5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
Let me just start by saying this is one of the best albums I've ever bought.
Published on 7 Mar 2004 by O. Cole

3.0 out of 5 stars OK?
A bit of a disappointment this one, and yet I still keep listening. Not a patch on 'opposite of december', more in the vein of 'tear from the red' and a bit more poppy. Still, there are some awesome riffs and wall of sound sections to get your teeth into. Buy as a completist, but if you're new to the band, try 'opposite'. It still rocks, bring on the new stuff!
Published on 25 Feb 2004 by mutlien

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 7 Mar 2004
O. Cole (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Come Before You (Audio CD)
Let me just start by saying this is one of the best albums I've ever bought.
I have to admit to never having heard of Poison the Well before I bought this, I bought it on the strength of a magazine review, and having heard just the opening track. But in no way was I disappointed. The main thing that makes this album so outstanding is the way it can switch from mild, melodic tunefulness to hardcore heaviness in a matter of seconds, always grabbing your attention. A prime example of this is track 4, 'Meeting Again For The First Time', which takes the classic quiet/loud dynamic and stretches it to the max. The cryptic lyrics add a hint of mystery also, working out what each song is about is part of the fun.
This album continues to get better everytime I listen to it, which is frequently. Track highlights include 'The Realist', 'Pleasant Bullet' and 'Apathy is a Cold Body'.
I'm not even entirely sure what I like about this so much. I suggest you buy it and find out for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where the hell did this come from?, 12 Mar 2011
A. C. Parsons (Haslemere, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Come Before You (Audio CD)
Where the hell did this come from?! Poison The Well were a good band steadily rising to the top of the modern hardcore table with their blend of breakdowns and emotive bellows (imagine a wounded bison and you sort of get the picture). Then they released this.

Despite some melodies on previous release Tear From The Red I don't think anyone could have foreseen just how far Jeff Moreira had come vocally when You Come Before You hit. The effortless transition from leonine roar to soaring melody along with some traditional hardcore gravelly throat showed a vocal dexterity hitherto hidden.

It wasn't just Moreira who raised his game with You Come Before You. The whole band, led by principal song writer and lead guitarist Ryan Primack, brought new variation to the music so that, whilst previous releases could feel a little one dimensional at times, You Come Before You was an aural feast. The whole sound is quite percussive but avoids relying on breakdowns to achieve this whilst accommodating some high end noodling and ambient sounds from the guitarists.

There is not one bad track on this album, quality song after quality song is delivered with slow burners like Apathy Is A Cold Body and hardcore ragers like Zombies Are Good For Your Health showcasing a, seemingly newfound, love of diversity that we've seen continued in later releases.

Picking up the modern hardcore rule book and tearing it to shreds before setting it on fire and using the ash for guidance, You Come Before You still stands out as a milestone in the continued evolution of hardcore over the 21st century

9.5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars A purely excellent album, 29 Aug 2008
J. Purse "joe-tele" (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Come Before You (Audio CD)
There's no need to justify opinions by how much hardcore or 'old' poison the well that one listens to. It doesn't matter that they haven't created an album like the opposite of december. And I don't care about this being a major label release etc because I don't think that constitutes 'selling out' per se. What this is, is a monumental album regardless of previous albums, the trappings of the hardcore genre or major label ties. The sheer weight of sound made by the guitars is incredible, the bass provides a huge backbone and the drumming is frankly superb. It's almost as if these songs weren't created by discernible instruments, instead there are just huge colossal waves of sound. The way each track blends to the next, often with a beautiful musical refrain, is seamless. And the vocals and screaming are so powerful without ever feeling convoluted. Like many good albums, the whole set just feels like a huge journey containing some of the most overwhelmingly beautiful music created in any genre. I'm not normally prone to hyperbole but this album has dug itself so deep into my consciousness that I love every last second of it. Despite opinions like this being considered blasphemy by overzealous fans, this is my favourite of all of poison the well's albums because to me it feels the most complete and musically moving. Despite loving so many different bands and kinds of music (one motto-doesn't matter what it is, if I like it, I like it, if I don't, I don't. I will try anything), this album would easily sit in my all time top 10. I'd find it very difficult to even choose a top 10 but rest assured this one is there. A stunning, powerful album regardless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Left with no words..., 13 July 2006
Jack A. D. Jennings (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Come Before You (Audio CD)
But still I listen to this album? I don't think i can stop. That's something that doesn't happen often with me, as I find myself constantly picking albums apart. 'Poison The Well' didn't seem bothered with that though, they just kept surprising me with every new track on this album.

Let's just say, like another reviewer below myself, that this is possibly the best album I have bought in a long time. The drumming is less frantic than 'December', but it fits every song, and sometimes that is more importing than showing off(dare I say it). All of the song writing on this album is so...effortless! There are no cringing spoken lyrics, as in some parts of 'December', just soaring emotional highs, deafening, tortured screams, and heartfelt situations and subject matter. This album flows from one track to another in order so well that there is no point of shuffle, because as one song ends, you will be in waiting for the next despite any change in mood, so fluently constructed as it is.

But then each song is different. Repetative 'You Come Before You' is not. At all. And let me finish by saying that the diversity of this album could encompass my entire life. Fits of rage and sheer depression are balenced with calm melodies, surprising humour (strange as that sounds), and sections that make me smile. As simple as that. Sometimes my eyes close, my stomach churns, my lips snarl, but I feel complete, as one chords sweeps inexoriably into the unsuspected next, and the truthful and honest lyrics make me look at myself in recognition as my throat clenches.

In short: Head Banging Mosh-fests, Almost acoustic, poetic vocals, and everything else a piece of music could encompass.

That might all sound a bit ridiculous but, it's...not. Just listen to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars superb screamcore, 28 Feb 2006
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: You Come Before You (Audio CD)
poison the well released this in 2003 and left a high standard to follow,their two previous offerings showed glimpses of class but this is where they showed their purpose and intent and this is a superb album mixed with emotion,screams,chorus' so catchy that your granmother would sing along and enough heavy guitars to scare a lion senseless.this is a landmark album in the genre if im honest,sheer class from beginning to end,if you want something better in your collection then get this ,a tremendous effort

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired & inspirational, 2 Dec 2005
This review is from: You Come Before You (Audio CD)
An astonishing album and one of the finest this reviewer has heard 'You come before You' is must-have for anyone who likes intense, brutal yet beautiful music. This record is artistic without sounding pompous or self-absorbed. Crushing, soothing, cathartic and entrancing, You Come Before You is all these things and more. Released in 2003 this, the best release from PTW so far is a huge evolution from the already rather good 'Tear from the red' (2002), in such a short space of time. The intensity and rage of their early more hardcore days has been channeled and is used to devastating effect, enhanced by more melodic, softer interludes (check out 'A)The view from here is B)A brick wall' which with its calm beginning lures the listener into a relaxing space full of warming sounds only to be given a harsh yet riveting wake-up call in the second part of the song.

A landmark release, with no weak tracks, the lead song/single is the incredibly moving 'Apathy is a cold body' in which the powerful music is matched by inspired & emotionally charged lyrics to devastating effect (and if you hear just one song, make it this one), which in truth is a hallmark of this record. 'The realist' 'Loved ones...' and 'For a bandaged iris' are other (personal) highlights but really the album benefits greatly from being listened to in its entirety and in its original running order as each track, like a chapter of an unputdownable page-turner novel flows perfectly into the next.

Poison The Well set rather than follow trends so it'll be very interesting to see what they do with their next album, but it'll probably be something very special. File under: essential.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK?, 25 Feb 2004
mutlien "NT" (Warrington, Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

4.0 out of 5 stars Somebody has been playing away from home....., 13 July 2003
This review is from: You Come Before You (Audio CD)
Well, Its not what id expected. After listening to the bludgeoning hardcore of the december album, which was pretty much embodied by the frenzied drumming and incredible double bass drum work, i was pretty dissappointed by "you come before you". This is an album that probably wouldnt offend my grandmother, earlier poison albums would safely bundle her out of her wheelchair with shock and terror. This is an album that some might even call tame. A perfect example of this would be the 'chanting' nursery rhyme-esque passages in ghostchant, i mean elton john would file for plaguerism if he held the rights to musical cheese. Similar upbeat passages of major chordshifting occur on a regular basis later, accompanied by straight up punk drumming. GAH!
Despite all this....shamefully....I find myself putting it on first thing almost every morning. This doesnt reduce me to tears however, i need not mourn the departure of my virility, the solid riffing and churning belligerance of 'loved ones' main verse and in the later tracks like 'apathy...' will properly have anybody remotely hardcore orientated hammering their faces through plasterboard new-estate walling in no time.
Give it time and youll appreciate that this album is poison the well's simplification roots album. NOT their first desparate, hurried release on a major label (atlantic). Or maybe it is, but thats still no excuse to not go out and buy it right now.

You Come Before You
You Come Before You by Poison the Well (Audio CD - 2003)