5.0 out of 5 stars and finally i'll sleep, and i'll sleep throught the night., 17 Feb 2006
This review is from: As The Roots Undo (Audio CD)
i guess so far my amazon reviews have been rather biased, all the bands and cd's i have reviewed share a special place in my heart and thus have earned their 5star appraisals, well, circle takes the square is no different!
fast paced punk influence thrash. its so hard to define this band style and this is easily expalined by the bands want: "not to limit ourselves to playing any one genre of music". words like stunning, captivating, awe-inspiring, mesmorising can describe them but don't help to pinpoint a sound that is so honestly unique, they do what they do and they're extremely good at it.
vocals are provide by all members of the band adding depth to the songs whether that be the guy to girl screaming, a contrast of melody and violence, devastingly beautiful harmonies or gang vocals. atmospheric intros and guitar accents that mould into a defintion of the song (for example; "Non Objective Portrait of Karma") craftsmenship is at the heart of these songs and it shows. "as the roots undo" offer more in eight tracks than some bands offer in their entire careers.
if you like heavy music, if you like innovative and new sounds, or if you just need to add an extra item to your basket to qualify for free delivery get this cd now. you won't be dissapointed.
i think fans of daughters, norma jean and the number 12 looks like you will especially like this.<

4.0 out of 5 stars a slightly biased review most likely, 5 May 2006
This review is from: As The Roots Undo (Audio CD)
I do love this band...and ive loved em for longer than ive owned this album

but even so

they really push the boat out in terms of experimenting. If screamo or heavy metal in general is not to your taste i wouldnt recommend it, if it is however: buy this now!

it has influences from so many genres and the songs are epic and twisted or fast and thrashy as hell

This whole album and all the songs on it traverse from beauty in words and songs to undeniable pain and frustration screamed by the dual vocallists

sometimes however, not being the biggest fan of experimental music in general (this band being the only experimental band i listen to) the constant changing of pace and styles is a bit frustrating and can throw you off the songs, but listen to it all the way through and it will grow on you

amazing album

4.0 out of 5 stars In some ways there is beauty, 12 April 2009
T. D., Morse - See all my reviews
This review is from: As The Roots Undo (Audio CD)
It is generally a metal album, but instead of continuous thrash, ther are moments of beauty which act as a good countebalance to the anger that comes out in the songs. a sort of tension and release in the noise level. I bought this on a whim, I like it for its variety, which is propably not a you associate with metal, spot the folk progressive and maybe a smidgeon of world, post-rock etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories..., 1 Dec 2013
T. Nichols (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As The Roots Undo (Audio CD)
This album pretty much sums up the autumn of 2005 for me. When my friend first introduced me to this band, this album was in constant rotation; I went through a few months of listening to it in its entirety on a daily basis. I think many people will agree that there has never been another album quite like "As the Roots Undo." That being said, I haven't listened to this album in at least 5 years now. I guess my taste in music has since veered off into other directions, and I honestly find the vocals a little irritating sometimes now. For whatever reason, today I decided to give it another try and wow, so much nostalgia! Once you get past the vocals, the music and the lyrics themselves are just as powerful as they were back then. So much emotion, so much energy; every song is a distinct entity and yet all of the tracks fit together seamlessly. I would almost venture to say that each track is better than the one before it, with the second half of the album certainly being the highlight here. I don't know why some of the other reviewers are labeling this "metal"; I don't hear any metal elements whatsoever. I do hear a lot of punk/powerviolence, early 90s "emo", post-punk, and post-rock, all blended together like I've never heard before. In retrospect, it really is sad how overlooked this album and band were in the context of all of the other "screamo" garbage that was being hashed out in the early/mid 2000's. I am sure that in the decades to come, future generations will come to recognize this one as a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars ScreamO, 6 Jan 2012
R. Payne "8ball13" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As The Roots Undo (Audio CD)
Before I got into Electronic music, I was obsessed with Rock and Metal, and this band along with Dillinger Escape Plan and Tool were the ones who stood out for me the most when I look back.

This album is intense. People like to refer to the style as "Screamo Metal" and you can see why, as the opening four songs give you little room to breathe. However, there are some beautifully melodic moments, notably on the second half of the album, with my highlights being "Interview at the Ruins" and "Kill the Switch".

The musicianship is also very impressive, even more so as there are only three members. Nowadays, I find it difficult to listen to all the way through, but still give it a 5 because it provided me with with so many good moments in the past.

If you like it, I recommend Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars As the roots undo by CIRCLE TAKES THE SQUARE, 8 July 2010
This review is from: As The Roots Undo (Audio CD)
This is an amazing album but the reason that I am writing this "review" is because Amazon (in their frankly limited wisdom) seem to think it is by a band called Crestfallen!!! I would like to call your attention to the cover... which clearly states the name CIRCLE TAKES THE SQUARE... I have spotted plenty more of these stupid mistakes all over the site but this is the first time I have bothered to say anything about it because this CD is such a special one and should be credited to the rightful owners... Get your act together Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish i was that kid, 22 Feb 2004
This review is from: As The Roots Undo (Audio CD)
Just refreshing and new, different styles of screaming that make you shudder with emotion. If you like Norma jean, Every time i die, Remembering never, joshua fit for battle, or any H.c , screamo, emo violence then buy this record.

As The Roots Undo
As The Roots Undo by Circle Takes The Square (Audio CD - 2004)