1,217 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars nifty fifty honest review
Published on 23 April 2012 by Mrs.R

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the sting in the tail!
I bought 2 of these one for myself and one for my son, mine is being used on an EOS400D and is great, I would recommend the lens optics for low light use without the use of flash .... however when my son tried his lens on his EOS450D it jammed on the mount!! Apparently this happens to be a recognised problem .. as I found out when I contacted Canon about the problem. They...
Published on 9 July 2011 by Dragonz

5.0 out of 5 stars nifty fifty honest review, 23 April 2012
As a keen photography enthusiast i have decided to take a plunge and upgrade my old Sony a200 system (that i couldn't get on with) to a canon 7d - the first mistake i have made was buying expensive body and not having the funds to buy a decent lens. I love photographing people so i thouht a prime lens will be the best choice for me (this is a fixed focal lens ) 50mm lens can basically mimic the perspective seen by the human eye . i felt that this will be the best choice .Also prime lens made me more creative , as i hadn't had the opportunity to just zoom in if i wanted to.I had to move around and try viewing subject from different angles.

when the lens arrived i was surprised by the toy feel - its all made of plastic (besides optics) - it felt cheap like it will brake any minute ,there iwasnt any pouch with this lens .just an instruction manual .The lens is very light ( 130g ) and small (2.7" x 1.6"/68.2mm x 41.0mm - WxL ) - it is also a canon smallest lens on the market . before i have decided to review it i thought i will use it for a bit (i have used it for over a year ) .I was a bit doubtful if constant lens change could affect plastic lens mount in any way - but it didn't .On the lens itself there is only one switch AF/MF (Auto focus and manual focus ). Autofocus is driven by a micro motor - that is pretty fast. With a minimum focus distance of 1.5' lens can deliver some good images.

My first test shots look terrible , the lens flare that was on the images looked pretty bad and affected the overall quality . Lens flare is created when forming light enters the lens and subsequently hits the camera's digital sensor. I have decided then to buy lens hood and filter (to reduce glare) and try again. i would strongly recommend buying lens hood (ES-62 ) that includes the Hood adapter that threads onto the lens - the hood then attaches to the adapter by pinching two latches

With everything in place i decided to do a few test shots again on few different light situations and f settings (aperture size are often referred as a f settings .The aperture size determines the depth of field, or zone of sharp focus, that surrounds your subject the smaller the f i.e. f/1.8 - the shallower the depth of field is ). i love the way my images came out - sharp where i wanted them to be , and colours where fantastic .focus worked well on a 4 year old who run around the park like a tornado and because lens is very light i was able to take some decent shots handheld , without the discomfort, or a lense shake.
The strongest quality of this lens is sharpness - it produces fantastic pictures , i can honestly say that its sharpest at f/2.8 and beyond on f1.8 it performs also good but not as sharp if the camera is hand held .All depends what you want to shoot . i tend to shot people at f/5.6 (but this depends how much of the subject i want to stay sharp) and landscape at f/8 - as i find this my safe zone , and i know images will come out decent.

Autofocus is pretty fast when shooting moving objects ,it focuses quickly witch is handy when shooting kids (that just don't sit still ... ) or fast moving objects .
Lens its very good in limited light conditions ( in the house ) - but only if you shooting on wider aperture (smaller f number) .- most of portraits are shot in low light condition and all of them are shot using this lens

another good factor was the lens size and weight -it is very easy to carry around , despite being plastic it is also very robust ,and it can take some serious banging. Just imagine me trying to strap screaming 4 year old into a booster seat with camera still hanging on my neck - it usually bash straight into car paintwork (that did chip)

I have grown to love this lens in fact this is the lens and i use in 98% of my images as the lens is very portable and light , so its easier to take hand-held shots without minimal camera shake.
most of the new dlsr's on the market come with a standard kit lens either 18-55 or 17-85 . so if you are looking for a nice addition to your camera i can highly recommend buying this lens despite it plastic look , its a very nifty lens with fantastic price tag. , and as i mentioned earlier i would recommend purchasing lens hood and possibly a UV filter .

"please bare in mind that im Polish - and English is not my strongest point but i try my best to give as honest review based on my own experience , and i know my grammar is terrible . "

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price!!, 18 Nov. 2006
brainleek007 (Bracknell) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Most reviewers of this lens will talk about the lack of build quality and plasticky feel overall - and they are to be believed!!

However, don't let this put you off.

Yes this lens has a plastic mount, yes the focus ring is narrow and fiddly and yes, the autofocus motor is an older, noisier, slower type but do I care one bit - NO!!!

This lens an absolute gem. I thoroughly recommend it as a replacement for the 18-55mm kit lens (I bought it for my Canon 400D) and recommend it simply because it's a great lens in it's own right no matter what you already have. It's a nice focal length for portraits.

Where this lens scores highly is its 1.8 f-stop - very fast!!! Images are definitely soft at this setting but acceptable in a pinch. I reckon you'd need to go above A4 prints for it to be noticeable. You always have to remember that you may not have got the shot at all if you didn't have the f1.8 setting so a bit of softness is the trade-off! Noticeable improvement in shrapness is seen at f2.2 and it just gets better from there on in. Stopped down to around f4 - f11 the lens displays stunning levels of clarity and sharpness for the price (by all accounts rivalling L series pro lenses costing much, much more from what others have said- I can't personally verify this but the results I've had are truly excellent.) It also focuses down to 45 cm!

To sum up, this lens punches far above its weight. For £65 you will get a lens that gives you fantastic pictures typical of lenses costing many times the asking price. Go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my new camera sparkle, 14 April 2007
I've got a Canon 400D with the standard kit lens. It's OK but I was a little disappointed by the sharpness that it achieved. After quite a bit of reading up I'd heard so much good stuff about this relatively inexpensive lens that I decided to get one.

Most of my pictures are of my kids and many of them are indoors. This lens is great for portraits and because the aperture can be opened to 1.8 it gets enough light that flashless indoor pictures become feasible. The results are great. Nice, natural colours compared to the flash and as others have mentioned, the blurring of the distant background is very pleasing.

Having read that it had an old fashioned and noisy focus motor I was expecting something horrific which would cause people to look around if you were taking a picture in public. In reality it's marginally louder than the USM lenses and a little slower. We're talking 25% in my view. It's perfectly useable. In low light, manual focussing is preferable and is very easy. People also say the plastic housing is fragile. Well, if like me you've got a 400D with kit lens, it's not really any more plastic like than the either of those so don't be put off.

I've only had the lens one day and I've already taken some pictures which I'll treasure. Only downside of the lens is that at 50mm on a 1.6 ratio camera like the 400D it's a telephoto. In other words, you have to step back a bit to get everything in, so not ideal for indoor group shots. A 30mm lens would be better *but* the one I was looking at was three times more expensive and that's what swung it for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Prime Lens, 11 Oct. 2008
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM Lens (Camera)
This is the first prime lens I have bought and I didn't know whether to go for the f1.8 or this one. After much research I went for the f1.4, the build quality is much better, the focussing is improved and that extra stop counts for a lot.

The simplicity of this lens is such an eye opener, you have to work for your shots now instead of standing still and zooming in on everything. Your legs become your zoom and because of this you are much more likely to raise or lower your normal eye-level view of the world to find a more interesting angle on a subject.

This lens is purely about quality of image, there are no gimmicks, no image stablisation or anything you don't need, you have a focussing ring and an AF/MF switch. That's it.

Like every lens the sharpness is improved by stopping down from maximum, at f1.8 the 50mm is like a razor, even wide open at f1.4 the pictures are still pretty usable. But its the image, the colours are beautifully captured, the contrast is excellent, sharpness outstanding and the bokeh (out of focus areas) are so soft and creamy its like gazing into a pan of melted butter.

This is the lens you've been looking for, it frees you creatively, lets you make those images you could only dream about before. Sure, it takes a bit of work to get the most from this lens, but the effort will repaid tenfold when you see the results possible with this little cracker.

Sure, the f1.8 is a step in the right direction but the f1.4 is the grownup version, built to last and deliver the results time after time.

I am not exagerrating when I say that this lens has reinvigorated my photography.

If you own a Canon DSLR, you need this, its that simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but takes some getting used to!, 14 Jun. 2010
Lory (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM Lens (Camera)
This is my first prime lens and it took some getting used to at first, coming from a zoom but after two weeks of constant use, I feel I'm beginning to really get the best out of it and I've had some very pleasant surprises at just how sharp it can be. I took a photo of my son from about 5ft away and when I zoomed in after on the computer, even every single eyelash was razor sharp. AMAZING! Also the bokeh effect was beautiful!
But I have a Canon 550D, which also shoots high quality video and I have to admit, its not the easiest of lenses to manual focus with (and if you want any sort of professional look to your video, you'll need to shoot manual) The extreme shallow DOF means that a close subject only has to move very slightly and you're out of focus again but in saying that, when you get it right... WOW!

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the 50mm f1.8, 3 April 2006
By A Customer
I've tried all of Canon's 50mm lenses from the cheap, plasticky f1.8 to the hyper-expensive f1.0. This is the best compromise and allows decent shutter speeds in low light without flash. It ia sharp all the way to the edges (upto A3 at least) and doesn't seem to be affected by flare even without a lens shade. If all you have used is the zoom that came with the camera kit, I suggest you try this and see what a difference a decent prime (single focal length) lens makes. At nearly £300, however, it is quite an investment, but worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best money I've ever spent, 1 Aug. 2010
This lens is by far the best thing I've bought in the past year.

Having lost a 40D and 24-70mm lens on a trip to Europe in January, I replaced it with a 40D and Tamron 18-270mm lens which quickly broke and was returned to Amazon with no problems. With the money I received from the refund I was hoping to spend towards a 17-55mm lens before deciding that option was too farfetched for my budget. Being mainly a (bad) travel, food and pet photographer, I decided it was best to save my money until my skills were better honed. The many reviews I've read in magazines and websites regarding this lens were almost universally positive and so I decided to bite the bullet, ignore the complaints of cheap build quality and just go for it, worst comes to the worst, I can always rely on Amazon's top quality returns policy.

I've had the lens for about a week now and have taken it with me on a hike with my dog and an evening at a restaurant.

First thing's first. This lens does indeed feel like a bit of a cheap Chinese made toy. It doesn't bother me in the slightest though as I have been toting Holgas, Dianas and Seagull cameras around for years before finally accepting DSLRs. The casing is plastic, the autofocus is a little loud but who cares about any of that? You're not hurling it down cliffs or taking pictures of sleeping vampire bats, if you were you wouldn't be buying this lens in the first place. Put all that behind you and just snap away. You'll soon be pleasantly surprised at the great warm colours, the effortless bokeh and very sharp images this lens produces. I don't use photoshop (still a bit stuck in the old days of film cameras) but short of cropping, I don't see why you'd need to edit any pictures you take with this lens. The results are simply flawless.

Admittedly I was a bit taken aback the very first time the camera reached its autofocus peak and I heard a loud 'clunk' as the focus ring lunged forward to a sudden stop. I thought the whole thing would fall apart at that very moment and I'd be left sending emails to Amazon for a refund after 3 days. Thankfully that was not the case and I have been able to continue using the camera happily.

Hopefully this is not just a honeymoon phase. I've heard professionals using 5Ds say that this is still their go to lens for taking pictures of artifacts for editorials and since its so light, it's also the poor amateurs best friend when it comes to travelling. No regrets here, suits all my needs and very chuffed with my first prime lens. Hopefully it lasts for years but if it doesn't I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another, let's face it, it won't break the bank.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp with great colours, 18 Jun. 2007
I've had mine for 8 years and it delivers sharp pictures with great colours every time. If I could only own one lens, this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade from my 50mm 1.8 lens, 9 Feb. 2010
Barry Mccarthy "BMV" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM Lens (Camera)
I was looking for an upgrade to my 1.8 lens. Something that was as light and small as it was, but with better build quality and resolution. The 1.4 has really delivered for me. The extra bokeh at 1.4 is great and at f4 and beyond the sharpness is as good as anything I've seen. I like the physical size of the lens as it's light and neat on my 5dmk II. The build quality is far superior to the 1.8. The only downside to the lens is when using it in manual focus. The focussing ring seems to take 1.5 full turns to focus from near to far. What would be way more convenient would be maybe a quarter turn, like with my 16-35L lens. Besides that though, I would give this a 5 out of 5. Wish I had bought it earlier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon ef 50mmm f1/8 11 lens, 7 May 2012
I am a 64yr old gone back to college full time doing an HND photography course. I was brought up on Nikon/Canon film cameras. The first thing you notice about the lens is how light it is, especially compared to the "old" lenses. This of course is because it is made of plastic instead of the solid chunks of metal of the old lenses. This will not affect lens quality, only durability. You couldn't imagine (as an extreme example) a war photographer using one, or a press photographer, it just would not stand up to such hard wear and tear, constantly in and out of a camera bag. To the average reasonably carefull photographer it is good value for money, and if treated with care should last forever. This applies to most "cheaper" modern plastic lenses.
Most modern digital cameras come with a limited zoom lens as standard, which are always a compromise in lens image quality. If you want a high quality "standard" lens this is for you. Depth of field is important so a wide aperture is required, this gives you the quality even when "wide open" at f 1.8. Most lenses are "equal" at f8/f11, only when wide open the difference is significant. It is not often you will ever need an f1.4 lens so save yourself about £200 and buy the f1.8. Most amateurs buy the f1.4 for their ego. If you have money to burn ok. go ahead, it's a great lens too.

Canon EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM Lens