Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 February 2004
I was buying compilations of Power Punk bands with pop real life lyrics & was watching white stripes, ash, sum 41 etc appearing on my Tv screen, the following week I saw madness & the undertones in the space of 1 week in dublin & wicklow in ireland
I realised that it was not nostalgia it was just damn good tunes
I bought get what you need blindly - I was left speechless
Guitar hooks & vocal harmonies are better than anything they have ever done before
I sent joyland & thrill me to my friend in Boston Cnc - The Undertones are the hottest "new band" on college radio in that part of the world
Respect
Rory
Dublin
on 7 October 2003
The Undertones, Derry's Finest, has just got better! The new album, Get What You Need, encapsulates the energy and vibrancy that the band oozed in the 80's. These guys quite simply, rock!
The new album, keeps with that unique Undertones sound, that reminds me of bands like the Ramones and the Clash.
Tracks such as "Trill me", "You Can't Say That" and "I need your love the way it used to be" are sure to be hits. I do hope that this is the beginning of another long list of great albums and singles.
Guys, don't ever stop!
on 6 October 2003
To their fans this band will always be special, and the famous fans are extensive: John Peel, James Nesbitt and Tim Wheeler from Ash. So the band return to releasing new material after a 20 year break.If their first album was critically acclaimed as on of the finest of it's generation, then this album is a reply to all those bands who ripped them off. The song writing is as clinically refreshing,and vibrant as ever, the music as catchy, yet, as relevent as any of the current crop of the Emo / New Wave revival bands.The album starts with the vinyl only released recent single "Thrill Me" follows through to an emotive "Touch".There are endless possibilities for more single releases in "Girl Like You" and "Oh Please", and if you hadn't already have bought this yet you'd be compelled by "Joyland". If you learn it is always more appeasing learning from a master, the Undertones are the masters. Step forward desciples, time for another lesson.
on 9 October 2003
I've waited 20 years for this and it has to be said it was well worth the wait. This album is brilliant from start to finish so don't waste time reading this just buy it! If you like 'The Undertones' and 'Hypnotised' you'll like this.
Also make sure you go and see them as live the Undertones remain one of the best live acts you'll ever see. 24 years older but as good as they were at the Marquee all those years ago. 5 Rockin Humdingers! Feargal who?
on 3 September 2003
The Undertones have returned with an album which is simply astounding. From the opening guitar explosion that is Thrill Me, right through this album, the Derry lads rock like no one else knows how. This is sure to be remembered as a classic album. Buy it now!
on 23 November 2003
Bought the album the day it came out, have not stopped listening t0 it since. Total quality.
on 17 October 2003
Quite simply put... an excellent album which does not somply pick up where they left off, this is a band that has matured and grown up without losing the ability to turn out a well crafted guitar based song. Don't be put off by the fact there is no Feargal Sharkey at the helm, Paul McCloone is a revelation.
on 2 November 2003
When I heard thrill me it reminded me of the feeling i had the first time I heard the Undertones Brilliant!!!!!!!!!! The best album of the year to date!
on 20 October 2003
The undertones have returned to the scene after 20 years and its a triumph. For about four years they have been playing to a crowd, and finally all the live training has produced THE album of 2003. Thirteen gems, 39 minutes, sheer genius. the album starts with Thrill Me, one of about 8 live favorites coming from the album. Thrill me is one of the best songs I have ever heard let alone the best of the Undertones. Then is followed with Everything but you and I need your love. Classics, with the new lead Paul McLoone showing that he can do offstage what he does on it, Thrills us. Oh Please is also included a song which stands out at every gig, again the undertones unique lyris shine throughout. All in all, this is a return to form, if you want the undertones: best of, then you'll get what you need on this cd
on 16 May 2016
bought this when it came out,and now im going to the gig i have it on all the time a great album..and a must for anyone who likes even one undertone song