4.0 out of 5 stars A legend in his own lifetime
Published on 16 Sep 2003 by Philippa Christmass

2.0 out of 5 stars my opinion
The record was not of the good quality. I might have expected something better than this sort of concert. I did not like it very much.
Published 11 months ago by Lubica Mockova,

4.0 out of 5 stars A legend in his own lifetime, 16 Sep 2003
Philippa Christmass (Perth, WA Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God Is In The House [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This is a no-frills concert DVD of the Bad Seeds' "And No More Shall We Part" tour. I had the privilege of seeing the Perth leg of this tour back in 2001, so the DVD brought back some great memories. I agree that the picture quality is not the sharpest I've ever seen, but it is by no means bad, and the sound quality is perfectly good. The set is split between the slower, ballady songs in the Bad Seeds repertoire (excellent renditions of "Into My Arms" and "Lime Tree Arbour") and faster, more manic songs like "Papa Won't Leave You, Henry" and the wondrous "Saint Huck". Nick is in fine voice, hovering over the front rows of the crowd like a sinister evangelist. The man is well into his forties and still has energy to burn. The DVD also has three promo clips, one of which ("As I Sat Sadly By Her Side") I'd never seen before, and it's very good. The studio documentary is quite interesting, and you get a glimpse ofNick Cave's dry wit, which was also evident in his comments for the video collection that came out after The Boatman's Call. I'd recommend this DVD to anyone who's a longtime and ardent fan of Nick Cave. For anyone who has seen Nick Cave live, it works as an excellent reminder of his power as a live performer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful all round product., 26 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: God Is In The House [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This DVD is absolutely outstanding.
If you have any interst in Nick Cave, I think this will either further convince you of his genius, or set you on the road to being a fan.
The quality of performance by the band in the featured concert is fabulous. The tracks have the perfect balance that showcases the full range of all that is wonderful about Nick Cave's work.
The promotional videos are very good, with wonderfully ridiculous cameos in '15 feet of Pure White Snow', I won't spoil it by saying who.
The 'fly-on-the-wall' syle documentary of the recording of the penultimate album gives a fascinating insight into the process and care required to produce a quality album. This is the jewel of the DVD, in my view.
The DVD is generally very well presented, even the menus, which I never generally notice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny..., 10 May 2008
Marcia (Northern England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God Is In The House [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
There is nothing wrong with the quality of the live part of this dvd whatsoever. The slightly hazy effect is part of the atmosphere of being at a concert - it doesn't in any way effect the quality or the enjoyment of seeing Mr Cave and the Bad seeds at their best.
He looks like a mad evangelist, only what Cave is saying is a million times more interesting and less corrupt!
The documentary is really interesting about the recording of 'No more shall we part' and the promo videos are great fun, showing that you can't always take Cave seriously.
Loved it all and thought it was worth every penny I paid for it :)

2.0 out of 5 stars my opinion, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: God Is In The House [DVD] [2009] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning snapshot of the coolest band on the planet, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: God Is In The House [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I have never been lucky enough to see Nick Cave and/or the Bad Seeds live, and this fabulous video only makes me realise all the more what I have missed out on - especially as we are unlikely to see this line-up of the Bad Seeds together again. Nick Cave's songs are so beautiful, and seeing him perform them live, even on video, is a very emotional experience. I well up, I think, just because the songs and the performances are so amazing! It's hard to imagine a cooler concert anywhere on the planet. There are 14 songs in the concert, all superb versions of great songs - several of my absolute favourites, though that is a matter of taste; No More Shall We Part and Boatman's Call are my favourite NC albums, and they are well represented here. To go from the sublime Into My Arms and God Is In The House to the rocking Papa Won't Leave You Henry, Saint Huck and the finale, a fab performance of The Curse of Millhaven, during which Nick introduces each member of the band by turn as part of the performance, is breathtaking - oh to have been there!

The DVD is great - apart from the concert, there are a few extras, all excellent - the recording session for No More Shall We Part and the official videos for three songs, including the utterly fabulous video for Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow. And you also have the option to choose individual songs from the concert, which is a nice touch.

A brilliant DVD, unmissable for fans of Nick and the Bad Seeds - great to watch, great to dance to, to watch Nick dance in his cool suit, to watch Warren Ellis leaping and crouching and doing his thing (there's a lovely bit where Nick mops the sweat from Warren's face - I love those guys!), great just to sit back to and absorb all that coolness. God, Nick is amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nick Cave "God is in the house" DVD, 1 Sep 2003
This review is from: God Is In The House [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I've bought the dvd today, and let me say until now i'm not that impressed!
But for a big fan of Nick Cave it's an all right investment.
What i don't like about the dvd is the picture quality. The concert is very dark and and not very sharp.
Also i miss several more of Nick Caves classics. Ex. Let love in, where the wild roses grow etc.
But the tracks that the concert includes are good songs. And if you see the dvd ocassionaly it might grow!
The documentary is quite interesting to. But this time the sound is very low and it's hard to hear what they are saying.
You don't see any interviews with the band members. It's more a camera that is following the recording process of the "no more shall we part" album!
The only reason why i think that this dvd has a right to come out, is that Nick Cave is a great performer and a very charismatic man!

God Is In The House [DVD] [2009]
God Is In The House [DVD] [2009] by Fabien Raymond (DVD - 2013)
Used & New from: 6.82