Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 September 2003
On first listening, it hits you right away that this album is going to appeal to Blues and R.& B. devotees. All tracks are of that variety and very well performed by Norah. In my opinion, it does not have the all-round appeal of "Come Away With Me", but as I am a big Blues fan, this will do for me.
I love New York City but don't understand the need to include it twice on what is already a low track album. Nonetheless, Norah gives a good rendition of both versions.
I would imagine the aim on this album is to establish Norah's undoubted Blues credentials. These was not so obviously present on "Come Away With Me" which I think is fabulous. Her aim on this CD is to draw on the big Blues and R. & B. audience that is out there all over the world.
Well-worth adding to any serious devotee's Blues/R & B collection
Jenny, UK
on 27 September 2003
For anyone who enjoyed Come Away With Me this album is likely to please. It is a little more bluesy/R & B but the tracks are superbly interpreted by Norah and the Peter Malick Group. The guitar work is exceptionally good for those of us who like the good old bluesy twangy guitar sound.
The title track, New York City, appears twice on the album. This is a very good track interpreted wonderfully well by Norah but I didn't notice a great deal of difference between the two versions. In my opinion, the two outstanding tracks are All Your Love and Bob Dylan's Heart of Mine. Excellent excellent tracks. I've replayed these two over and over and they still sound great.
I hope to hear more and more of Norah's versatile voice in the future. A star in the making.
Norah Jones, stunningly beautiful, blues infused voice, and Peter Malick and his group have made a beautiful CD. It remains a mystery to me why "New York City" written by Peter and sung by Norah has not become a big hit. The glorious words sung by Norah are enchanting, and for everyone who has had a love affair with New York, you must hear this. Every time I visit New York I will remember this tune.
Peter Malick spent a lot of time in New York City listening to music, and he especially loved a little club called The Living Room. Here he found Norah Jones singing "Since I Fell For You", and he instantly knew that he had found a singer of his tunes. Norah agreed to sing some his music, and they played a couple of gigs in and around New York City. They ended up in a club on a lake in New Hampshire without much enthusiasm from the audience, but they entertained themselves, and decided to make a CD.
This CD is delicious. I found it by looking for Norah Jones new CD. I am so glad, I found it. Sam Maghett's "All Your Love" and "Heart of Mine" by Bob Dylan are stand-outs. Couldn't be better if sung by the maestros themselves. The favorite is , of course, "New York City".
"We were full of the stuff that every dream rested
As if floating on a lumpy pillow sky
Caught up in the whole illusion
That dreams never pass us by."
This is a little known CD and a real find. For you Norah Jones fans, a must buy. Peter Malick is a joy. A fabulous CD that is full of love found and love lost. prisrob
on 21 January 2005
Let me begin by correcting the comments of Eugene Holley Jr.who is refering to another Peter Malick release which does indeed feature other singers, but it does not apply to the CD in question here which is all Norah Jones.This CD may be only 6 tracks and 26 minutes long (not counting a radio edit repeated track),but it's worth is it's quality,not it's quantity.You will not hear more lovely, bluesy singing anywhere,by anyone! Peter Malick's guitar work is sublime-both delicate yet pronounced,very atmospheric and perfectly suited to enrich Norah's glorious vocals.If any track is particularly close to what is on Norah's 2 CDs it is the first one "New York City", but so good is it, and all the first 5 tracks,that I feel her solo CDs are left in the shade. Certainly this is material and a style that I'd far rather hear her sing, as it suits her so. The uptempo duet on track 6 rather spoils the blues mood but I loved all the rest. It will be a crying shame if Norah and Peter don't get together to do a full length blues CD!
on 2 June 2005
I bought this cd after finding out about it on a Norah fan site, and i knew it was going to be good. But what i didn't expect was the marked difference in her voice compared to Come away with me and Feels like home. On Deceptively yours,All your love,and rockin' duet with Peter Malick 'Things you don't have to do" her voice enters a completly different realm to that of her previous stuff. The sticker on the front has a quote from the Boston Herald which states "Anyone who's ever wanted to hear Jones raise her temperature from simmer to sizzle will welcome New York City."
Could NOT agree more. Only thing wrong- too short:) but i'm not complaining. It's well worth a listen!!!
on 21 May 2005
Anyone who is a fan of Norah Jones, Katie Melluah, Amy Winehouse and the like, will find themselves instantly lost in this beautiful prequel to 'Come Away with Me'. Recorded before she hit the big time, New York City has a little more innocence and simplicity about it than some of Norah's later work. You won't be disappointed if you are looking for something to relax to, or daydream to. Norah's voice is beautiful as ever and she is well accompanied.
An excellent purchase! (and a great CD to have on in the background during a romantic evening..)
on 4 August 2006
The songs on the New York City cd are not as beautiful as those on Come Away With Me but are just as interesting to listen to.Norah Jones's voice is more upbeat and less laid-back on the New York City cd.This is in keeping with what Peter Malik says on the cover,namely,that the song New York City was put onto the cd after Norah's second attempt at it - she must have been concentrating like mad!
on 17 February 2007
It is very rare to hear an album these days without thinking .... if only that track had not been included .... why put that song on this kind of album ... etc etc. This album has it all .... beautifully performed with a quiet passion and endlessly "listenable" .... another collaboration please!
on 21 September 2007
I much prefer Norah Jones on this even though 'Come way with me' is great. I wish she would do more jazz than country. This album is superb and deserves to be known more. 'New York City' is my favourite track.
on 5 September 2003
I loved this to bits it is spell bounding. Wish it could be soooooooooooo much longer. Such a lovely car CD to chillout to. I loved COMEAWAY WITH ME her other CD and this is just as good. Can not wait for the next CD out. I have never written a review for a CD even tho I have a huge CD collection before but I didn't want anyone else to miss out on such a wonderful one. I will be buying this album as xmas presents. BUY THIS ONE