5.0 out of 5 stars "It's what you do with what you got that counts!"
Published on 13 Nov. 2008 by Kona

3.0 out of 5 stars It should have been better
'So Dear to my Heart' is a very slight and overly sentimental film, photographed in ravishing Technicolor by Winton Hoch and starring arguably Hollywood's best child actor, Bobby Driscoll.

Released in 1949, but set in a Disneyfied world of 1903, the story is about a lamb and a boy and that's about it. Comparisons could be made between it and 'The Yearling'...
Published on 8 Jan. 2012 by Philip G. Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's what you do with what you got that counts!", 13 Nov. 2008
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949] (DVD)
We see an old scrapbook as the narrator recalls that the summer of 1903 was a special one for him and is still dear to his heart. Then the story begins and we meet young Jerry who lives on the farm with his tough but loving Granny. A newborn black lamb has been rejected by its mother and Jerry convinces Granny to let him raise it, against her better judgment. And even though Danny the lamb is a lot of trouble, Jerry still dreams of taking Danny to the County Fair.

This Disney tale of childhood innocence is very simple; there are no tragedies on the road to a happy ending, just an amazingly cute little boy and his ornery lamb. As Jerry, Bobby Driscoll didn't have to do anything for me to fall in love with him (although he's a very good actor!); just one look at that beautiful face was enough to send me reaching for the tissues. Beulah Bondi is perfect as his crotchety Granny and a young Burl Ives add country charm and good singin' as his Uncle Hiram. The lamb really doesn't have much personality and doesn't do much (and in fact, looks suspiciously like a white lamb with a dye job), but that's okay; it's all about sweet nostalgia and looking back at a simpler, happier time.

There are several animated interludes where the animals in Jerry's scrapbook come to life and sing songs of wisdom and encouragement. It's all done very well and even if it's too unsophisticated for today's kids, their parents and grandparents will surely love this 1948 gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE DVD of So Dear To My Heart to get!, 2 May 2012
This review is from: So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949] (DVD)
Released a few years after Song of the South, this 1948 classic Disney feature film has a number of UK DVD exclusives. It is indeed available in the US on DVD if you're a member of the Disney Movie Club, but that DVD has no special features. In addition to the film being presented in it's original 1.33:1 aspect ratio and Dolby Digital 5.1, this UK DVD also includes an introduction by Walt Disney, Lost and Found: Rare Footage, Scrapbook and Film Facts. Looking to know which is the best DVD version of So Dear To My Heart to get?- this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable Disney, 14 Mar. 2010
P. LINDUP (Blackpool England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949] (DVD)
All that I can add to the other reviewers comments is that this is one of the very first films I ever saw. That would be on it's first release and It's taken 60 years to catch up with it! BUT the wait was worth it. 'delightful', 'heart-warming' are adjectives usually used about Disney and this film is no exception. Not as well known as other features by the studio, it nevertheless is a worthy addition to the family-film collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sweet, Heartwarming Film For The Entire Family!, 5 Nov. 2003
This review is from: So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949] (DVD)
Jerry is a boy growing up on a farm back in the times of "Grundy's General Store" and everyone getting excited when the train comes through town. One calm night, the now-born baby lambs came into the world. They were all healthy little things, but one had black wool instead of white. Jerry, seeing this pathetic little thing, had some sort of connection with it, and loved it from the start. However, Granny didn't aprove of this situation, for she knew that it wouldn't earn it's keep, and it would eventually become a pet. But Jerry was persistant, and he won. After getting some advice from the wise old owl, Danny, (that's what Jerry named the lamb), progressed into a fine sheep, who often got into mischief. Granny was stubborn about selling Danny, but... but... well, maybe you should see the movie for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars a video that will always be played in my home., 5 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
I love this film well done Disney it's a winner with me and my whole family. we may need another cassett on standby when the tape wears out. It's got good morals, clean wholesome fun, with a colourful illistration of how young children used to be. It's also a good educational tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars a gift, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949] (DVD)
I got this for my mum as a gift and she loves it. A tad of nostalgic fun for all and the grandkids get to enjoy it as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Disney's Classics this magical film is a joy for both young and old, 19 Feb. 2015
Patrick G "PJG" (Ardrosson, Ayrshire) - See all my reviews
One of Disney's Classics this magical film is a joy
for both young and old. A musical treat features the
"Best Song 1949" Lots of fun and adventure and music
I always owed it on Video now updated to DVD
Recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Dear To My Heart, 3 Jun. 2013
A lovely film showing children consequences to their actions and encouraging them to go for their dreams. Also that hard work and perseverance pays off. An old fashioned film with lovely countryside scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Dear To My Heart., 16 Jun. 2014
Mrs. Barbara J. Petersen (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949] (DVD)
This is a treasure to own wonderful classic movie, and so hard in the past to find, love it!, and very happy to own and continue to enjoy viewing!.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... watched it bout 8 or more yrs ago he loved it he is now 18 and when i put ..., 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949] (DVD)
my son watched it bout 8 or more yrs ago he loved it he is now 18 and when i put it on for my grandson 6, my son came in and remembered it all..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949]
So Dear to My Heart [DVD] [1949] by Harold D. Schuster (DVD - 2003)