4.0 out of 5 stars An artist in her own right
I have to admit that I bought this album mainly out of curiosity. Would the daughter of the King be able to cut it?
But it's not fair to judge Lisa Marie Presley against the legend of her father. Elvis was the King of Rock 'n' Roll. How could anyone live up to that kind of towering presence? And to her credit, Lisa Marie hasn't tried to compete with daddy.
She...
Published on 28 Jun. 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm Gonna Try and Be Honest Here But May Offend
Like most previous reviewers, I bought this out of curiousity. I am a big fan of the King and thought that I should buy this out of respect for Lisa-Marie, who has big shoes to fill and a lot at stake if she fails. 'Light's On' is a good gutsy pop song and deserved a charting and 'So Lovely' is subtly delivered, showing that she can operate on different levels, but the...
Published on 29 Oct. 2008 by Paul A. Kirwan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An artist in her own right, 28 Jun. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
She has produced an album that is full of lyrics about her life. She sings from the heart, in a deep, rocky, bluesy voice, about her lovers, her children and her father. Despite the lyrical content, this album doesn't play on her connection to Elvis. She doesn't cover any of his tracks and neither has she gone for the safe, middle ground of packaged pop, going instead for a rocky, guitar driven sound. 'To Whom It May Concern' is a heartfelt album, crafted by a woman who in her mid-thirties has started to come to terms with her life and who she is. You can almost her her saying, 'This is me, take it or leave it'.
I'd heard the single, 'Lights Out', and found that it grew on me and so has the album. It stands up reasonably well on first playing but it just gets better the more you play it. I think that Lisa Marie Presley could hold her own with the likes of Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morrissette. Like me, I think many people will buy Lisa Marie's album because she's Elvis' daughter but that's not why I play it again and again. She may have the advantage of the instant publicity that comes with the Presley name but with it comes a certain expectation, miles higher that most newcomers have to contend with. Forget who her dad is and give this album a try - you might be pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars What took you so long?, 17 Jun. 2003
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
In the wildest of Sheryl Crow's wildest dreams she writes and records an album half as good as To Whom It May Concern. The fact that this is Lisa Marie Presley's first album (and pretty much the first thing she's ever done of note other than being born to the most famous rock star in the history of rock stars and choosing as the second of her three husbands the second most famous rock star in the history of rock stars) makes this superbly consistent record all the more noteworthy. And consistency is the one thing missing in huge swathes of today's artists' repertoires. How many albums have you bought this year and thought "Half of it's excellent, the other half I could live without hearing again"? With To Whom It May Concern, Lisa Marie Presley has turned in 12 (it says 11 but there's the obligatory secret track which thankfully starts only a few seconds after the album's title track fades out) solidly written, well-played, sexily sung,far-from unspectacular songs. You really can't fault it. Had I not heard Lights Out on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross a few weeks ago and seen her interviewed, I probably wouldn't have even bothered giving this a listen, but I would have denied myself the chance to hear one of the best albums released this year so far (and yes, I have a list, it's third behind Aereogramme's Sleep and Release and Radiohead's Hail to the Thief). It's rock and it rocks where it needs to. There's bits of Patti Smith in there, perhaps a hint of Lucinda Williams but Presley has peformed a near miracle by releasing an album that's hardly groundbreaking in its sound or structure, but has its own identity. Considering who she is, you have to take your hat off to her (if you're not wearing a hat, find one, put it on and then take it off. It'll only take you a few seconds).
Stand out tracks: SOB, So Lovely, To Whom It May Concern ... almost unfair on the other nine to pick out favourites but I've got the hook lines of all three of these in my head at the moment and I've played two other albums since I took TWIMC out of my CD player. It really is that good. I'm suprising myself by saying this as it's not the sort of stuff I'd normally listen to but I'm left thinking why on earth it took her so long to decide what to do with her life (like me, she was born in 1968). Yes, she looks unnervingly like her father, but probably so do you...

4.0 out of 5 stars Lisa Marie Presley - It May Concern Many Other Artists, 15 May 2003
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
Ok...I got my CD months ago from a source that I have within the label. I have listened to the whole thing for about 2 months now. Other albums have come and gone in that time but there is something about these songs that just make me come back to the album. These are my thoughts.
S.O.B: Has to be the next single. Dark, twisted but funny...she hasn't the best voice in the world but I like it.
The Road Between: One of the little let downs on the album. Gets a bit dull after a while.
Lights Out: Great song that she wrote in minutes and has haunted her since. Again very dark but you can't help singing along.
Nobody Noticed It: Her tribute to the King. A good song that will fit anyone who has been bereaved.
Better Beware: Big Word overload here. The chorus saves this song from being dull...barely.
Important: Another dark song with humour. This song has really clung to my CD player with glue.
So Lovely: A wonderful almost ballad from Lisa Marie that talks about her children.
Sinking In: I adore this song. The chorus is just amazing and it is a humours song about a relationship gone wrong and why it did. Probably my favourite.
Indifferent: Dull as dish water. AVOID! I never listen to it. No interesting chorus.
Gone: Wonderfully dark lyrics again and if you look them up on the net you will see what I mean. Stunning chorus and a great voice in this one.
To Whom It May Concern: A good song with a strong message. Well...it is 2 songs really in one. The first is rock the second is almost a ballad. Deep thoughts will be induced from this.
Great album. Good voice. The fact she wrote them all is amazing. Lisa Marie would have made her daddy proud...but then it's not about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth listening to., 5 July 2004
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
I must say it was never going to be easy to bring out an album when you are the only progeny of the king of rock. But this is were Lisa Marie has succeeded. She has come out from behind her fathers shadow and shone like her own star. This album is superb. It is obvious that she has gone to great trouble to get things just right something she has achieved. Its a great album from start to finish no let downs. She has a strong voice which is easy on the ears. Lets hope this is the start of more great albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic album, 23 May 2003
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure quite what to expect when I heard that Lisa Presley was to release an album, I was presently suprised and rate the album highly.
Unlike alot of todays manufactured bands, Lisa hasn't let somebody write songs for her to sing, every song on the album is written or co-written by Lisa, they tell a story of her life through powerful lyrics.
From the heartbreaking ballad 'Nobody Noticed it' a tribute to her Father, to the rock sound of 'Sinking In' and 'To Whom It May Concern' Lisa sings with pasion and feeling throughout the album, sounding a little like Sheryl Crowe.
This is a great album and I would recomend it to all music lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 April 2003
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
I am a huge Elvis fan, but when I heard that his daughter was doing an album, my reaction was negative. The facts that she hasn't made one before now (after all, she is 35) and that she had never even expressed publicly a desire to do so suggested it was nothing more than a fleeting novelty.
I found out quickly I was very wrong. Looking on the web, I found she had received very good reviews for the only public singing she had done at the time ('nobody noticed it' at her father's tribute concert), and that she had in fact been edging towards making music for 10 years, and been recording this album for 4. As several tracks were released in the us, I heard samples online, and by the time the album came out, I was a fan of Lisa's.
The album is truly fantastic. Lisa has a deep, smoky voice and demonstrates impressive songwriting skills, having written or co-written all of the 12 tracks (including the hidden one). It is difficult to classify her style, although it would probably be called pop-rock. There is however, a strong blues influence, and even a hint of country.
The lyrics are honest and open; 'S.O.B.' is brutal self-analysis; 'Nobody Noticed It' and 'So Lovely' are tributes to her father and children respectively; the title track is a stand against the drugging of children; 'Indifferent' and 'Gone' rail against ex-lovers.
Standout tracks are the rocky 'S.O.B.', the haunting 'Nobody Noticed It', the emotive 'Sinking In', the stirring 'Indifferent' and the brilliant 'To Whom It May Concern'. 'So Lovely' is a fitting title for a beautiful song, which is slightly different to the other album tracks, but not in a bad way. 'Lights Out' is not the best on the album, but is still catchy and radio-friendly.
The only problem is that, at times, it is a bit over-produced and Lisa's voice gets buried in the mix.
I would recommend this to fans of rock, darker pop, or blues. Lisa might not be her father, but she's still a talented singer.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing first album, 5 April 2006
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
I bought this album out of curiosty as I'm a Michael Jackson fan. I was expecting this album to be rubbish full of meaningless songs and I felt this was just an excuse for Lisa Marie to gain some lime light. BOY was I wrong.
I love every single song on this album and she's a very talented song writer, the lyrics are meaningful to her which I'm sure many people can relate to the lyrics in her songs.
My Favourites are, "S.O.B", "Indifferent", "Important", "Nobody Noticed it" and " Excuse me" (The bonus track)
The songs are this album are not Poppy. Which I like, I was expecting this album to be a re-make of Britney Spears, I'm glad it wasn't.
These songs reflect her emotions and things that have happened in her life. This album is extremly under-rated and If you don't own it, your missing out. You'll be suprised by this album.
One of my top ten albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first album from daughter of the KING, 20 Aug. 2003
Mr. Scott G. Mcdonald "skegmcd" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of Elvis. When I heard Lisa Marie was releasing an album I wasn't sure what to expect. Trust me, it's good. This album did really well stateside yet hardly got noticed over here. First things first, her style is very different to that of her father. Yet if you judge her on her own merrits without comparing her to Elvis, you're sure to like this album. A worthy member of the Presley music tree and well worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lisa Marie,It's Time To Step Out From The Shadows, 11 May 2003
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
I am a BIG fan of Elvis, have been since I was a kid. I always wondered what his daughter Lisa Marie would sound like!
When I heard Lights Out and I saw the video I got shivers down my spine, she looks so much like her dad! Her voice is rocky and husky, but not unlike her dads. The words in the song, about her family in Memphis and that's where they're buried and gone, hits home the fact that, Ok she's Elvis' Kid and he died a long time ago, a ROCK LEGEND, but this is HER father whether he was famous or not and this is her way to let the world see how much hurt she has felt at loosing almost all her family.
Give her a chance, it's a great album!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lisa Marie Presley has some things to get off her chest..., 8 April 2003
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: To Whom It May Concern (Audio CD)
The most impressive aspect of Lisa Marie Presley's debut album, "To Whom It May Concern," is that her lyrics are blatantly confessional on a scale that makes those of Courtney Love look like Kurt Cobain's widow had taken a vow of silence. From the death of her father when she was 9 years old ("I wish that I had spent just a little more time with you" to her tabloid marriages to Michael Jackson ("You're in some blind elation, a kind of delusion") to Nicholas Cage ("When I turned my back you cut my throat") Lisa Marie lays it out there for the world to see. Such emotional honesty certainly earns our respect, especially in this age of carefully packaged pop princesses and the album's cover shot makes it perfectly clear that nobody ever has to ask Lisa Marie the question, "who's your daddy?"
Unfortunately "To Whom It May Concern" is often as over produced as a Brittney Spears album (remember her?). This is someone surprising given that the album is produced by the likes of Eric Rosse (Tori Amos), Andrew Slatter (Fiona Apple) and Glen Ballard (Alanis Morissette), all of whom have worked with artists who refrain from hiding the vocals behind overwhelming layers of songs. The opening track, "S.O.B." is a perfect example: it starts off with Presley's semi-sultry alto vocals, and then then the band cranks it up big time. You might have to go back and listen to the song again to see if Lisa Marie said what you think she said in that song (yeah, she did). You find the same pattern on "The Road Between," "Important," etc., and you have to conclude that these guys must have thought they were covering up limitations of her voice. That might be a concern when you are doing nothing but singing songs written by someone else (classic example, Paula Abdul), but not when they are your songs. Besides, on "Nobody Noticed It" they dub some nice harmonies that showcase her vocal strengths, albeit buried beneath several layers of sound.
Then again, sometimes the fault is in the music itself. The first single off of this album, "Lights Out," has a perky tune that sounds AM-radio friendly, and it is all about her family "dead and gone" back in Memphis, buried "in the damn back lawn." The problem is that the blistering lyrics are totally mismatched by the aforementioned perky music. Besides, it is not one of the better songs on the album; in fact, it is my least favorite track at this point. Most of the songs are set at angry girl rock tempo, the exception that proves the rule being "So Lovely," a slow song with a slow guitar dancing around the theme from "Midnight Cowboy." The bottom line is that, on balance, Lisa Marie comes out ahead of the game on "To Whom It May Concern," an album which may well be more accessible to those who do not accept the musical divinity of her father. She also has the advantage of not having come up with such a great first album that she has nowhere to go but down, a constant fate in the music business. The big question is now that she has exorcised her demons in song, where does she go from here? The tabloids can dissect Michael Jackson and report Elvis sightings for the rest of her life, but Lisa Marie is going to have to move on. This album opens her to new possibilities for doing so.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

To Whom It May Concern
To Whom It May Concern by Lisa Marie Presley (Audio CD - 2003)