5.0 out of 5 stars Further down the line
Published on 9 April 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Ablum but overshadowed by first two releases
Believe me, i'm a massive Train fan so three stars seems harsh, but when compared to the first two albums, My Private Nation seems decidedly 'average'.
I feel that anyone who isn't already a fan would be better off spending their money on either the self-titled first album (best album so far IMHO) or the brilliant Drops of Jupiter.
My Private Nation does have...
Published on 2 Oct 2003 by Daniel Andrew

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Further down the line, 9 April 2005
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
Having bought the last Train CD, Drops of Jupiter after hearing only the first track (She's On Fire), it soon became one of my favourite albums, one I return to time after time and I am never disappointed. So could they do it again? In a word 'Yes'! My Private Nation takes all that's best about Train and brings it to another platform. Thoughful keyboards, driving riffs and infectious lyrics - it's all here. Discard the bonus track and you are taken on a journey that involves chasing aeroplanes, a man who can get you rich for just $45, girls who don't shave their legs and women 'cooler than soda cans sitting on ice'. Hey - don't read any more. Whether you have heard Train before or whether you haven't, buy this and improve your CD collection immediately!!

5.0 out of 5 stars For Goodness Sake, Get on board!, 7 April 2005
A. Williams (Blaenau Gwent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Train album and my favourite album of all time. I didn't think anything could beat 'Drops of Jupiter' but listening to this CD still takes my breath away. It's a lot more pop/rock than 'Drops' and 'Train' which is probably why many Train fans don't like it but the whole album is just up a gear from everything else they've done. The rhymes on 'All American Girl' and 'Saves The Day' are both amazing and amusing e.g. "Patrick Swazye" with "Crazy" - completely inspired. The intros are enough to make your spine ripple. Every song on the album is great and best of all, I find that I can listen to the album no matter what my mood or weather, although I recommend sunny Autumn days, especially when listening to "Your Every Color" and "Lincoln Avenue". "Saves The Day" is not only my favourite Train song, but my favourite song full stop. There's no higher praise I can give this album. What are you waiting for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Train - SUPERB! - GO BUY NOW, 17 Aug 2003
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album that will keep you humming and dancing all day. The only let down is the end of the album that seems to teeter off the edge. The bonus track that is included is not needed and to me is seen as a waste more than a bonus. But with catchy songs that you won't forget this album deserves to be in your collection! Go Buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, moving and a delight to hear, 1 May 2008
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
The first thing I will say about this album is, do not automatically compare it to 'Drops of Jupiter'. It is not just a follow-up, where the band follow the same formula to try and re-create the success of their previous album, it is an entirely new sound, that should be judged on its own. And, as that, I think it's a great success. It's not one of those albums that you fall in love with straight away, but then can fall out of love with just as quickly, it's more of a grower. I found that the more I listened to it the more I appreciated the beauty of the music and the poetry of the lyrics. It's an absolutely fantastic album.

Must listen to tracks on this album are 'Lincoln Avenue' which, dispite what I said before, does perhaps draw comparisons with 'Drops of Jupiter', being heavy with the piano and violins); 'Save the Day', which lyrically I find rather genius and makes me smile everytime I hear i; and 'I'm About to Come Alive'. I find Pat Monahan's voice in that song absolutely haunting and heartbreaking, a really emotion song to listen to. Near enough all the other tracks (accepting, in my opinion, one) and consistently good. The title track perhaps took a little longer to grown on me than any of the others -- I wasn't at all impressed with it to start with, but now I think it's on par with the rest of the album.

The one reason I tell anyone to listen to Train is the lyrics. Musically, they're fantastic anyway, but if you're one who loves interesting lyrics then this band, and definitely this particular album, are for you. I could quote lyrics from all the songs on the album here that I find amazing, not just in their poetry, but also in their truth, for lack of a better way of putting it. As far as I can tell, Train are a rarity in that their lyrics can really strike home as something you can understand. There are lyrics for every situation and everyday on this album --it's really a soundtrack for life.

I thought about giving this album only four stars instead of five, because of one track that I tend to skip: Get to Me, but decided in the end, it's still worthy of five. I'm not sure what it is about it, other than the fact that, very much unlike all their other songs that I've heard, its lyrics are a bit cliched, but it just hasn't clicked with me. The rest of the album, however, is a delight, and a joy to listen to time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Drops of Jupiter but much more consistent!, 11 Aug 2003
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
Recommend this album highly. It does not have a D of J song on it although All American Girl and Save the Day come close, it is much more consistent than D of J as an album. Lyrically it is very clever and musically varies from up tempo tracks through to acoustical ballads. Favourites include Private Nation, Save the Day, All American Girl, I am about to come alive, Counting Airplanes. The style of the lead singer and the band remind me o f Paul McCartney and Wings at some points and a up to date Supertramp. Buy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Great, 28 July 2003
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
Train are a real, honest, hard working rock group. Their first release defined them as a rootsy-edgy rock band, before the album Drops of Jupiter catapulted them onto the world stage. Now Train have returned with a cd that is different to both previous records. Whilst certainly more poppy, My Private Nation undoubtedly has it's rock n' roll moments, but possibly lacks the guitar jams and edgier moments that made their first Self- Titled album so appealing. These are seriously talented musicians, but you just feel that altough this is a great album, it doesn't give them the right platform to demonstrate just how good they are. Nevertheless, they can write some truly moving ballads (the final two tracks in particular) and every song is sung with heart-felt gusto. Lead singer Pat Monahan has a voice which one can't tire of hearing, and he certainly puts his everything into each of these extremely infectious songs. All in all, a really great album, if a little over-produced. But definately buy it, along with their first 2 releases if you don't have them already; and why not get the DVD too?!? These guys rock live!

5.0 out of 5 stars This album saves the day..., 17 Jun 2003
Chantal Mulders (Vierlingsbeek, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
Being a true Train fan ever since I heard Drops Of Jupiter I couldn't wait for this album to come and got it as soon as possible. The starting track (also the single) is really good, perfect opener. It then really starts to rock with All American Girl with a tune that stays in your head all day. And then... it really blew me away: When I Look To The Sky. AMAZING!! I put this song on repeat many times and I still feel the same as when I heard it for the first time: that stomach feeling only good songs give you.
Fourth is Save The Day: rocky, catchy, cool lyrics. The title track My Private Nation rocks, even more than All American Girl. I really like the lyrics to Get To Me. The opening lines: An airplanes faster than a cadillac/ and a whole lot smoother than a camel's back/ but I don't care how you get to me/ just get to me. We continue with Counting Airplanes and I'm starting to repeat myself here: a great song. Following Rita with mandolin is a treat and Your Every Color is not my favourite song, but I cannot say that it's bad, absolutely not. Next one: Lincoln Avenue is truly brilliant again. The final track I'm About To Come Alive is along the lines of When I Look To The Sky and to me the best song after that one.
Pat's voice is enchanting as ever and the music is Train all over again. For Train fans a MUST HAVE and for all the other people or I should say not-yet-Train-fans, as well.
And keep an eye on the singles since the extra track are worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not the first 2 albums...but it's damned good, 15 July 2004
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
MAybe i give away 5* to easily, but for me when i read a review, a 5 means it's DEFINATELY worth having, as opposed to comparing it to something else.
The self titled debut album and then the incredible Drops Of Jupiter CD's were fantastic with some truly awe inspiring tracks (mississippi? hopeless? Meet Virginia?) but with My Private Nation, Train aren't trying to repeat an exercise. They are trying to develop and grow and i think they achieve this.
In It's own rite, this is a cracking CD from 'Calling All Angels' to 'I'm About To Come Alive'. I really don't know what upset fans were looking for with this album because it's Train through and through, they haven't sold out to make a hit single, and they haven't produced a poor cd. "When I Look To The Sky" "My Private Nation" "Counting Airplanes" "I'm About To COme ALive" are all brilliant works and should please any Train fan, as i see this album as a definate step forward.
There are the catchy foot tapping songs, the slow thought provoking songs, and the mish-mash of the two that are just simply enjoyable whilst still being good tracks.
There isn't a weak track on this album, it just isn't Drops Of Jupiter. The slowness and vocally tortured style of "mississippi" and "let it roll" for example are replaced by a more fuller song, which aids in the consistency of this album.
It's a must have for train fans, it's not a bad place to start for new listeners (especially since it is easy to be biased if u only heard the single "drops of Jupiter") and it should belong in any real music fans collection regardless of how varied or narrow minded it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Album, 27 Mar 2004
Chris g (Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
Well....Unlike all the D of J fans (take off your blinkers), I happen to think this album is the best so far!
There isnt a bad track here, and I cant stop playing it!
Yes, sure D of J was hard to follow but this album more than fills a need, excellent vocals, powerful yet somehow 'different' lyrics, & first class musicianship, wraps up a fine album from a fine & very (unfortunately) underated band,....Dont wait any longer you fools....get it bought!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Train, 31 Jan 2012
This review is from: My Private Nation (Audio CD)
Very good album and goes well with their previous work. Find that their best work has been on Drops of Jupiter and Save Me, San Francisco.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Private Nation
My Private Nation by Train (Audio CD - 2003)