Format: Audio CD|Change

If you like soft soul tinged with jazz, you like George Benson. That's pretty much the rule! His most well known stuff is almost all here: "What's On Your Mind" is strangely omitted - but most of the rest of the Benson hits (and almost-hits) are here.

At his most commercial, George does what is best described as funky cabaret music - with a little touch of jazz. Sometimes he strays a little further into soul, and sometimes he veers off into soft jazz land, but mostly he treads the borders and succeeds in mixing these genres.

Now, this leads a lot of people to find his music bland and unexciting - and it's true there are aren't very many hard edges in this music. That's just fine with me, but your reaction may differ.

In this collection we have all of George's best known stuff "Gimme the Night" - his seminal soft-soul-funk chart hit from the late 1970s, his superb reading of "The Greatest Love of All" and stuff like "Never Give Up On a Good Thing" - a track made for mainstream radio play and for discos.

There aren't more than one or two tracks here that will in any way surprise you, our George could sleepwalk through tracks like "Masquerade" and "Feel Like Making Love". All very pleasant and undemanding: Stuff to listen to on a Friday evening after a tough week at work, or in the early hours when your party has run out of steam.

I like it a lot, but some people consider it elavator music. I think it's a better class of product than that, but you have a listen and see what you think.

Shame they didn't include "What's On Your Mind" though 8-) - I loved those brass riffs in that track...
on 1 July 2013
I have always been a fan of George Benson and the quality of music on this CD is absolutely breathtaking. This is the main reason I gave the CD such a high star rating. Benson has this very distinctive smooth and rich soulful voice that transcends all other singers' of his generation.

The CD has timeless classics like 'Turn Your Love Around' and 'The Greatest Love Of All' with many more; and this is why I would recommend this collection of songs to not only fans of George Benson. But I feel it will also appeal to fans of soul music in general, particularly of the era covering the late 1970's to early 1980's.
on 8 April 2010
Bought this CD as the last time I'd bought George Benson, was when vinyl was viable, but as with many things, time moves on and I wanted some of his music I could sit and read to and George's music is ideal..
He's so easy on the ear and his music basically never gets old for me.
One thing that made my decsion on this particular CD is that it has a couple of my all time favourite tracks on it, - 'In Your Eyes' and 'Kisses In The Moonlight' (The man has definitely got appeal with a capital 'A'!)
on 18 October 2011
Whatever 'positive' reviews that have been submitted previously, I heartily endorse. This is George at his creative peak, and I'm enjoying listening to it in the car, and basking in that warm glow, that his oh so smooth music always gives me. I feel young again, and the years just fall away.
on 16 March 2010
Nice songs, classics, sounds good -
Just as good as his 2010 love songs album!
Proper job