5.0 out of 5 stars The Bard of Avon!
Everyone remembers where they were when President Kennedy and John Lennon were assassinated, and I remember exactly where I was when the tragic death of Adge Cutler, on 3rd May 1974 was announced. This is a wonderful collection of some of Adge's performances with The Wurzels and I hope that more of them will be reissued on CD so that I can retire my LP collection!
Published on 26 Aug 2003 by Lindsay Seagrim-trinder

3.0 out of 5 stars good condition on reciept really funny cd
was brought for a friend who used to live in someset brought back good memories of the club for her and the darts teams she used to play for
Published on 28 Dec 2010 by trommans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bard of Avon!, 26 Aug 2003
Lindsay Seagrim-trinder "Bookworm" (South Wales) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Disc - Copy Controll... BAD!, 15 Dec 2006
A. Dring "music master" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
I have always been a big Wurzels fan since hearing 'Combined Harvester' & 'Cider Drinker' many years ago, just recently I decided to purchase all Wurzels works on CD, which is why I bought this disc, the disc is great, typical Worzels magic, but, I was very dissapointed to find this 'Copy Controlled' thing on the disc, I strongly object to this, on the grounds that I wish to keep all my music in my 'Private Library', i.e. Windows Media Player, on my laptop PC, I do not tell EMI what they can and can't do with the money I paid for this disc, this is a one off for me, I WILL NOT purchase any more discs with this 'copy controll', just out of principal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Music!, 19 Aug 2004
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
I've only been introduced to the Wurzels this year, I can't believe I nearly missed some very good stuff! This CD is a bit corny but in a very nice way. Perfect CD for a "cheer-me-up" music. The superbly dodgy lyrics are really good, mark of a genius! LOL! Can't wait to get more Wurzel music!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adge Cutler... music to an exiled Bristolian, 15 Oct 2003
DAVID CHALLIS (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say, except this has to be one of THE albums for any Wurzel fan. Recorded at the Webbington Country Club (sounds a bit posh eh!) with all the atmosphere and background sounds associated with a live recording, it's a classic. It's one of them albums you can play, while you're quaffing your favourite cider, be it Strongbow or summat similar, and sing along with if it takes your fancy. I gives it a 'leven out of ten! Well done EMI!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please!, 13 Dec 2003
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
How great is this album?! Out of all the Wurzels back catalogue this is the first I would have chosen for CD release. It's one of the best. Me and my brother are huge Wurzels fans but both prefer the Adge Cutler era to the modern Wurzels - before they started doing parodies after Adge died. Listen to this and you will realise what a great song writer Adge was. EMI please release more Wurzels on CD!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Adge Cutler!, 17 Sep 2009
F. Blades (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
Sadly only one of Adge Cutler & The Wurzels albums have made it onto CD, and this is it; on a more positive note - it is a cracker!

"Cutler of the West" is the third Adge Cutler & The Wurzels album, recorded live at the famous Webbington Country Club in Somerset in 1968. It is a superb record of a man (and his band) at the peak of his performance.

As usual, the album includes some of Adge's humour and banter between songs, to give listeners to the album the impression of being there at a live show. The album features more compositions by other writers but nonetheless includes some of Adge's classics, notably "Thee's Got'n Where Thee Cassn't Back'n, Hassn't?" and Adge's Rock 'n' Roll number "Up The Clump".

The addition of Tommy Banner (still with the band today) and Henry Davies to The Wurzels line-up adds a new dimension to the band's sound. This is especially seen on "In The Haymaking Time" where we have Tommy on accordion and some nice tinkley piano (which I suspect may have been add in the studio later!), while Henry's upright bass is bowed for the sad finale; while "A Pub With No Beer" sees Tommy on piano and Henry on violin.

All in all this is a great example of Scrumpy & Western music performed live in the heart of Somerset to a crowd who are obviously enjoying themselves almost as much as the band. They just don't make albums like this any more!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars vintage Cutler, 7 Oct 2007
Amazon Customer (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
Fantastic. If you're into the early true Wurzels, namely Adge then this is one for your collection. Have a lot of Wurzels Cd's and there were songs on here I'd not come across before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound of the west, 20 Mar 2010
A. Andow "Forest Dweller" (Devon GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
This album is an absolute classic! I heard it many years ago but could not afford to buy it. The songs are first rate, the band excellent, Adge is truly professional and for a live recording all those years ago the sound is superlative! If you like music, being entertained by wonderfully talented people and want to learn west country humour/ways get this disc.Get yourself a couple of gallons of scrump a couple of friends and put this cd on your gramophone to have a really nice time.My favourite tracks ? 4 & 5. fabulous,fabulous, FABULOUS!!!! Bargain !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It'll grow on me, most likely..., 8 May 2006
Amos Spitalhatch (Hamilton, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
For years I was a fan of the Wurzels on principle - you tend to miss the rounded West Country vowels when you live on the other side of the world. Enjoyed The Finest 'Arvest, too.

But according to the experts, this made me a bit of a Philistine: "You should have 'eard the Wurzels when Adge Cutler was the frontman - that's how they orter sound!" I was told.

So when I'd saved up enough pennies, I invested in a copy of Cutler of the West, and I suppose I'm still a bit of a Philistine.

It sounds all right - but it didn't make the impression that I'd been led to expect.

The first thing I noticed was a sticker on the case saying that the CD is Copy Controlled. That doesn't worry me, but it does sound a bit uncharitable.

The second thing was that because of the way the tracks are arranged, you can only really play them in the order they are laid out - otherwise you end up with a heap of introductions that go nowhere. So it's a bit like going back to the days of the LP.

The third thing was that three of the items listed as Drink Up Thy Zider ('Play on', 'Play off' etc) is simply an electronic fanfare and announcement. This effectively reduces the number of tracks to twelve, and we don't get to listen to Drink Up Thy Zider after all - shame really.

And the last thing was the inclusion of A Pub With No Beer - which simply doesn't sound right to me when transplanted from the Southern Hemisphere.

But no doubt it will grow on me - I orta have a few ziders first, p'raps...

5.0 out of 5 stars good old wurzels, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Cutler Of The West (Audio CD)
all the songs that were played when i was young nice to here them again and also keep them on disc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cutler Of The West
Cutler Of The West by Adge Cutler & The Wurzels (Audio CD - 2003)