4.0 out of 5 stars Almost excellent!
I will start with a brief description of my fitness level and then I will proceed with the pros and cons of this DVD:

Published on 20 Mar 2009 by C. P. Costouros

2.0 out of 5 stars Very repetative
Published 2 months ago by Dinah85

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost excellent!, 20 Mar 2009
C. P. Costouros (Athens) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)

I am 31 years old and have been practising yoga almost everyday for the last 4 months or so. Before that I was really not fit at all as I very rarely did any exercise and smoked. So when I begun practising yoga 4 months ago I had to start with really simple workouts (Alan Finger from Yogazone was excellent for me at the time) and even though they were simple I still found them challenging!! I have been practising with this DVD among others for the last month or so and I am very pleased with it although I keep it for the days when I am feeling more energetic (the days when I am not looking forward to sweat so much I use Love Yoga with Ryan Spielman which is excellent!).

Advantages: the instructor is really good and offers the practitioner an authentic yoga experience. You get a sense that you are not only working out but really practising yoga - and this is what it is all about after all. Her voice and manner help the practitioner to treat this as an active meditation rather than just a physically challenging workout. Her advice is also superb and I find that I remember it and use it when I am practising with other DVDs or in class. She is a very inspiring instructor. The programme itself is an introduction to Ashtanga yoga as the title would suggest. For practitioners who are used to practice Ashtanga's primary series this is not going to be very useful, as it only consists of Sun Salutations A and B and some of the standing postures. However, for people who are slowly and gradually working towards the full primary series this is excellent! There is a breakdown of the Sun Salutions but it is done in such a way that will work your flexibility and cardiovascular ability and make you sweat!!! I also like the standing postures for all the guidance that Nicki Doane gives whilst doing them. The relaxation in the end is one of the best relaxation sections I have come across. It is not too long (which bores me...:)) nor too short, just right!

Disadvantages: I find that this programme is really not good value for money as it is quite limited in what it can offer. Once you have mastered it there really is nowhere else to go with this DVD and the practitioner will have to move on to another more advanced one without having managed to master yet the full primary series. At the very least, for Nicki Doane's fans around the world, there should be another DVD for the next level leading to the full primary series but there isn't. So having mastered this DVD the practitioner will have to find and buy another DVD with another instructor (and this is not always easy...at least to find a good one or one that matches this one's standards!). That is why I have only given it 4 stars....

To sum up however, I totally recommend this dvd, it's really worth it if you are at the right level for it. However, a word of caution: there is another dvd available through Amazon by the same instructor: Ahstanga Yoga Introductory Poses, which is sold separately but it is really just one of the two segments of this DVD. So for better value for money give the Introductory Poses one amiss and just buy this one which includes both the Sun Salutations and some of the standing postures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good yoga dvd, 15 Jan 2007
M. Ward "mrwardinmilan" (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I have practiced yoga on and off for about a year. I am by no means an expert but wanted to get a dvd to help with home practice and to restart my yoga.

I find the instruction very easy to follow plus there are pose guides throughout the DVD so if at any stage you are not sure about a pose, you just click through to see it explained and then it takes you back to where you left off.

The only reason I gave this 4 stars and not 5 is because I would have liked more poses to give a bit more variety however wit is an excellent ashtanga workout for beginners and people wanting to restart their yoga practice and I would fully recommend it as such.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great up to a point, 22 Feb 2008
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I agree that this DVD is excellent but it is very much introductory and so will annoy you if you want to do it regularly as to do a reasonable practice you will do the whole programme which includes all the starting steps.

I don't agree with the other reviewer saying this is too advanced. You have to start somewhere and I think that this pitches it at the right level. It simply would have been nice to have the introductory poses and then a full programme for those that felt more comfortable, in order to give this DVD a longer shelf life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for yoga beginner who is at least relatively fit, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
As a regular gym goer with little knowledge of yoga, I bought this DVD as I wanted to try ashtanga yoga. Well, I love this! It's clear, concise and inspiring.

For me, this offers the right level of description and instruction. I had previously bought yogalates and another yoga dvd (by the guy that was Geri Halliwell's instructor - can't remember name), and both irritated the hell out of me. Not exactly great when you are looking for that sense of wellbeing! This has the right pitch for someone looking for a sense of authenticity without it being dry/dull.

I don't think this is the best dvd for you if you are very unfit and new to yoga, as I think you will struggle. Main reason being that there aren't really any modifications shown on DVD. I consider myself fit with at least average flexibility and sense of balance, and I found the first go challenging.

Nicky Doane's instruction, pace, and manner is excellent. Enjoyed the advanced demo (inspiring) and the interview too.

This DVD has inspired me to start taking classes - thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I am a first timer at yoga. I read through lots of reviews before choosing this DVD. I didn't know what to expect and watched the DVD through, it 'looked' easy. Well, it's not! I have been practising now for approx 4wks about twice a week, the strength is coming, but I sweat like a pig every time, and I thought I was fit???? The DVD is step by step, great timing and a fab work out. Highly recommended for new comers to yoga. :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very repetative, 6 Oct 2014
Dinah85 "Dinah93" (Cleveland,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I've been doing yoga twice a week for around two years now, with a period of doing modified work while pregnant. I have to say if I'd started with this dvd I'd never have gotten into it, this is very, very repetitive. It's also quite heavy on the knees, neck and back, there are few positions to work on the legs and arms. I also find that a lot of the poses are held for longer than would be comfortable as a beginner. While you can click through to learn more about the poses no modifications are suggested as part of the main programme for slight alterations to make it easier on wrists, necks etc which is something my yoga teachers always do every session just to remind us that what we can do one day we might not do another. The DVD is good in reminding you yoga is about meditation not a workout, I like that not once is toning or weight loss mentioned,

3.0 out of 5 stars cheap yoga dvd, 29 May 2009
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
not bad but it was pretty cheap and I could only view the dvd on my computer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good condition, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I was pleased to find the picture and sound quality was of a high standard but am disappointed it is not for beginners!

1.0 out of 5 stars DVD won't play on my machine in the UK, 19 April 2009
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I can't tell you about the content of this DVD as it wouldn't play on my DVD player - it is not a region 2 disc and thus was incompatible for my viewing. Wish I'd known this before I'd bought it so be warned. Check your player is ok for all regions before buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really tough!, 5 Nov 2007
This review is from: Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I have been doing yoga for about a year and, although I'm not a very flexible person, I'm in pretty good shape. There's is no way I could do this stuff! This is not for beginners at all! I'm going to keep looking for something more basic. Plus the woman's voice practically puts you to sleep.

Ashtanga Yoga Beginners Practice [DVD] [2003]