4.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic mix
For me it stands out as one of the best back to mine comps to date along with Nick Warren and Faithless.
Published on 2 Oct 2003 by huddiemonster

3.0 out of 5 stars Torn
Published on 16 Sep 2003 by Simon J. Whight

3.0 out of 5 stars Torn, 16 Sep 2003
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Mine - Underworld (Audio CD)
I'm a bit in two minds about this one. On one side, you've got my passion for all things Underworld, going to bed hugging a copy of Second Toughest In The Infants and taking Beacoup Fish for romantic meals out. On the other side I've got my expectations of the Back To Mine series, such as the fantastic ambience as mixed up by Dave Seaman and Nick Warren, the wonderful melancholic chill of Faithless. When other faves of mine Orbital got snapped up to do one of these, I was quite looking forward to it, what I didn't like was what turned out to be a bit of a mish mash of a mix. Randomly jumping from style and tempo in a manner that should really be left to experts like Soulwax and Coldcut. And I find the same feeling creeping up here. Ok, I get the concept that Part 1 are tracks that should be left to stand alone and Part 2 is the actual DJ mix experience, but it just doesn't sit right for me. The harsh old skool techno sounds of LFO, Rave Signal and Remy & Sven, for me, just clash against downtempo numbers like Dr Octagon and TLC. Its like two radically different ends of the musical spectrum clashing against each other in a way that isn't that fun to listen to. However, get to the sequence which is the Toots & Maytals through to Dead Prez and you're treated to a wicked soundclash of dub, intelligent drum & bass and hip hop. Great stuff.
Perhaps I've been spoilt by the previous mixes in the series, seamless flowing journeys that hook you in from track one and carry you on a journey right up to the closer. After listening to this, I wonder, what would it have been like with Darren Emerson still on board. Maybe the DJs insight might have led to a more coherant mix. I'll be listening to this, though, most likely sticking it on right at track 7 to hear a bit of mixing inspiration in action...

4.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic mix, 2 Oct 2003
This review is from: Back To Mine - Underworld (Audio CD)
Admittedly the Gil Scott Heron's track does go on a little long, but I like his funky poetic style and its a great opener. This album works as a set piece as far as I am concerned, stick it on and relax. The way the pace and mood changes so much throughout the album is a credit to Underworld's ability as musicians and I think it works.
If you are someone who appreciates many styles of music then this is for you, if you are expecting something in line with Underworld leave well alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 16 Dec 2003
This review is from: Back To Mine - Underworld (Audio CD)
i own a few of these collections and in relation to this type of album, it is one of the best. the first i heard was groove armada's an was amazed, purely because this was my first experience to this sort of album. somehow, no matter how many of these albums get released, the more similar they all feel. this is by no means a bad thing, yet i find myself listening to the album a good 20 times, adore a few tracks, but then i am bored with it. this is the reason the album gets a 4.
so far as the content is concerned, the middle section of the album is incredible. to mix reggae, into an indie group, to dance through to hip hop, (this by the way is the moment of the album, when the bass of aphex twin - didgeridoo is mixed into dead prez - hiphop) you have to be a genius in musical knowledge and production. underworld show their maturity in this collection, although i very much doubt that all these songs were serious influences on the group! forget that though, this is an entertaining musical ride through many genres, and a superb offering. my personal recommendation of a back to mine/late night tales collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Bag, 30 Oct 2010
This review is from: Back To Mine - Underworld (Audio CD)
Tobh not mad about this collection, don't really think it flows as a piece and quite a few of the choices pretty mediocre. The 4 track section bracketing Bukem's 'Music' and Dead Prez is superb, but this is very much a section apart. If that vibe was extended to the album as a whole it'd be something else, but it isn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars START AT TRACK TWO..., 25 Aug 2003
Mr. Ross Allatt "slackdad 38" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Back To Mine - Underworld (Audio CD)
This is an excellent addition to the Back to Mine series with the exception of the opening track whose inclusion smacks of self indulgenace and stubbornness on the Underworld duo. There's got to be a good reason for any track to last eleven minutes - Mr Scott Heron makes his point well and should have quit at half time. After that though, the CD is a perfect mix of summer beats (TLC), techno, reggae, dub and world music.
The mixing (to my non-mix ears) is a real highlight, especially from the Toots & the Maytals track through to Ali Farka Toure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly mixed!, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Back To Mine - Underworld (Audio CD)
I was let down by great producers. How come they are so good yet this is so bad? I love Underworld but this has just been thrown together with huge disregard for the listener.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious, 20 Aug 2003
This review is from: Back To Mine - Underworld (Audio CD)
I liked the Groove Armada Back to Mine Compilation, but unfortunately this Album is more of an exercise in musical diversity than a cohesive chill out album.
Granted, Remy n Sven, Rave Signal are classics and there is a superb mix with Didgeridoo into Dead Prez, but other that that this is a load of tosh, Irish jig music and Obscure African chants my ass, thats just being pretentious.

Back To Mine - Underworld
Back To Mine - Underworld by Underworld (Audio CD - 2003)