on 7 March 2004
After spending loads of money on computers and Hi-fi equipment this surge protector seemed the best way to protect my equipment against electricity spikes.
Having already purchased a previous surge protector from Belkin and found it excellent, I felt confident buying the newly designed - and priced, surgemaster.
I purchased two 8-way surgemasters, one with av sockets and one without. The sockets are slightly wider which is very handy for transformers and normal plugs alike. The unit seems well put together and very thoughtfully laid out. I prefer the two rows of four plugs design rather than a long run of eight. My only gripe is that the plugs do not seem to fit perfectly into the sockets and are easily dislodged - something which did not occur on the previous design.
Otherwise, with bold statements of lifetime guarantee and £175,000 warranty you can't go wrong. This is the best way to protect your valuable electrical equipment against surges - although not very common in London.
on 23 January 2005
All I wanted was a surge protector. What I got was something that I could plug two comupters and all my telephone lines into. It saved alot of plug space and keeps me feeling safe from any thunder frying my motherboard again.
The only problem I have with it is the delicate switch exposed on the top of the board. When pressed, the circuit is disconnected and everythng plugged into the thing stops working. Very frustrating when something just pushes against it. Even a wire will flip it.
However, this downside dosnt compare to how helpful this product was and id advise it to everyone.
on 27 February 2004
This thing is great, 8 Sockets, indication Lights, phone/Modem protection and even a cable tidy thing! But the on/off switch is just so easy to flick by accident. One day I cicked it unknowingly and my whole room turned off. Wasn't happy. So now I've taped it down so it won't happen again.
Overall, technically fabulous but needs a different power switch.
on 13 October 2010
Don't buy it!

I bought a previous version of this product from Belkin. My decision to buy their product was based largely on the insurance backed guarantee - I liked the idea that the product would protect my equipment, but that if it failed, I could claim on Belkin's insurance so I was covered either way.

A few months ago, my house was struck by lightening and, to my disappointment, the surge protector failed to protect my equipment. I was lucky though in that most of my equipment survived with only about £100 worth damaged. I duly filed my claim with Belkin. Their response has been underwhelming to say the least.

The paperwork involved in making a claim is complex. You have to file a claim with them listing all the serial numbers of the affected equipment and producing original receipts (how many of us have those for every piece of equipment?). After some weeks, they finally agreed to pay up and sent me another form to fill in my bank details, which I duly returned.

And that's where the problems started! I've not heard anything from them since! I've tried to call, but I get put through to their customer support number - which affords me the luxury of listening to classical music for as long as I like (I've tried it many times and so far I've pushed it to 35 minutes at a sitting before losing the will to live). Calling head office gets me through to a receptionist who passes me back to the phone queue but refuses to pass me on to anyone senior. I've also been told someone senior will ring me back - but that didn't happen.

All I want is for the claim to actually be paid. In the meantime, the time I've spent trying to get them to pay up has probably cost me more than the value of the claim.

So if you're thinking of buying a belkin surge protector with a nice insurance backed guarantee - think again!
55 comments|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2008
I have had a couple of Belkin units, including this one, fail to protect my equipment. Once a PC just died one day, and I found burn marks on the motherboard PSU connector. The other time with this exact unit there was a lightning strike nearby, and the computer PSU was fried along with my monitor and HiFi amplifier.

Both times I tried to claim from Belkin on their warranty. They make it very hard, and you have to send them the damaged equipment. In both cases they at first refused to pay up, but eventually I got some compensation out of them. Nothing like the value of the items though, only their "second hand" value which for Belkin means car boot sale prices.

I now have a Tripp-Lite and touch wood have no had any problems.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2003
Having recently purchased a new computer with a Broadband connection, I wanted to ensure my equipment was protected and decided to purchase the 6 Socket SurgeMaster from Belkin. The unit itself is very well designed with colour coded LED's and two of the six sockets with a swivel function. This is extremely useful when plugging in bulky modem power supplies. The unit has sockets for your modem connection and therefore provides even more security from spikes or power surges. With an automatic £100,000 equipment protection warranty, you can be safe in the knowledge that your equipment is safe. Belkin is the market leader for these products and Amazon had one of the lowest prices all round. Highly recommended product.
on 5 December 2011
Belkin SurgeMaster, 8-Way, Tel/Fax/Modem Protection, 4m Cable

Conor is correct. The on/off switch is way too sensitive. The one I have has switched off all on it's own in the middle of working on the PC. This happens too regularly. Not a good switch and really makes the product unsuitable for the intended application. Cannot recommend this. If a switch has to be taped to stay closed there is something wrong with the design.
Belkin Surgemaster 8
Okay so this is just a 8-way extension bar. But it has a number of features that makes it a quality purchase. Firstly it's surge protected with multiple guarantees, the kit has got a lifetime warranty. You can prtect your modem/phone line, a couple of the sockets actually swivel (so you can use transformers without blocking a socket)... and so on.
It works a treat and this price, it's a great way of de-cluttering the mess of wires under your study desk or behind you TV.
on 9 April 2012
I had this unit for a 4 years and the switch would not always toggle on/off. This ended up blowing my monitor and the switch has now failed . I have requested a replacement under there life time warrenty . I will post once the out come as I am claiming the cost of my expensive monitor and replacement extension .
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 August 2009
I had one of these for a few months and then it stopped working. I'll be generous and assume it detected a surge and cut the power to protect my equipment. Which is great.

Unfortunately, there's no reset switch on this model. The fuse in the plug is fine, but there's no way to get at the fuse inside the unit because it's fitted with anti-tamper screws that can be tightened but not removed. So the whole thing has to be replaced.

Naturally, I'm happy that it did the job of safeguarding my equipment. But next time, I'll look for a model that can be reset after a power surge.