5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone alive should hear this, 22 July 2003
John Cavanagh (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Alive Wants Answers (Audio CD)
I discovered Colleen through a debut 7" single release on the French Active Suspension label. Soon I was playing this disc repeatedly, caught up in a mesmerizing soundworld and - I don't use the word lightly - longing to hear more.
This album does exactly what I had hoped in extending the range of tones and textures without losing the purity of the tracks I already knew.
To listen to Everyone Alive Wants Answers is, I have found, to venture into an evocative realm, triggering long forgotten visual memory. Some of the titles suggest specific atmospheres... pre-dawn journeys through urban Paris and the subterreanea of the Metro, for example... but you don't need a programmatic guide to enjoy this music. The sweep of sound ranges from celeste and woodwind to intense fuzzy guitar, a young childs voice and exotic twangling instruments which hum about your ears. Some of this is redolent of 1960's analogue tape loop minimalists in the way that the sound conveys a warmth and intimacy, which is lacking in so much current and rather glacial electronic music.
An album I'm sure I'll be drawn back to for a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone alive wants to hear this!, 21 Dec 2003
This review is from: Everyone Alive Wants Answers (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful c.d. Very dreamy and evocative. I can tell it'll be on my late night playlist for the forseeable future! It was recommended to me on the basis that I enjoyed Kid Loco's 'A Grand Love Story' but if I was to compare the mood of Colleen with another c.d. I'd say it reminded me of Gabriel Yared's 'Betty Blue' soundtrack. An excellent piece of music, well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding first album, 11 July 2003
John Cavanagh (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyone Alive Wants Answers (Audio CD)
I discovered Colleen through a debut 7" single release on the French Active Suspension label. Soon I found myself playing this disc repeatedly, caught up in a mesmerizing soundworld and - I don't use the word lightly - longing to hear more.
This album does exactly what I'd hoped in extending the range of tones and textures without losing the purity of the tracks I knew.
To listen to Everyone Alive wants Answers is, I have found, to venture into an evocative realm, triggering long forgotten visual memory. Some of the titles suggest specific atmospheres... pre-dawn journeys through urban Paris and the subterreanea of the Metro, for example... but you don't need any programmatic guide to enjoy this music. The sweep of sound ranges from celeste, harp and woodwind to intense, fuzzy guitar, a young childs voice and exotic twangling instruments which hum about your ears.
Some of this is redolent of 1960's analogue tape-loop minimalists in the way that warmth and intimacy is captured, qualities often missing from much digitized and rather glacial electronic music. An album I'm sure I'll be drawn back to for a very long time.

Everyone Alive Wants Answers
Everyone Alive Wants Answers by Colleen (Audio CD - 2003)