5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic
Published on 5 Aug 2002 by Richard White

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Blu Ray rip off...
Great movie... shame about the Blu Ray... great picture and all that, but no extras... got the DVD and upgraded to this as it is one of favourite movies, but will have to keep my DVD as there are loads of extras on the DVD, but absolutely nothing on the Blu Ray.. shame on you... for such a wonderful film you could have done so much more... another Blu Ray rip off... 5...
Published 9 months ago by Stephen B. Winfield

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern classic, 5 Aug 2002
Richard White "withnail101" (London) - See all my reviews
If Frank Capra had been making movies in the late 1980s, he probably would have made Field of Dreams. Many of the best loved movies deal with the hopes and dreams of ordinary folk. More recently, this has been repeated by 'The Shawshank Redemption'and back in Capra's era it was 'It's a Wonderful Life'. Two very different movies dealing with the subject of faith in our own dreams, both of which are universally loved by audiences.
Field of Dreams centres around Ray Kinsella, his wife Annie and their daughter who live on a farm in Iowa. Ray is a self confessed novice farmer whos efforts to keep the business financially viable are becomming pressured.
One day, whilst in his cornfield Ray hears 'the voice' and is told "If you build it he will come". Ray takes this as a sign that he is to build a Baseball field on his farm and that Shoeless Joe Jackson (his deceased sporting hero) will come and play, allowing his hero some redemption for his shame and exile from baseball following illegal 'throwing of games'in his heyday.
Unsurprisingly, Annie thinks Ray is losing grip on reality but gradually warms to Rays idea, sensing that it is something much more than the misguided project of a slightly lost farmer.
The film develops as Ray builds his field and mysterious and magical things begin to happen to those around him.
Along the way he meets many beatifully crafted and played characters. James Earl Jones as a burnt out 60's novelist and Burt Lancaster as a failed Baseball player turned doctor.
Ray is selfless in his persuit of helping those around him achieve their goals and only towards the end of the film does he ask "whats in it for me?".
We all find out whats in it for Ray at the end in a closing scene that will melt even the hardest heart. Ray fulfills his real dream without even really consiously knowing what it was.
Some of the pro-critics have accused the movie of being overly sentimental but the film is a charming and magical jouney through the lives of ordinary folk. Most of us are Ray Kinsellas, with dreams we may never be brave enough to try to fulfill.
If only Hollywood made more films of this class rather than the endless stream of mindless action movies maybe that seem to bombard us from every angle.
Dont be put off by the baseball theme, just sir back enjoy the story, the beautiful Iowa cornfields, the acting, the superb musical score and you too will believe that dreams can come true.

5.0 out of 5 stars field of dreams, 25 Feb 2005
This review is from: Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
Adapted from WP Kinsellas bestseller Shoeless Joe, Director and writer Phil Alden Robinson captures the esscence of the book beautifully, and perhaps adds a touch of extra magic,too. Magnificently shot, perfectly cast and extemely engaging, this is one of those rare films that will leave you inspired and warm, for the rest of the day at least. Elements of the cosmic, passion and reincarnation are all themes subtly touched upon,and the baseball in the movie is merely a fine backround with far deeper meaning, this movie is one that concerns itself the the what ifs and power of dreams in life,a perfect soundtrack and features a golden appearence from screen icon Burt Lancaster. DVD extras include cast and crew information, bios and feature commentary from its the director and producer. Feature length production footage is a superb addition to the movie, featuring interviews with the cast, director and the author kinsella, it gives the viewer everthing they want to know about the movie and what went into making this modern classic. Recommended to any one whos ever dreamed in life, and even those cold hearted critics. A gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite films, 9 Nov 2006
This review is from: Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
For years my dad kept telling me to watch this film, and for years I ignored him. Foolishly. I bought this DVD about a year ago and have lost count of the amount of times I have watched it. It is, in my opinion, the best sports film I have ever seen (and I love sports films!)

Whilst the soul of the film is about dreams and always believing in yourself no matter how hard it is, for me the real strength lies in the tenderness with which it addresses not just baseball, but sport as a whole. The simply stunning Terrance Mann (James Earl Jones) speech about baseball near the end of the film, for me sums up what sport is all about. I am only a small fan of baseball and had no idea about it when originally watching the film but am a huge football fan, unfortunatly being an avid Wolves supporter! Yet although the speech talked about baseball, the meaning behind it, the spirit of what the game encompasses is true for all sports, football especially. Being a wolves fan has been passed down through the generations of my family (all being wolverhampton born) and as the speech says, its the one thing that has stuck through the ages, the one thing that unites us. I am 19 and will never for the rest of my life forget the magical day we beat United in the premiership, and this speech recalls the importance of sport in our hearts and in our memories from when we were young. It is the way sport is addressed in this film, that makes it just amazing.

PLus as an earlier reviewer rightly said, if you are not touched by the last 15 minutes of the film, you have no soul. The line which always gets me being "No Ray, it was you" *sniff* I promise you this will be the one of the best DVD purchases you will ever make. A brilliant film, which will be around for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa., 13 Jan 2002
This review is from: Field Of Dreams [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
Phil Alden Robinson's moving film, about the man who hears voices telling him to build a baseball pitch on his farm land, has lost none of it's emotional punch twelve years on. It is one of those rare occasions when everything falls into place beautifully. The cast is lead by Kevin Costner doing what he does best - performing in somebody else's picture whilst being supported by other impressive actors. James Earl Jones seems to have always been meant to play the writer Terrance Mann, in fact the role was written with him in mind. Ray Liotta has a formidable presence as Shoeless Joe, stealing his scenes with a quiet, hypnotic stare. Composer James Horner's score perfectly compliments the magical atmosphere of the film, along with its themes of nostalgia and loss. But ultimately it is Robinson's script and direction that weaves the real magic with just the right amount of saccharine, as he delivers us what must surely be the 'It's A Wonderful Life' for our generation.
The film alone is worth anyone's money, but the fact that this DVD release comes complete with a director's commentary and an hour and a half long documentary makes it a truly essential purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A film of dreams, 30 Jan 2002
This review is from: Field Of Dreams [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
A film that is very much underated. Kevin Costner gives a magnificent performance. The film truly is a dream, and everything fits together perfectly to give a masterpiece of a film.
The film starts with Kevin Costner in his corn field hearing voices telling him 'If you build it, they will come'. He soon finds out that he has to build a baseball field so that the 'ghosts' of old baseball players can come back to play the game they fell in love with. Still the voices come demanding Costner time and money.
The film is very very far fetched, but when watching the film, you don't look at that aspect. You just get engrosed in the films magic and fantasy. Truly magnificent performances by all the cast help make this seem beliveable.
Many people I have spoken too have never heard of the film, which truly shocked me, but upon recommendation, these people made sure to see it, and i have not yet heard a bad comment about it.
A must see film that relies on fantasy, magic and a sadness that excellently combine to make this outstanding and a tear-jerker.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you build it, he will come...., 18 May 2005
This review is from: Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
This is one of those films that you always seem to forget about until you're reminded, and then its 'Oh yeah...'. It was the same for me until I caught it mid-afternoon on tv one Sunday, and since then I've purchased it and even now I still watch it on a regular basis. I've heard it called a 'guy film', but I think that pigeonholes it in an area it doesn't deserve to be; anyone can watch and love this film, but its guys (and maybe guys of a certain age...) that will truly 'get' this. I consider myself fairly tough when it comes to emotional stuff, but this film leaves me blubbering like a baby - my girlfriend doesnt understand why, but from like-minded male friends who've watched this it provokes the same reaction. Everytime its over, I feel like picking up the phone and calling my dad just to talk (although I never seem to do).
The film follows Iowa farmer Roy Kinsella (superbly played by Kevin Costner in, perhaps, the only role I've ever liked him) as he attempts to turn his corn fields into a baseball field. Why? Because a mysterious voice tells him to of course. And whilst that may sound like a dodgy premise, believe me you'll suspend belief from start to finish. Despite initial opposition from his wife and brother-in-law, Roy (with the help of a collection of baseball players from the past that reads like a who-was-who of American baseball) builds his field and realises his dreams.
The film is not without its faults - namley assuming that everyone on the planet is familiar with American baseball players from the past (in this case namely the 1930's & 40's). Another annoying feature is the inclusion of the typical American overly-cutesy kid (which no American family movie can be without - its written in the constitution), but these faults are minor. The acting is amazingly subtle, and as well as Kevin Costner this film can also boast Burt Lancaster, James Earl Jones and Ray Liotta. The music score is beautiful, and the cinematography alone will leave you breathless; as for the final 15 minutes, well.....if they dont touch your soul, please go see a doctor because you're obviously missing a heart.
This film is a worthy addition to any dvd collection - truly a forgotten classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I give it 10 stars? **********, 20 Nov 2002
What an amazing film. I have watched it 30 times and I feel like I'm there with Ray in his corn field.
I first saw this film not long after my father died 3 days before Christmas day in 1990. He had just retired and I thought that I would at last be able to get to know him. He was never at home, always away at work and something sort of told me that this was a turning point. It wasn't to be.
Now I watch this film and I can feel my father here with me. Rays story touches that nerve that for me at least brings back all those things I would have liked to have talked about with him but never got the chance. He never saw our children but I know he is here looking after us.
As to the corn field, my corn field is in two places, a bedroom in my house where he helped me install my central heating, and at my mothers garden where we built a shed together.
This is a classic. Never let it be deleted from the catalogue!

5.0 out of 5 stars A place where dreams come true, 26 Feb 2001
By A Customer
The film stars Kevin Costner superbly cast as Ray Kinsella, a retired child of the 60s, now a novice Iowa farmer who one day hears 'the voice' telling him to build a baseball field.
Far from a sports movie, the field exists as an arena that is truly american, and holds a special place in the hearts of many as where innocence, endeavour exist in the warm blue skies of Iowa.
The film is seen from the eyes of Costner and his low key acting allows the dreamlike events and fanatasy themes unfold without disturbance in front of the viewer as he follows the commands of 'the voice.' James Earl Jones especially as the reclusive writer modelled on JD Salinger complements Costner superbly. Burt Lancaster puts in an emotional performance as Archibald Graham and epitomises the theme of redemption and the innocence of time long since gone.
Every scene is enthralling without trying to teach morales, and is backed by a beautiful John Williams score makes this the best feel good movie I have seen.
Full of wide eyed wonder and magic rather than sentimentality, it truly deserves to be classed as an epic modern classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pushes all your buttons, 12 Jun 2007
This review is from: Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
Every now and then you find a film that just pushes all your buttons, it really speaks to you, no not "the voice", but to your heart. I am not ashamed to say that I cannot watch this film without crying, and I must have seen it at least twice a year, for a number of years now. It always gets me.

A father son relationship that fell apart leaving regrets that could never be resolved, the beauty of this film is that it plays on a common problem that many men have with their fathers, and gives us all the chance to make a difference. I for one formed a much better relationship with my own father after watching the film, so you could say it has changed my life, though I hate that phrase it sounds so trite, but this film prompted me to make a choice before it was too late and for that I will always be grateful. That reason alone ensures it will always get top marks from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terence, he's the Mann, 4 Dec 2002
This review is from: Field Of Dreams [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
What an amazing piece of film-making. As you slowly get drawn into this very unplausible story by some stunning performances from Costner, Liotta and Earl Jones, you begin to realise that is truly one of the great movies of our age.
There are a lot of messages in their, lots of stuff about realising dreams and mending broken fences, and definately one of the most heart rending endings ever.
its one of my top 5 films of all time, and can't wait to get the dvd home.

Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989]
Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989] by Phil Alden Robinson (DVD - 2003)
5.00