5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality At A Good Price
I bought this Hoya filter for 23 including delivery and I'm glad to say it was worth every penny.

The quality is almost as good as using my B+W circular polarising filter.

The filter can be rotated in the lense mount, provides very good performance and for under 30, there's no reason not to invest in one.
Published on 19 Aug 2008 by Mr. G. Korossy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad
Published on 5 Mar 2011 by Mr. R. G. Battersby

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality At A Good Price, 19 Aug 2008
Mr. G. Korossy (UK) - See all my reviews

The quality is almost as good as using my B+W circular polarising filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super colour saturation and reduced reflection, 29 Nov 2008
brainleek007 (Bracknell) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Polarising filters are magical things. They can reduce reflections from non metallic surfaces with merely a twist of the ring!

Another use of polarising filters is to enhance colour saturation. Have you ever seen a photograph with the deepest blue sky you've ever seen and wondered how the photographer did it? Have you ever looked at your own pale blue, wishy washy skies and thought how on earth do I do this!?!? Look no further.

By turning the ring on a circular polariser you can adjust the amount of the effect it will create. They work best when the lens is pointed at 90 degrees to the sun, in other words the sun is on your left or right, not in front or behind. They are useful wherever you want deeper colour saturation too such as on foliage. A polariser can cut out the reflection of the white sky on glossy leaves and foliage for landscape shots.

Anyway, this Hoya polariser is well made and does all of the above. It's not the slimmest so you may need to look elsewhere for a special slim version if you're using on a super wide angle lens to avoid cropping image corners.

For everyone else this is a versatile and handy addition to your kit at a very good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not for ultra-wide angle, 2 Dec 2009
K. D. Simkin "Kieran Simkin" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased one of these for my Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens - I know these filters to be fairly slim and figured it would be enough, unfortunately it's not quite slim enough and causes significant vingetting at 10mm. However this quickly disappears when you move past about 12mm so it's still just about usable on this lens; particularly if you're planning on cropping your images into letterbox aspect ratio anyway.

For the best results on an ultra-wide angle; you need a slimmer filter than this. I have now replaced mine with an Hoya 77mm PRO1 Digital Circular PL Filter - significantly more expensive, but much better at 10mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, works well!, 12 Mar 2012
Length:: 0:21 Mins

This is a great polarizing filter. I have tried out budget filters in the past which didn't work very well but this Hoya polarizing filter works perfectly. I use it on my Panasonic sd900, see the video for an example of it's use on some water in a birdbath.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant addition to your kit bag, 1 Feb 2012
After seeing what a polarising filter can do I decided I wanted one and hoya always seem to make good quality kit. Hoya's range of polarisers includes a number of different filters from this standard and relatively cheap one to the expensive pro1, s-HMC, DMC ...ect. I haven't tested the more expensive versions but as far as I can tell, the "polarising-ness" (technical term) is fairly similar for all of them. Where they differ is in the amount of light they let through, the thickness of the filter itself, and the number of special coatings on the glass. These special coatings are supposed to make the filters easier to clean and improve the colour of the photo.
I considered the more expensive options but decided that I couldn't justify spending 40+ on what is essentially 2 pieces of glass. In the end I am happy with my decision but there are a few down sides. The thickness of the filter (not including the screw section) is about 8mm which means that when I try to stack this filter on top of my hoya UV filter, I get some vignetting below a focal length of about 30mm. (this is using my Canon EF-S 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens). However, it's not too much trouble to unscrew my uv filter each time I use the polariser. With just the polariser on the lens there is no vignetting even at 18mm (on a 550D so the 35mm equivalent is 29mm).
Polarisers, by their nature block out light, and this one blocks out a lot! I've found that to get the same brightness (when keeping aperture & ISO constant)I need to leave the shutter open for 3.2 times as long as I do without the filter. This pretty much rules out using this filter for fast moving subjects but that's not really an issue for me as I will only want to use this for shooting landscapes. On the plus side, this filter acts like an ND filter and polariser all in one which is good for shooting scenes with water. I think the more expensive options allow more light through so if you need to shoot something fast without a tripod then I suggest you get something a bit more expensive.

This polariser does everything I need it to do without noticeably affecting image quality. As you can see from the before and after photos I uploaded above, this filter eliminates reflections from non metallic surfaces which has the added bonus of making plants appear greener because of reduced reflections. The main thing that polarisers do is to solve the problem you get when shooting something against a bright sky. Without it, you have to choose between having a detailed subject but a washed out sky, or a deep blue sky but with a dark subject. The polariser enables you to get a deep blue sky whilst keeping the detail of the subject.

All polarisers have their limits though. I found I got the most effect when shooting with the sun behind me and slightly to one side. When shooting anywhere towards the sun there was hardly any effect at all. Also, as you can see in the photo of the tree, when shooting at wide angles, the polarising effect on the sky is uneven.

In summary, if you want a polarising filter, there's little reason not to try this one. It's a reasonable price and you've got nothing to lose. If you try it and don't like it then you can just use it as an ND filter and purchase one of the more expensive polarising filters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 5 Mar 2011
Mr. R. G. Battersby "Richard" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Hoya are a good brand and this item is consistent with their other lines. It's of reasonable build quality and produces a nice polarising effect. I find the outer ring spins round a little too easily. Also, as someone else has mentioned, it's not great with the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens since at 10mm it produces substantial vignetting. I too have upgraded after for this reason alone. It was great while I was starting out but you get what you pay for. It also, over time, seemed to develop tiny cracks in the glass, mainly around the edges which didn't produce any noticeable effect but they were still there. This must have been from the cutting process and rattling around in my bag since I never dropped it.

So, worth it if you're starting out and/or don't really anticipate your photography taking you anywhere. For those that do I recommend shelling out for a professional filter from the start. They last forever. In this case I would recommend the Hoya 77mm HD Digital PL-CIR Filter as they're thin, indestructable and very nice to work with. Any of the HD Digital range are fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and not over-priced, 10 Dec 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have used Hoya filters as a preferred brand for many years and found them to be effective and relatively inexpensive. I have owned and used many different cameras in my time including some regarded as the best available of their time as were the accompanying lenses. I did not hesitate to choose Hoya filters than and I don't now.

I have never experienced any distortion, unwanted artefacts or any other problems during their use and this is no different.

I did once allow myself to be persuaded to purchase a couple of digital filters which together cost as much as another lens but could see no visible difference between them and any standard filter. Consequently, I now stick to these.

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 8 Aug 2009
T. B. Granescu (UK) - See all my reviews
Hoya still remains on of the producers of good filters. And by the way, the only filter which I consider worth using is the polarizer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 4 Sep 2009
K. Rose (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Another good product from Hoya, the polarising filter fits nicely onto any 67mm thread. Whereas many polarising filters there is some noticeable loss of light, the loss from this filter is one of the lowest ive seen. Rotating the filter on the lens is smooth and easy and creates the higher contrast and correction of reflections needed from a polariser. Careful when using wide angles as it is twice as long as most other filters of course. Professional or amateur, this filter does the job well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value CPL, 21 Mar 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I use Hoya CPL filters on my Canon lenses. This is a budget filter when compared to the premium Hoya HD CPL filter which is considerably more expensive, which I reserve for my L or prime lenses.
Yet it still is a great performer.

In the digital era, the CPL is one of those filters that really make a huge difference in image quality. The filter removes glare and reflections, a feature that cannot be corrected using photoshop or any other software.

When used for landscape photos, the difference is radical. Colours are so much deeper, resulting in stunning crisp images. The deep blue skies and rich colours really look professional.

Hoya produces great quality filters, and this one is no exception.

Highly recommmended for those seeking breathtaking photos at a budget price

Hoya 49mm Circular Polarizing Filter