5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding first (?) effort
This is an amazing album. It is tough for an artist to make a commercially successful career in this genre, but if anyone deserves to do so, Juliet Kelly does.
Published on 30 July 2004 by anthony-edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars flat not flat
Although in tune, I found this album flat in expression. I don't know whether it was the recording or the singer's inability to bring any feeling to the words she was singing but I found this album joyless.
Published on 18 Mar. 2005 by OliviaMJ

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding first (?) effort, 30 July 2004
This review is from: Aphrodite's Child (Audio CD)
Every song on the album is a masterpiece, beautifully sung, supported by backing musicians of the highest calibre. Tony Kofi's sax playing is of particularly high quality, but in truth the four musicians and Juliet gel as a breathtaking, totally coherent unit.
This album can transport one in spirit to one of those exquisite small jazz clubs such as the 606 Club in Fulham; although not a live album, it has a totally live feel, full of energy and enthusiasm, spontaneity and improvisational skill.
The icing on the cake for an audiophile such as myself (Meridian CD player, ATC pre-amp and active loudspeakers) is that it is superbly recorded, one of the best technically recorded and engineered albums that I possess in fact. The double icing is, as others have mentioned, the version of Sade's Your Love Is King; it is hard to believe that anyone could improve on that masterpiece, but Juliet has done so.
This CD is being spun again and again in my player. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums I've heard this year!, 26 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Aphrodite's Child (Audio CD)
I hadn't come across Juliet Kelly before a friend lent me her CD and I wasn't really a jazz fan but her voice must be one of the most beautiful I've heard and her songs are really outstanding with wonderful, uplifting lyrics. It's just the thing to listen to after a hard day at work but although it's relaxing it also leaves me feeling really energised. I'm amazed that this is her debut album and can't wait for the next one. Because it's laid-back but at the same time, subtly funky, it's the kind of thing that can appeal to all ages and I've already bought a copy for my mother who's in her 40's as well as for my niece who's 14 and they both loved it. Buy it now - you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally joyful experience!, 13 May 2005
This review is from: Aphrodite's Child (Audio CD)
I'm wondering if the reviewer below could have been listening to the same album! The songs are full of positive lyrics and the music is uplifting and inspiring. Juliet's voice is moving and full of emotion. I suppose everyone has a different take on things but for me this album was a totally joyful experience. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous voice and beautiful songs, 31 July 2003
I. Kay (Oxford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aphrodite's Child (Audio CD)
From what I've read of the reviews, Juliette Kelly is a rising star. And listening to her debut album, she deserves all the praise - her voice is magical, her interpretation of the songs is always sensitive and inventive. A talented song-writer too - beautiful compositions, musically and lyrically. Thoroughly recommended - catch her on the way up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - a "must have" for any CD collection, 5 July 2003
This review is from: Aphrodite's Child (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Juliet Kelly when I happened to see one of her performances at the Pizza on the Park whilst on a visit to London but I was absolutely blown away! I was one of the people who queued to buy a CD during the intermission and it was one of the best purchases I ever made. With a voice as sensuous and smooth as chocolate dipped in honey and her beautiful songs with their laid-back grooves and soothing melodies, the CD has not left my player! It's the perfect choice for unwinding after a hard day at work. The lyrics are printed in the booklet and they are some of the most beautiful and uplifting lyrics I've ever heard. Her own songs are fantastic but my personal favourite is her version of Sade's "Your Love Is King". I love Sade and never thought anyone would be able to do one of her songs justice, but for me Juliet's version is even better!

3.0 out of 5 stars flat not flat, 18 Mar. 2005

Aphrodite's Child
Aphrodite's Child by Juliet Kelly (Audio CD - 2009)