Format: DVD|Change

on 21 March 2010
I do not understand why some have given this film [THREE STARS] its about being honest and trying to be true about who you are.
It did have me tearful at times.:(
great film i loved it highly recommended for all the family
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2004
I really enjoyed this film even though it is very predictable. Ralph Fiennes and Jennifer Lopez are quite good together, although I would love to meet a real guy who would drop everything to find a pretty woman he's spent 1 hour with just because he's fallen in love with her! Other than the unbelievable plot though, it really is a very good, funny film that most romantic comedy lovers will enjoy.
J.Lo plays a maid in a swanky hotel and Fiennes is a politician who checks in while on a campaign tour. She tries on an expensive suit in one of the posh customers rooms and he walks in on her thinking that she is the resident of the room.
And away we go on a journey of him persuing her while she is falling in love with him but trying to hide her true identity from him for the sake of her son and her job.
There is a wonderful supporting cast and a great performance from Bob Hoskins. This IS very predictable but well worth it if you want to snuggle up with your other half or just the duvet and loads of chocolate!!!
Bought purely for the Manhattan element following a visit, I knew this was slated, but so what. It actually turned out much better than I expected, with some nice location shots we could relate to.

It has pretty much every cliche in the book, but it all works nicely together, with a few laughs as well. There's the usual retinue of sassy friends and a cute mouthy kid, but the kid was actually very articulate in a pleasant mature way and didn't grate at all.

Jennifer and Natasha are very easy on the eye and the whole thing is just a pleasant way to spend an hour and three quarters.

Having just watched Sex and the City, I much preferred this, probably because it didn't have the rampant unrealistic consumerism of the latter. Mind you, I'm aware that Jennifer is a heck of a diva in real life, but she managed to disguise that in this film and came across as relatively genuine (albeit cliched to death, of course).
on 4 July 2015
An absolute delight of a film made the better by Jennifer Lopez. I now know that I am in love with her. She is a maid at at a posh hotel in New York (Manhattan) who gets mistaken for a socialite whilst trying on one of her dresses one day in her room. However republican prospective senator sees her (Ralph Fiennes) and a situation starts between them until a class divide appears and eventually she is forced to face the truth about her actions. A really excruciating performance by the late Bob Hoskins as a butler at the hotel does add a little crap to the film but the scenes where her son appears (she is a single mum) are great what a scene-stealer he is doing a project funnily enough about Tricky Dicky Nixon for school

All in all a very good film and I am still in love. Jennifer look my way!!!
on 17 May 2014
Marisa works as a maid in an up-market hotel in Manhattan. She sometimes thinks of applying for a management role, but never quite dares to apply. She’s a single mother, with a delightful son who loves history and politics but becomes nervous when speaking.

Marisa happens to meet a senatorial candidate, Chris Marshall, who mistakes her for a wealthy visitor. One date leads to another, with her initial deceit becoming increasingly complex… until the truth comes out.

I felt it took a while to get going, and was a little heavy (politically) in places, but there were some humorous moments towards the end. Jennifer Lopez as Marisa is excellent, as is Tyler Posey as her son Ty. Above average, certainly worth seeing. Really three and a half stars.
on 27 August 2004
If you like Jennifer Lopez then you'll like this film. I enjoyed the film however i have seen films simular to it for example 'a walk in the part'and 'pretty woman'. Its a good film to sit and watch with the girls.
on 10 October 2003
I don't normally watch movies so famous actors mean nothing to me. I judge by what I see and this really wowed me. The story of a Maid giving on to temptation and wearing clothes way above her station; of her resultant romance; discovery, and finally her honesty with him, and her willingness to start a new job again from the bottom really was moving. Her reward at the end was beautifully done. A lovely, gentle movie, nothing objectionable in it at all (and I'm pretty fussy) and one I will watch again and again1
on 18 April 2011
Lets take this film for what it is, a light hearted comedy and essential escapism. I am not a fan of Ms Lopez but she aquits herself well in this role. I thought Natasha Richardson was just great as the spoilt rich socialite. Again Ralph Fiennes had be drooling, can this man do no wrong! He has that inate ability to draw you in with utter charm. Possessing the LOVELIEST eyes and smile I have ever seen dosn't hinder his drawing power either! Of course he can act anyone off the screen and it was great to see him here in a less serious role for a change. I love the last frame of him with Lopez, when his whole face seems to radiate happiness (perhaps it was for him a relief / end of the film!). Anyway, Im now on a quest to find every film I can with the divinne Mr Fiennes, and shall enjoy every moment watching them all !!
on 31 October 2013
Lovely to see a Ralph Fiennes film that goes well.

There were several lovely lines and set pieces, about picking yourself up, he's not part of our lives but we wish him luck with his, and Chris Marshall coming to the aid of Marisa when she was plagued by the press etc etc. All the acting was great, the script (only 2x to suspend 'dis'belief) was solid. Jennifer Lopez brought direct honesty and warmth (very beautiful).

I thought it was really good. Ty was craquant. Stanley Tucci is always interesting. You can say something fine about all the cast.
on 8 May 2004
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this movie (even though I love, love, love romantic comedies) but came away pleasently surprised by this. While this film won't soley prove the point, Jenifer Lopez can act and is very good in ths movie and totally believable as a single Mum (her kid is cute to!!!). And it's nice to see Ralph Finnes, the most serious luvvie in the business, give himself a break and try something a little more light-hearted. While not a natural rom-com male, he gives it his best shot, and seems himself to be enjoying taking a break from all the soul searching of previous roles such as The English Patient and The end of the affair. He and J-Lo also come across as genuinely liking eachother as well.
No this isn't deep, no it isn't rocket science, but it doesn't claim to be. It's a chick flick and not a bad one at that. It's good fun, light and enjoyable. Grab a box of chocolates, a bottle of wine and snuggle down and enjoy, and take life easy for a bit, just like Ralph does in this movie...