on 14 December 2004
Now in my mid-20s, my enduring fondness for the Mr Men characters that I so loved as a boy made this an essential purchase and even if the quality of the animation is crude by modern standards, the wonderful, ageless stories continue to delight.
All 28 episodes of the original TV series are here, featuring the stories of many of the best-loved characters, most notably Messrs Happy, Bump, Forgetful, Greedy, Sneeze, Snow, Nosey and Tickle, but each story stands up delightfully in its own right.
Arthur Lowe (aka Captain Maiwairing from Dad's Army) acts as narrator and it's hard to imagine anyone else in the world doing a better job. Whether voicing the words of the characters themselves, or just progressing the stories, he brings warmth and humour to each story.
As I mentioned before, the animation is far from spectacular, but with stories this good it doesn't matter a jot. It would have been nice to see all of Hargreaves' classic book characters included (the likes of Messrs Busy, Slow, Rush and several more are absent) and occasionally the sound quality, on my DVD at least, was less than perfect, but this is still a very small price to pay for such enjoyable ditties.
Even if your children are unfamiliar with the Mr Men, these stories should still delight them. One of the best tenners you can spend!
on 12 September 2006
Ahhh the good old days. I remember this from when I was a youngster, so consequently bought it as a Christmas present for my 4 y/o daughter last year. She still watches it and that was nearly a year ago.

Well worth every penny.
on 17 February 2004
I first saw these in 1974 on a black & white telly and loved them as a kid. They are even better in colour!
You can watch all the episodes one after another or pick your favourites from the menu. This is probably the best kids TV series ever made and at a tenner even Mr Mean probably considers it a bargain!
Kids will watch it over and over and over again...so you may want to buy it on VHS and hope the tape wears out before you go insane.
Don't worry about the sound quality I found it ok.
So go on buy it for the kids (allegedly) and enjoy it yourself. You'd have to be Mr Silly not to!
VINE VOICEon 5 January 2004
Having found how much my daughter (3) liked many of the other programmes from when I was young, I bought this DVD to add to her burgeoning collection. In terms of the content, the DVD didn't dis-appoint. The stories and characters are as simple and fun as I remember, with each tale a gentle moral based around a character trait. The images are colourful and straightforward (occasionally reminiscent of Roobarb) and my daughter was hooked - not least because the stories are verbatim readings of the books she was used to.
Luckily the BBC stopped making them before the later books where Roger Hargreaves' characters became ever more contrived, the stories ever more formulaic and the whole tone seemed to dis-appear. And finally, of course, Arthur Lowe's understated narration is so perfect (and so familiar), it's hard to imagine anyone else doing the Mr Men - a far cry from the self-aware, pseudo-ironic fare we're becoming more and more used to.
However, what lets the whole thing down is the technical quality. For some reason distributors and manufacturers seem to think children don't deserve the same quality of product as grown-ups and are easy prey for higher margins. So it is that we sit down (again) to mediocre picture quality and rubbish sound (the Mr Sneeze episode sounds not unlike when I was a kid trying to tape the radio onto a handheld tape-recorder). I don't expect a full digital re-mastering, but some attempt to clean up the sound and stop the picture shaking wouldn't go amiss. No extras either, although 28 episodes is plenty to keep anyone amused!
So in summary, a great trip down memory lane that will entertain today's children with warm (and short!) stories - just a shame they get ripped off by producers again.
on 12 February 2009
All there is to say is that this is the perfect kids gift. My 3yr old daughter simply loves watching them over and over again. Each story is short, so perfect for watching pre-bedtime, for example. The narration is fantastic, and the animation simple but timeless, and in my opinion a perfect complement to the books to bring them to life for the child. Not all the Mr Men stories are on these DVD's, but most of the best ones are!Highly recommended, and great fun (for the parents too !)
on 25 May 2009
I am still amazed that something so simple (and with questionable graphics quality) can keep a 5 and 4 yr old entertained for so long - but it does, and they happily watch it over and over..... So on that basis, it gets a full 5 star rating.
on 30 July 2012
The Mr Men stories from the 1970s are as well told as I expected. The animation is simple but effective, and Arthur Lowe's narration is lovely. The "Hand drawn" look matches the original books.

The downsides, well the menu navigation is a bit clunky, and unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be a "Play all" option. The original film/video doesn't look to have survived well and both the sound and picture is often a bit murky. But until someone spends money on a digital restoration, this is the best we can get.

There are versions available with The Little Miss series thrown in, so you might want to check those out before deciding which to purchase.
on 3 January 2011
These short cartoons are priceless.

I had bought a few of the books to read to my daughter, but the cartoons are the best way to get to know the Mr Men. The reason is simple: Arthur Lowe, the gentleman who voices all the characters in each of the 28 episodes. He is, without any doubt, a comic genius - he brings each character to life in a different way, and generates a pathos that makes them not only laugh-out-loud funny, but unexpectedly touching. Seriously, his Mr Forgetful broke my heart!

My young daughter loves these, and of all the children's dvds we have on the shelf, the Mr Men is the one I most enjoy watching.

Personal faves: Mr Forgetful, Mr Small, Mr Dizzy, Mr Nonsense.
on 1 August 2010
I bought this for my toddler who loves the Mr. Men. I'm not too keen on the new Mr. Men series and don't like that they've changed some of the characters. The animation is old, but it's still fun.
on 23 October 2007
I introduced my 2 3/4 year-old daughter to a few of the books recently and they quickly became firm favourites. Living in Norway, I'm always keen to introduce her to a bit of British culture and the memory of Arthur Lowe's narration alone was irresistible.

The DVD was no disappointment. To me or her. Yes, there are "quality" issues, by today's standards, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for her. The only problem is which episode to watch. Highly, highly recommended, at least, by this household.