Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 September 2003
Not being familiar with The Raveonettes i took a chance on it and the moment i heard the first song a huge grin spread across my face and stayed there till well after the end. The mixture of happy sunny 60's melodies and grim JAMC type feedback works a treat. I found it a genuinely exciting and innovative record, very sensual and teasing - the lyrics are fun but a bit basic. A welcome antidote to the downbeat guitar music we are getting used to.
on 14 May 2004
I got this album by following links on Amazon from stuff I liked. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. This time it REALLY worked.
This is just the best album I've heard for ages. Comparisons with the Jesus and Mary Chain are useful if you remember who they were but whilst the Jesus and Mary Chain were good in theory, this lot are WONDERFUL in practice.
The idea is simple. Sixties style garage numbers coated with a frosting of feedback. But that doesn't really get it over. It's happy, it's dancy, it's weird and underground, it's fun, and it's all in B flat. The Velvet Underground meets the Cramps but without any rubbish tracks. Buy it because you will ENJOY it.
on 6 May 2006
Did anyone mention the Jesus and Mary Chain? Oh right...

I was surprised to read the negative reviews of this album. I came to this band from the Mark Radcliffe show, rather than 'whip it on', and I think the album really rocks. I can't fault it. True, the Raveonettes sound is somewhat 2-d- they have 2 songs- a fast one and a slow one, but to me this is rock n' roll at it's most primal. Sugar sweet tunes buried under ten tons of feedback and fuzz.

This is a great album to put on to fire you up. Just listen to the line 'I walk right up to you/ and you walk all over me' as it blasts from E to A, and tell me you ain't moved by it... it's pure adrenaline. A 'wall of sound' for the 21st century (!)
on 15 December 2003
In my collection of over 2,000 albums, I could count on my fingers the number that have more than four great tracks, but this is stuffed with them from start to finish. It's way poppier than "Whip It On" - which is a good thing, if you were wondering - and there's certainly a uniformity to the sound, but when your formula (early Jesus And Mary Chain melodies and noise, Shangri-Las harmonies, two-and-a-half minutes a song) is this good, why tinker with it? Sheer undiluted joy for your ears and soul.
on 10 January 2004
A cracking follow-up to 'Whip It On', 'Chain Gang...' has plenty of those classic pop references to keep all parties happy. Highlights include potential single of the year 'Great Love Sound' and the little over two minute feedback pop fest that is 'Noisy Summer'. Also, proof that less is more with a tidy running time of 33 mins.
on 3 August 2003
After the faltering promise of the mini lp this is the real thing. Thirteen tracks in 33 magic minutes. This lp more than fulfils the promise the Raveonettes have shown over the past year. Taking its influence from 40 years of rock n roll - from Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers and the Shangris las, through the Beatles and the Beach Boys, the Ramones and the Jesus and Mary Chain (and even Roxette) this is a fast and furious ride of echo drenched vocals and feedback guitar that recalls the best moments of the Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy. Highlights include the Great sound of love (the first single), Noisy summer (with brillaint hand claps and feedback), Dirty Eyes (with it's stunning beginning) and Little Animal (great lyrics!).
It's hard to imagine anyone being disappointed with this lp or the live experience of the Raveonettes
on 27 August 2003
Being such a strong supporter of their EP they release last year, I was eagerly awaiting the release of this album. I had heard some of their new stuff when I saw them live as well which I thought sounded superb, but I must admit I am immensely disappointed with this release. Rather than grabbing the bull by the horns and hitting on the same upbeat strong tempo punk/white noise/rock that made them so appealing, they have ventured into a Beach Boys versus Jesus and Mary Chain niche market.
The hard hitting. strong record I was expecting as certainly not materialised and I think the majority of the fan base collated with the first album will be left with a sour taste in their mouth and a dent in their pocket.
*** Like the Beach Boys crossed with The Jesus and Mary Chain ***
on 4 June 2004
Firstly I'd like to state that I wanted to unconditionally love this album, I wanted to be able to quote some noir-ish duo like this and say that they are my chosen antidote to kylie. And I almost can. The songs are inspired, truly, with thumping, well-timed effects and ricocheting, stylized 50s and 60s sounding rocky pop, or poppy rock. The singing, if oddly androgynous, works fantastically, and the ideas behind the lyrics are genius (the title- 'the chain gang of love' ought to give you some idea). I don't pretend to know anything about the B-minor/major flat they only apparently play in, or the restriction to three chords, but these, combined with the 3 minute time limit, give the whole album a sense of pared-down, bare bones style - the essence of rock'n'roll, in the true, 50s and 60s sense of the word. Which is all nice. So why, for god's sake, why the whistling, whining feedback? "feedback laden riffs" sound very impressive and raw, but actually translate to your perfectly good song drowning out in what sounds like a snowstorm. Imagine the beginning and end of the Beatles pisstake of the Soviet Union 'Back in the USSR' and you wouldn't be far off. I've come to dread the songs that suffer the most from this affliction of music fashion, and wish that someone would release a 'clean' version. Look good and original it may, but it sounds bloody awful. If the idea that Sune and Sharin have come up with is to create the essence of the music they love, to diverge from the over-engineered mediocrity of a lot of current music, then why did they add the feeback? It obscures the wit and beautiful simplicity of the original song, and seems to go exactly against their mission statement. Having completed my rant, I would like to point out that this album is still worth getting, the music itself is fantastic, returning to ideals that created the greats, with the tinge of gothic-retro-noir sound and coyly suggestive lyrics to keep you interested. But that audial smokescreen of feedback takes away two whole stars every time it squeezes its schrieking way into an otherwise charming song.
on 17 April 2015
excellent
on 31 August 2003
I really don't know what's going on in Sune's life since 'Whip It On', but he seems to be having a problem with repetition. Not plagarisation mind, as the album is a welcome dusting and reinvention of a classic era, bringing to mind the type of music Johnie's Black Rebel motorcycle gang would listen to.
No, the problem lies in virtually every track canabalising each other, constantly going over the same ground, in the same way. Maybe the change in record deal has made them churn it out, or that it's a tad soon after last years LP, but either way, it's a retread and a shame. I expected more.
If you're after a tales of deviancy, rebellion and darkness, tune in to last years LP Whip It On- fantastic!It's the Triumph Bonneville to Chain Gangs BSA Bantam.