4.0 out of 5 stars Sequel improves vastly upon a fairly lacklustre original
Published on 29 Mar. 2004 by C. Hogarty

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish to Install
Published on 28 April 2008 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sequel improves vastly upon a fairly lacklustre original, 29 Mar. 2004
C. Hogarty (Brisbane, Aus (formerly Glasgow, UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
I wasn't a fan of the original Splinter Cell. I liked the graphics and the ideas behind it but the reality of the game failed to live up to the concept - it was hyper-linear, only allowing the player to walk a pre-defined path using exactly the moves they wanted you to use exactly when they wanted you to use them, rather than give you the freedom of motion to decide how you would like to approach a situation.
In the sequel, they've taken a note out of the games such as Hitman 2, Deus Ex and Thief by offering more routes to objectives, although the paths once taken are still very linear, and they've diversified the gadgets/moves yet again (with a very neat SWAT turn) that further improves the gameplay. The AI seems a lot more realistic and a lot less to notice you the instant you step from the shadows.
The music and ambience in the game is kept unobtrusive while in stealth and short bursts of adrenaline music when you're discovered or suddenly engage in combat. It works well with the overall atmosphere.
All this and with the jungle a welcome change of scenery from the entirely urban affair of the original (although it is in urban areas where Sam's abilities shine), the sequel is a pretty interesting game - and we haven't even touched on the multiplayer yet.
Man, oh man, the multiplayer is an innovation. An amazing feat, quite a daring gamble, and a tremendous addition to the multiplayer canon and will be played for a long time - hopefully with all sorts of mods or add-ons if Ubi release tools for mod-capability. They have created an amazing franchise opportunity here and with this exploding as it is on the net, I can assume they will see the profitability in this exploit.
To sum up simply without exceeding the word count five times over I shall say that it is a maximum of 2 vs 2, which works perfectly for a game balanced such as this is for skill, stealth and tension - mercenaries vs spies - mercs play like Rainbox 6 in first person perspective with assault rifles + grenades, they have electromagnetic and motion detection vision modes, laser trip wires to track movement in key areas (as well as key areas having their own security systems) and mines to catch the unwary spy - spies play like Splinter Cell in 3rd person, they have heat and night vision, they have flashbangs and chaff grenades, tracking bullets and spy cameras, they also have stun guns and for those who are talented enough, you can grab a merc and either put him to sleep or crack his neck. The range and breadth of the gameplay offered is tremendous and the replay value to improve your skill set as either class is very high.
All in all, a very impressive release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch for minimum spec!, 14 April 2004
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
This is a fantastic follow up to the original splinter cell. I bought it online as soon as it was released. i would advise anyone thinkin about buying it to check the minimum spec requirements. It's a gorgeous loooking game and needs a monster of a graphics card to function well. just a word of advise. otherwise - awesome game!

5.0 out of 5 stars heavy going___but awesome stuff, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
just when you thought the shadows were safe... the rules have changed. and so have some of the voices; the weapons; gadgets; moves; soundtrack; graphics and of course that heart-pounding multi-player mode.
this is infintely more subtle than the original splinter cell - the plot is less obvious at first; some flawed systems have been revamped - ubisoft have listened to the few criticisms that the first game got, and my have they made a beautiful game. there really is nothing in the games world like the opening level's sunset on the coast or the multiplayer's endless creeping and dodging the enemy. nothing comes close to it. but perhaps there's a problem here. maybe it's become a little too distant??
the plot is far less linear, the surroundings are yet more roamable, the action scenes are more fun, but there's something not quite tangible that affects you by playing it. its rather eerie and solemn at times, full of anticipation and suspense. in some ways its a good thing, but one can't but help ponder a little while playing through it.
oh, and there's 3 less levels in this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy just got classier, 21 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
The orginal Splinter Cell was a very good game that had a few problems. In this new game these problems are ironed out and the tension is cranked up. New moves and weapons are added to the package and the storyline has become more cinematic, without being too intrusive. The graphics have been improved and there are new sight modes (thermal, night,etc). The A.I. has been greatly improved and so has the gameplay. The levels have become less linear giving the player many options to get through a level. There is also a brand new multiplayer option which has been superbly done. It includes mercernaries in a first person view against shadow teams who are like Sam Fisher. This mode works brilliantly but can only be played with a few players. With nine new levels this has plenty to keep any gamer busy.
Great for any newbies to this genre and great for any experienced stealth players. Far better than it's predecessor and will thrash the likes of Metal Gear Solid any day. One of the best games of the year! Five stars:*****

5.0 out of 5 stars Online awe, 5 May 2004
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
I played this first as a single player, and although an improvement on the original Splinter Cell, it is not dissimilar. You do however get a wider range of solutions to problems ie shoot everyone/ shoot some/ shoot none and just be very very sneaky. The game really comes into its own when you play on the multi player level over the internet. I stopped playing games over the internet when broadband took over, and as I don't live in a broadband area, my 56K modem meant that I moved so slowly in relation to everyone else that I would be decimated by other lower ping (broadband)players. Pandora Tomorrow has a 56K area, which means that we all play at the same sort of ping, and thus can have a really good competition. I should knock off a star for the fact that I know spend too long playing on the computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of the same great fun. (It does work on geforce 4 btw)., 8 April 2004
Peter Lobley (Isle of Man, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
In response to an earlier review - It's only the MX card it won't work on. It works on other geforce 4 cards.
If you liked the original you'll like this one. However, expect to use quickload an awful lot. (unless you are a super stealthy player) The baddies have much better sight and hearing this time round. And they are not predictable. They may behave differently each time you reload.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've just played the demo and I think I'm convinced, 23 May 2004
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
I played the original SC on a the PS2 and while I was fairly happy with the gameplay, it was lackluster but in the tom clancy vein. The new game is a heck of a lot more cinematic (the demo gives you a train level..) and I was pretty bowled over by what I saw. I'm a fan of the stealth genre and was thinking of holding back until thief 3 came out next month but im so impressed I think Ill go ahead and buy this one.
(oh and a word of advice to the guy from shropshire down there. I'm in a 56k only area in shrewsbury, Longden, but just found out that BT are updating the exchange to ADSL in next month.... Perhaps it's a good time to check the bt website no? Good to see im not the only gamer there :) )

5.0 out of 5 stars Splinter cell. Is addictive., 28 April 2004
K. Woods "duckfoot_2" (UK) - See all my reviews
Splinter Cell 2 is a truly addictive game. The first one was fun toplay,
but it never caught me. Splinter cell : pandora tomorrow,however, had me
hooked from the very beginning. The new moves are very well used,although
you seem to be missing some of the old features, such as the OLD split
jump, and the jump-off-wall technique that was also perfected be me.
Dont get me wrong, however, this is very much the old splinter cell,with
the old light-o-meter and the haven of shadows. The old gameplay mechanics
are here also, and the controls are almost exactly the same as the oldone,
and are also very intuitive, so any noobs will have no problem fittingin.
Multiplayer, so i've heard, is very fun. Im going to get flamed forthis,
since Ive only get 56k (just you wait until july...), but I think its kind
of flawed. One problem with it are the controls. they are completely
different from the single player campaign, so when I try to turn my
nightvision on, I end up changing to flashbangs (!). another problem isthe
anti-noob protection on all maps. Maybe its just me, but I alwaysmiss all
the security things, so I get discovered all the time. I guess it may be
fun online, but i've not even attempted yet. However, all is not lost!
The controls can be easily changed , and maps can eventually be learnt,
so I think theres a lot of fun to be had in the multiplayerdepartment.
Singleplayer is different. playing is so. much. fun. Although there are
still some of the old splinter cell "hit this thing behind the thingto
shut off the steam and escape" style things, which I believe could do
with a hint after 10 mins or so of struggling, this can be counteredby
the occasional walkthrough ([...] People say the sequel is
harder. I'm sure this is untrue. I found it quite easy, but I must say my
technique of neutralising everybody in the room migh make it easier.
The first half of the mission serves as a training part, showing thenew
moves off nicely. the first guard you meet is dispatched with awalkthrough
from lambert, your boss, and involves a nifty SWAT turn across anopening,
then a pistol shot through a lamp nearby, and a nice elbow on the neckfor
the guard who investigates. Very cool.
Glitchy Glitchy. As I installed the game, it prompted me to install a
driver. After experiencing some graphical wierdness in the game, I did
so, which did not make any difference. thankfully, the problem wasbanished
for a level or so by quicksaving and loading. The good thingis, after you
had sorted out any graphical problems, the graphics were verypleasing.
Enemies have loads of deatail, and Sam himself looks fantastic. The
environments have had a lot of work into them as well, apart from whenyour
night vision rips them apart with their low quality image.
Music is an important part of most games, moreso even in splinter cell,whose
music blends into the game seamlessly, increasing in tempo etc. when
detected or heard, and this really improves the game. Sound effectsdo
not dissapoint either. Being basically the same as the original, nothing
is of extreme note, but they are very pleasing, especially the nice thud
as you headshot an unwary opponent.
Overall, splinter cell gets a glowing 9/10, its score being dented by the
occasional almost impossible puzzles and the mixup in controls with MPand
SP. To me it loks like a terrible lack of communications between dev.teams,
but I could be wrong. Congratulations to the developers for avery fine
game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish to Install, 28 April 2008
Amazon Customer (Staffordshire UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
It say's this game installs on Vista. IT DON'T. I have vista home premium with more than enough spek on my laptop to run anything. Except this game. Warning boxes came up saying; not compatible with my o/s. I needed to upgrade my grafix card and drivers. Then when I tried to quit it, it sent my machine into lala land. So much so I had trouble uninstalling it. When I finally did manage it, I had to do a restore to get rid of the dreggs that were left. My machine seems fine now. But be warned. Don't believe all what you see in the descriptions. If your not sure about this and other games and your o/system. Don't buy it. Co'es you can't get a refund once you've opened the packet. Which is stupid, because you've got to open the packet and install the game before you know if it works or not. Speks are only a guide on the boxes. There has to be some give and take here. Especially if it's an expensive game. Or you've purchased it for a gift for someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Run and hide OR Stand and shoot?, 29 April 2004
This review is from: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) (Video Game)
I played Splinter Cell 1 on my Xbox but decided to get the follow-up on mynew PC and I was not disappointed. Great storyline as ever and thegameplay is fantastic. On some levels you have to use stealth but othersyou can be quick and quiet or just let the bullets fly. Either way a greatgaming experience set in some lush locations. A pity its over so quicklybut that probably was as I just couldn't stop playing it!
Buy it andlet the good times roll.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC)
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC) by Ubisoft (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)