5.0 out of 5 stars Iriver IMP-550 . its GOOD.
Published on 17 Dec 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Great player, rubbish battery life
A great player- great sound, great look, menu easy to use once you get the hang of it! But the battery life is rubbish. Even using the attachable AA case, they don't last very long. But it's small and light so I'll have to put up with it :o)
Published on 11 Nov 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Iriver IMP-550 . its GOOD., 17 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Iriver SlimX Super Slim MP3 CD Player With Tuner IMP-550 (Electronics)
I've had my IMP-550 personal CD player for a couple of weeks now. It is by far the best CD player I've owned having had experience of good quality Sony and Philips players in the past. Its compact and light but a quality item. It comes with 2 x NiMH 1450mAH gumstick rechargeables and an auxiliary tube which holds 2 x AA batteries. The unit has a discharge and charge function and completed that operation for me in about 4 hours. There is also a smart, slim case which can be looped on your belt and gives the player good protection. The only control on the unit itself opens the lid and is not accessable when in the case.
I downloaded the latest firmware upgrade (1.40) from Iriver's site, burned it to a CDRW and the player read it and upgraded within a minute. I believe the Ogg Vorbis codec is an imminent firmware download which will allow even higher music quality in less space.
I found the wired remote easy to use and with which everything on this player is customisable but its well worth studying the manual to get the best out of it. The manual is well set out and easy to read with plenty pictures. I have burned a few CDRs, CDRWs full of MP3s and audio CDs on cheap media and the player has read and played them all without a hitch. I got myself some new headphones (Koss Porta Pro) as I prefer the open type and these have made the player sound even better than it did with the original supplied Sennheiser in-ear.
The stereo FM reception is good around where I live and the unit auto tuned all the available stations in seconds, 20 presets are available. Sometimes lost the signal when walking around town but just for seconds.
All in all I am extremely happy with the performance of this player although I have not tried all the codecs or the optical out yet. Yes I would buy it again tomorrow, even at the higher price I paid.

4.0 out of 5 stars So cool..., 3 Mar 2004
Mark L (Cheddar, UK) - See all my reviews
I lusted after this item for so long before i took the plunge and treated myself. It is very expensive, but you understand why when you get it - it looks fantastic, you will be the envy of all your mates.
Sound quality is excellent at 128kbps, and almost undistinguishable from CD quality at 192kbps. Loading time is short - usually under ten seconds even for a cd full of mp3s. I have yet to hear it skip despite using it while running and on a bumpy bus ride.
The display on the remote is very clear and provides full ID3 tag information, and can even display song lyrics in time with the music with software available free from the iriver website.
All in all an excellent, classy player. Only 3 criticisms:
1. Radio reception is very poor - I am in a strong reception area yet it usually only recieves the broadcast in mono, and that too with a tinny sound quality.
2. With only 3 jog-wheels being used to control all the wide range of functions it has, you will need to spend a long time with the instruction manual learning the sequence of key-presses needed to get it to do what you want.
3. Battery life (without the external battery pack) is very short, probably around 3 hours if you are frequently changing tracks and using the backlight. (Although I am told battery life will improve after a few charging-discharging cycles.)
Oh, and we are still waiting for that .ogg file support that was promised last year. Nevertheless, a good player if you can afford it.

5.0 out of 5 stars imp-550 Class and Quality, 4 Dec 2003
By A Customer
I got my IMP 550 a week ago and all I can say is wow. No regrets. Sounds terrific. Menu system took a couple of days to get used to but easy once you know how. This was my early Xmas present. I love it. It sounds better than my old Sony CD player and streets ahead of my Philips Expanium. Got all the features and I read on Iriver's site that the OGG VORBIS codec is due before New Year. Plays rewritables full of MP3s no problem. Just about everthing is customisable via the menu sytem. Graphic Equaliser etc etc etc Nice case too. Nearly forgot the FM. Clear reception where I live most of the time. Only used 5 of the 20 presets. Buy it..........

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, great looks, easy to use. Lousy power usage., 17 Aug 2004
By A Customer
Very pleased with this. I was looking for something with good sound quality, I found many of its competitors (particularly Sony) tinny and I wanted something capable of doing justice to some dynamically challenging classical music as well as Rock & Jazz. The sound quality is excellent and as I say I'm delighted with the result.
The FM radio has adequate but not great reception (doesn't deal too well with motion but fine if you are moderately still - great for sitting at a computer, not so good for sitting in a bus / train. Sound quality when you have reception is fine.
My biggest quibble, and a strong reason for not giving it five stars is the power usage. The battery life, on the supplied rechargable sticks only, is poor - probably about three hours. Much worse though is that when the charge starts to fail (2 bars out of 3) it frequently fails to play MP3 files on a RW CD - the CD spins but doesn't advance or produce any sound. This can makes the MP3 function useless if you're not near a power supply to sort it out. The problem doesn't occur with standard music CDs and the radio will also work.
Firmware updates are very easy (if you have an internet connection and a CD writer) and the menu system, though extensive, is reasonably intuitive once you've worked out the general function of the three jog switches.

5.0 out of 5 stars imp-550 Class and Quality, 4 Dec 2003
I got my IMP 550 a week ago and all I can say is wow. No regrets. I downloaded the latest firmware upgrade, unpacked and wrote it on a rewriteable cd and put it in the player and it upgraded in a minute. Sounds terrific. Menu system took a couple of days to get used to but easy once you know how. This was my early Xmas present. I love it. It sounds better than my old Sony CD player and streets ahead of my Philips Expanium. Got all the features and I read on Iriver's site that the OGG VORBIS codec is due before New Year. Plays rewritables full of MP3s no problem. Just about everthing is customisable via the menu sytem. Graphic Equaliser etc etc etc Nice case too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great player, rubbish battery life, 11 Nov 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Iriver imp-550. Class and Quality, 16 Dec 2003
I've had my IMP-550 personal CD player for a couple of weeks now. It is by far the best CD player I've owned having had experience of good quality Sony and Philips players in the past. Its compact and light but a quality item. It comes with 2 x NiMH 1450mAH gumstick rechargeables and an auxiliary tube which holds 2 x AA batteries. The unit has a discharge / charge function and completed that operation in about 4 hours. There is also a smart, slim case which can be looped on your belt and gives the player good protection. The only control on the unit itself opens the lid and is not accessable when in the case.
I found the wired remote easy to use and with which everything on this player is customisable but its well worth while studying the manual to get the best out of it. The manual is well set out and easy to read with plenty pictures. I have burned a few CDRs, CDRWs full of MP3s and audio CDs on cheap media and the player has read and played them all without a hitch. I got myself some new headphones (Koss Porta Pro) as I prefer the open type and these have made the player sound even better than it did with the original Sennheiser in-ear.

4.0 out of 5 stars 75% Agrees to above comments, 26 Jan 2004
Well i must agree its better than most of the mp3 cd players out there although it took long enough to get to me :s I agree with the positive comments made in the other reviews but a major disappointing fact is that the battery life on does not last more then half the day (its say it should last 55hrs).
I hope that the update's will make up for the lack of battery life :) but i am pleased with my purchase *grudges* (hoping the item i got is not a 2nd hand one) hmmm makes me wonder if i should be online ever again. Maybe others wont have the problem that i have had with battery life.