5.0 out of 5 stars Low glare, good filters.
I've bought a few of these in various sizes (although none from Amazon - nothing against Amazon, their price is keen, I just happened to buy them somewhere else).

Published on 25 Dec 2010 by CarlOz

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling flare
I have been using this filter for many months with a Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G Lens. I get appalling flare every time I have a bright light in front of me. I even submitted an example to Cambridge in Colour and the consensus was I was using too cheap a filter (that is, those who weren't against using a filter at all). I'm giving up on it and buying a Nikon Nc filter.
Published 10 months ago by S. J. H. Cromie

5.0 out of 5 stars Low glare, good filters., 25 Dec 2010
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)

The main reason I get UV filters is as lens protectors. The main reason I buy these Hoya HMC ones is that they introduce relatively little glare and distortion. I haven't been tempted by the more expensive "pro" ones, although they're lower-profile, which can't be bad (but they're quite a lot pricier).

Despite the assurances of certain reviewers, and many high-street retailers, these genuinely are very much better than the usual kind of cheap filters which retailers often try to tell you are "the same". In particular, the amount of light reflected by the Hoya HMC coating is negligible compared with a typical store's-own-brand. (There might be exceptions, but I've yet to see one.) To compare quickly in a shop, hold each flat in front of you and tilt it around looking for reflections of lights etc. An effect like a mirror isn't good. With these Hoya HMC ones, you'll see only dim green images of bright lights.

These are by no means the only decent filter on the market, but they're much better than most, by an obvious margin. They're really not that expensive when you consider that they're likely to be influencing every shot you take with a lens you probably paid a small fortune for. Optically, the best filter is none at all, but lenses are rather expensive to replace.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must in any expensive lens, 27 Aug 2009
A customer (Asturias) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
This Hoya filter absorbs ultraviolet rays without effecting visible light balance. UV light causes hazing and a blue hue in outdoor photographs. The filter can also be used as a permanent lens protector for the outer part of the lens . It fits very well .

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 13 July 2011
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
I'm no professional photographer but -

The quality of this filter seems great for the price, I did not see any difference in image quality or any colouring of the pictures. I even did a test of the same shot (on a tripod) with and without the filter and they were (for all I could tell visually) exactly the same. For a beginner to photography I would recommend this highly, save the money of a higher filter and but some other gear with it to get you started!

The screw fitting could be a bit higher quality, it feels a bit rough screwing it in, but it works and has been on and off several times with no problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling flare, 26 Sep 2013
S. J. H. Cromie (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
I wanted a good quality but keen priced filter that would protect my Nikon lens but still enable me to take crystal clear photos.
This bit of kit certainly seems to do the job. And it is a good price. I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars UV Filter, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
Purchased this filter to protect my new Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens, it is well built and seems to do exactly what it said it would.

4.0 out of 5 stars NIce filter by reputable make, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
Ordered this for my canon 50mm f1.8 lens. Fits nice and secure and takes the lens cap no problems. Double threaded so will take another filter should the need arise. All in all a very nice, clear filter. Only looses one star for the hefty price tag, but I suppose you're paying for the reputable brand name there.

5.0 out of 5 stars quick delivery, 21 July 2012
Mr. P. A. Cole (wales u.k) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
i'm really impressed, ordered the filter 2 day's ago and it arrived today ( saturday ) 2 day's early, not opened it yet waiting on dmc-fz150 to be delivered. using the filter as a len's protecter so i cannot make a comment on it's affectivness, but i bought the same type for my dmc-fz18 when bought new -- it do's what it say's on the box, i'm happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lens saver, 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
Having got caught in the torrential rain in Leicester on Thursday 28th June, this halped me still get snaps, but without trashing my new lens - top job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent optics and value., 8 Jun 2012
Graham Wade (Bordon, Hamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter (Accessory)
The main reason I buy UV filters is as lens protectors as it's much cheaper to replace the filter than the lens.

I have bought varions cheap makes in the past but they are nowhere near as good as these Hoya HMC ones. They introduce relatively little glare and distortion. I have been tempted by "pro" versions, but they're are so much more expensive and for the lens I am using it with not worth the extra money.

In an ideal world would not need a filter but if I have to use one it will be one of these. Off to find one for my other lens now.

Hoya 52mm HMC Haze UV Screw-in Filter