey Jr is in it

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a brilliant film..., 18 Jun 2008
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
I haven't read the book so I won't pretend to understand that aspect. However, the film itself is not amazing - it's style is very 1980s. The one thing that does shine, however, is Robert Downey Jr's performance. Perhaps it is haunting because of his future indescretions. But never the less it is a great performance. A must for Downey fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars From someone who hasn't read the novel!, 17 Jun 2009
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
I don't understand why this film gets the bad side of reviews.It's not the best film I have seen but it was good.I really think it deserves more credit.

Andrew Mccarthy shines in the role of Clay,a rich kid who returns home for the holidays to help out his friend Julian (Robert Downey Jr) who is severely hooked on drugs.I think Andrew Mccarthy deserves alot of praise for the role.

While I thought the movie was flawed in a few ways,I feel enticed to read the novel soon.Bret Easton Ellis is a very talented and creative writer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hazy Shades, 7 Feb 2011
Radiant Rose (from a rose-red 1960 Cadillac: solar-powered) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Less Than Zero [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Please excuse the pun, but I feel there are definitely some Less-ons to be learnt from this film.

Lesson 1: It is a mistake for film makers to assume that any scenes involving money, sex and drugs will automatically hold our attention.

Lesson 2: Drugs are bad, y'all.

Lesson 3: It is very hard for viewers to like a film when we are not given a particular reason to like any of the characters. It seems to be just assumed that we will root for Clay (Andrew McCarthy) and Blair (Jami Gertz). And I didn't really care about them. I can look back after seeing the film and think, well, they acted quite ethically, but that's not really the same as feeling an emotional connection to them whilst viewing.

Lesson 4: Don't throw in pointless bits, such as the bikers passing on either side of the Corvette in which Clay and Blair are snogging. It is distracting.

It might have been wiser if the film had included a bit of a back story. We might have seen for ourselves what Julian (Robert Downey Junior) was like before drugs seized hold of his life. We might have got some kind of idea why he would actually have trusted Rip (James Spader) enough to borrow $50,000 from him. Spader effectively conveys Rip's superficial charm and essential soullessness. However, we never see him before his predatory nature becomes manifest. We never understand why anyone would trust him instead of throwing holy water at him and running for the hills.

I might have been interested in why Julian's venture into the entertainment industry (a record company named Tone Deaf) failed. Unless the answer was (a) he was an arrogant, rich teenager who hadn't a clue what he was doing or (b) he really was tone deaf.

I don't know whether the fault lies with the film adaptation or if these flaws are also present in the Bret Ellis Easton novel on which it is based. The film does NOT inspire me to find a copy of the book to find out. (I am informed that the character of Rip was toned down somewhat in the film.)

What did I like? Well, the scene in the red Corvette with the Christmas carols is amusing. The ending is more moving than it should be. I liked the Bangles' version of Paul Simon's song "Hazy Shade of Winter" and the Roy Orbison song during the credits.

That's about it. That really is. Unless you are on a mission to see the complete works of someone involved in the film, I'm not sure you should bother with it.

The good folk at Amazon won't allow me to give this film less than zero. They won't even permit a score of less than one. I am reserving the honour of one star for something really abysmal. So I reluctantly award this a two.

It deserves less. Or rather, since ratings stars are counted rather than measured, FEWER.

My favourite accessory was undoubtedly Rip's yellow mobile phone. It floats. It really does. If only manufacturers had continued to make them so reliable - social networking sites would not have been jammed with cries of "My phone drowned, please send me your number".

5.0 out of 5 stars Less than zero, 18 Jun 2004
This review is from: Less Than Zero [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This film is a bit of a let down in that it isn't as gripping as it should be. The story follows three friends who leave high school and go their different ways then meet up a year later to find they have all changed dramatically. Andrew McCarthy plays the successful college guy who returns to find his ex girlfriend and best friend ensconced in drug addictions and debt. Robert Downey Jr is the major screw up in this film and he probably adds the real drama to the story as the other two actors are rather unsuccessful in their attempts to portray their characters. I bought this film mainly for Robert Downey Jr anyway so i wasn't heavily disappointed but i wouldn't advise anyone to get over excited about the film otherwise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brett Easton Ellis based flick, 7 Feb 2008
Alister King "Big Al" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Less Than Zero [DVD] (DVD)
Brett Easton Ellis based flick about LA rich kids with Andrew McCarthy trying to save Robert Downey Jnr from a monstrous coke habit.

Less Than Zero [DVD]
Less Than Zero [DVD] by Marek Kanievska (DVD - 2003)
5.99