5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Ingredient
I bought Permission to Land after reading an article about The Darkness in Classic Rock magazine. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and if the whole thing was a pisstake (it isn't). Conclusion: the album rocks and The Darkness are the most exciting band to appear on our talent-starved shores for ages.
The album contains 10 classic tracks with no fillers...
Published on 31 Oct 2003 by Mr. P. Hobson

3.0 out of 5 stars Get your hands off my anklewarmers....
Wow, the Darkness. A nice, short, filler-free ten track blast of the sounds of yesteryear, with nice modern production (is it just me or do all pre-1994 albums need one hell of a mid-range lift?) and the ghost Freddie Mercury on vocals.
Despite the gushing praise from certain magazines, the frequent bandying about of that ever-present phrase "Saviours of Rock", and...
Published on 3 Dec 2003 by drdrdrd

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars totally out of this world!!, 1 Aug 2003
nathan english (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
WOW! This is the album I, and probably everyone else who grew up with 90's rock n' roll (skid row, guns n' roses etc) has been waiting for. The Darkness are so unashamedly rock that it took me straight back to the glory days of long, permmed mullets, cutting guitar riffs, razor-sharp vocals and, well, spandex!
A couple of weaker tracks (tracks 7 and 8) do nothing to dent the beauty that is this first effort from the Lowestoft rockers, and the opening track, 'Black Shuck' will have you leaping around like a monkey with an iron up his backside-powerful, yet hair-raising! (I urge all to take a few minutes to look up on the legend of black shuck, and the village of blytheburgh, the track will make much more sense if you know what the hell justin is on about!!)
The album flows well, sounding more like a 'best of' than a debut, so full of confidence/arrogance are the poodle-rockers. I''ve not been this excited about any album for years. Its cheesy, it's tongue-in-cheek, but it rocks, and you'll be hooked the first time you hear it. A definite buy for any rock fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just-in Time!, 20 Dec 2003
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
Just as I was beginning to lose faith in modern rock, finding a lot of it either depressing or not worthy of being called music (just shouting), The Darkness came along. A lot of people call them for being so in-your-face and tongue in cheek, but its just not just fun. The music is brilliantly written and unlike a lot of albums, there isn't a single song I have to turn off. I've been listening to "I believe in a thing called love" a few times a week for the past year and I still love it as much as I first did. Although I hate to choose a favourite,"Love is Only a Feeling" is narrowly the best song, along with "Growing on me"
Just because The Darkness are not fitting the typical rock mould does not make them rubbish. They are inviting a lot of youngsters or non-rock fans to listen to what rock can offer.
It's taken them a long time and a lot of hard work (Justin wrote IKEA jingles to raise money to record the album before they were even signed) to get where they are and I hope they stay put for a long to come.
I can listen to the Darkness at any time and no matter how happy I am they can always make me feel even better.
Buy this album and sing laugh and be amazed by the best thing to happen to music in the past few years...The Darkness.
Permission to land is well and truly granted.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best rock albums in the last 25 years., 12 July 2003
JAKE LW (Anglesey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
Ok, the darkness, not much of a name. In fact you probably haven't heard of them at all. But for the past five years they have been working there asses off. It shows.. this album plays just like a 'best of' album. Not a single filler and thats a garuntee. Hailed as the new Queen, The Darkness are making the way in rock music. The guitar is insatiable- I defy anyone to listen to 'I believe in a thing called love' without playing air guitar for twenty four hours afterwards. Their third single 'Growing on me' is included and is amazing. Backing vocals, drum fills and riffs to die for. Thats not even mentioning the lyrics. Pure genius.
Justins singing takes a little getting used to but once you've broken yourself in, it fits so well with each song. The final song 'Holding my own' is almost a ballad. It sums up summer festivals and all that is good in the world about music and rock. Absolutely fantastic. Please, if you are a fan of any type of rock then buy this album. They deserve every piece of success they get and should be recognised for bringing back guitar. THANKYOU for making music boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, 13 Dec 2003
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
I have been waiting for a band like The Darkness for a very long time now! a band to bring back stadium rock to the charts, already this is one of the greatest british rock bands ever,
This album is for anyone who is sick of all the manufactured pop idol rubbish and nu-metal miserableness, this album totally rocks, fantastic guitars, fantastic drums, and amazing vocals (which i admit take some getting used to! how does he hit those notes lol!) and great songs.
This album is basically for anyone who appreciates great music and great musicians, songs like "growing on me "thing called love" "love is only a feeling" "love on the Rocks" you will be singing away to all of them, this album is totally brilliant in every way....long live The Darkness!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!!, 12 Dec 2003
Cookie_monster (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
When I first saw the Darkness I dismissed them, thinking them dated and uncool........ Then I heard them and fell in love!
I baught this album purely on the basis of I belive in a thing called love, and I am so glad I did!
"Black shuck" is a great song, the guitars are realy prominent, and the song is catchy and cool!
I also particually like "Love on the rocks with no ice", which shows the vocal ability of Justin!
The best song on the album is "Growing on me" which a lot of people have probably heard, its catchy and cool.
Obviously "I believe in a thing called love" is a great song, and if you like that song you will love this album.
If you want my advice get this album, its funny, funky and just realy cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class Old Fashioned Rock!!!!, 15 Nov 2003
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
Okay, so u've heard I Believe in a Thing called Love a thousand times and you want to totally destroy your TV/ Radio. But this is by far the worst track on the album. Even the slower songs cane that annoying solo. Standout tracks such as Givin Up and Stuck in a Rut are both short and nothing short from stunning.
Justin Hawkins voice is smack on and fits the music perfectly. These arnt your standard crap from the charts. The only slight turn off is the ridiculously unnecessary swearing. This is good old fashioned rock done better than it's ever been done before.
Believe the hype, long live The Darkness!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so good it's scary, 9 Sep 2003
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
The Darkness, unlike all the other new bands of the past year, started out without a press officer. No one tried to sell them as 'the next big thing'. The band even recorded this album two weeks before they had a record deal! The music comes first, As it should. And what a debut album this is. The Darkness have a sense of humour about their work, which is a breath of fresh air. The riffs are some of the best you will ever hear, great guitar solo's and amazing vocals. And the band are one of the tightest I have ever seen live. If you though the Datsun's were good, you ain't sen nothing yet. And they are British. Truly great British bands have been thin on the ground in the past few years, but the Darkness are truly great. And it's the songs that shine through here. There is not a bad track on this disc. From the opening riff of Black Shuck, even the most sedate among you will be tapping your feet to this band. Even the slower tunes like Love Is Only A Feeling are so catchy and addictive. The melody's will be going round in your head for days's after listening to this. So if you are yet to experience The Darkness, I cannot recommend this highly enough. Permission To Land. Granted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glam-rock is back!, 21 Dec 2003
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
Permission To Land is one of the best albums i have ever bought (along with the Best of Queen, and Dance of Death by Iron Maiden). Each and every song is packed full of brilliant riffs, some excellent solo's and some very high but great singing from Justin Hawkins. The album has already been at the no:1 spot, and has won many awards. I thought although i am not very good at reviewing anything, that it was worth me trying to tell people how bloody brilliant it is. If you havent got it, go out and buy it. And buy Iron Maiden's newest album too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and Wonderful, 21 July 2003
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
Men in pink cat suits, singing alto dont usually float my boat, but in this particular case I must say that I can put that to one side and enjoy the music on the album and appreciate it for what it is...rock music at its finest.
Amongst all the new generation rock music out there, The Darkness have taken us back to the 70s and have produced an incredible, almost Glam Rock, album that will have you wailing "Get your hands off of my woman" at the top of your voice down your local high street for a few weeks yet. There is a huge variety of music on the abum from the heavy stuff such as "Black Shuck" to upbeat ballads such as "I Belive in a Thing Called Love". You are bound to find atleast two or three songs on the album that you love, and the rest you will like a lot.
I dont predict that these guys will do amazingly in the singles charts, but as far as releasing albums and playing at festivals go, I hope that these guys are around for a long time yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock Rock (til you drop), 29 Sep 2003
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
Timing is everything in the music industry. Great British rock bands such as The Wildhearts, Dogs D'Amour and the Quireboys emerged at a ime when rock music wasn't in vogue and were destined never to make it above cult status.
Meanwhile, The Darkness have timed their emergence brilliantly. Just as heavy rock is the new shade of cool, along comes a fun photogenic UK band to capture the hearts of the music press and the nation's youngsters alike.
Nevertheless the album is very enjoyable with stand out sing along tracks being 'Growing on me', 'I believe in a thing called love', 'Love on the rocks with no ice' and 'Get your hands off my woman'. A very good start and hopefully there will be lots more to come in the years ahead.
I have a suspicion though that those falsetto vocals may wear thin after a while so maybe an album to bring out every now and again when the mood strikes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

Permission To Land
Permission To Land by The Darkness (Audio CD - 2003)