5.0 out of 5 stars Dashboard Confessional endorsed US rock
Published on 12 Jan. 2004 by Mr. Jon Peache

2.0 out of 5 stars emo at its best? i don't think so...
I'm sorry but I'm sick of hearing rave reviews of this record- i haven't been so let down by a CD is years. The only track worth listening to is "the quiet things that no one ever knows". I heard this on the radio and expected the rest of the album to be in the same style at least, but it dragged and just went downhill. The production is unbelievably bad on some tracks...
Published on 31 Jan. 2004 by Emerald Pilot

5.0 out of 5 stars Dashboard Confessional endorsed US rock, 12 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
A quick glance at the track listing is enough to show that Brand New aren’t your typical US frat boys, who’ve struck lucky and got a record deal. Song titles such as the fine (and long) ‘Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have To Do Is Die’ are a bold statement of intent in anyone’s books, but largely, this promise is delivered.
The album opens with ‘Tautou’, a brief, sparse (yet kind of ethereal) intro, which is a good way to set the tone for what is to follow.
Future single ‘Sic Transit Gloria’ is all creeping, funky bass and guitar, and the antithesis of those Hip Hop/R n B songs that boast of the artist’s sexual prowess. Singer Jesse Lacey has written this from the point of view of the sexually inexperienced male, terrified of his impending coming of age moment with a more dominant woman, a nice reversal of the man as sexual predator stereotype.
Lyrically, Lacey at times calls to mind a less eloquent, American Morrissey (albeit without the sense of humour), with his biting cynicism of those around him. Nowhere is this more evident than on (the possibly Home Alone inspired) ‘Okay, I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don’t’, seemingly an ode to a former lover, during which he declares his band to ‘be the best at what we do’, and that ‘it hurts to be this good’. It’s not clear how seriously we should take these claims, though one suspects the band don’t believe their own hype this much. The line ‘I hope you come down with something they can’t diagnose, don’t have the cure for’ is one which sticks in the throat, and should mean something to anyone who’s suffered from a nasty relationship fall out.
One of the most touching moments comes on the less cynical, twisted love song of ‘The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot’, Lacey declaring his feelings for a former lover who he has wronged in some undisclosed way. Clearly full of regret, it is one of the few times on the LP that Lacey allows his mask of cynicism to slip to show he’s not a complete misanthrope.
Elsewhere, ‘Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis’ is reminiscent of the Foo Fighters’ ‘Tired Of You’ in its’ simplicity, whilst ‘Guernica’ is another example of the quiet verse/loud chorus formula which works so well throughout the LP, with an explosive shouty bit in the middle 8.
Closer ‘Play Crack The Sky’ is the only fully acoustic track on the album, and draws analogies between the end of a relationship and a sinking ship. The ending, with the coda ‘this is the end’ is sublime, and a great way to end one of the albums of 2003.
If there is any criticism to be made, then it can only be that sometimes Lacey has too much to say, trying to fit too many words into each line, so that on occasion songs sound cluttered. The listener can do nothing but focus on the lyrical content, around which most of the songs here seem to have been written. Whilst this is fine at present, it remains to be seen whether Lacey can find enough inspiration to keep up the standard set here over too many more albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think they could get better, but they did ..., 5 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums of all time. I played "Your Favorite Weapon" constantly for weeks, but now that they've matured, Brand New are even better. I loved the fast songs on "Your Favorite Weapon", but found the best quality in "Soco Amaretto Lime" and "The No Seatbelt Song". Those deeper songs are BN's real niche and they should stick to it, which they've done with "Deja Entendu". The slow slongs are in the majority here, but they are addictive slow songs with strong choruses like only Brand New can do. There are also a couple of fantastic fast (but again more mature) tracks.
(1) "Tautou" --> More of an intro than a real track. Kind of pretty ... It's neither bad nor really good so I tend to skip it. A decent warm-up though.
(2) "Sic Transit Gloria ... Glory Fades" --> A fantastic song, one of the fast tracks on the album. It's ultimately about a guy losing his virginity and not feeling quite ready, but you have to listen carefully to get that. It's surprisingly moving - the lyrics and chorus are great.
(3) "I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light" --> This song is about homesickness and it's very moving. Slow-ish but catchy and with a good chorus. I love it, depressing as it is.
(4) "Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't" --> Yet another of my favourites. It's really beautiful, and has an eerie feel to it, but with quite bitter lyrics. Like most of these songs, it starts of slow but catchy, and speeds up with a catchy, powerful chorus. I'm not sure what it's about exactly, but it's great anyway ;-)
(5) "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" --> Another fast song. This one is anthemic, addictive and impossible to tire of. Probably favourite ever BN track. It's very heart-wrenching, and you will love it instantly.
(6) "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" --> One of the real slowies, but beautiful. A really sincere song to a girl he's hurt. The lyrics seem so genuine and sad.
(7) "Jaws Theme Swimming" --> It took me a bit longer to get into this one for some reason. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance. I do love it now. It's catchy with good lyrics, and the verses have a really unusual, haunting sound.
(8) "Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis" --> I love this song so much. From what I gather, it's about a guy who picks up a girl but feels bad he's taking advantage of her. It's sad with beautiful lyrics and a consistently lovely tune. This one is definitely in the style of "The No Seatbelt Song" or "Soco Amaretto Lime". A Brand New classic.
(9) "Guernica" --> A fast song, angry as well as sad. It's about one of the member's grandfather having lung cancer, and all the emotions that come with that. It's extra moving when you know that background. It has a great chorus.
(10) "Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have To Do Is Die" --> Is there really any need for a 16-word title?! I think not. I love Brand New's long, abstract song names but this one is a bit much in my opinion. Anyway, it's a good song. Slow and sad with a good chorus. A brilliant listen (and a long one, at 7 minutes).
(11) "Play Crack The Sky" --> I agree with other reviewers that it's beautiful and moving, but this just isn't one of my favourites. I find it *too* sad, even by Brand New's standards. You really need to be in the right mood to hear it, or it'll make you cry! It's lovely but hasn't got the definite chorus the other songs have. Stunning vocals and lyrics - it's a metaphor about loving and losing someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Landmark Record, 25 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
Trying to make a comparison between Deja Entendu and another record is proving to be difficult. It is hard to think of another CD so full of consistant talented, originaly styled music, and dripping with such brutal honesty. This is a rock CD with lyrics so meaningfull it is tough not to find songs that seem to directly relate to yourself. Each track is filled with poetic verses and catchy choruses brimming with teenage angst. But there's no whineing here... No "I love this girl, but I don't have the guts to talk to her" kind of stuff that makes you want to throw your stereo through a window, this is deep and meaningful; so much so that you'll be constantly thinking "I know just how this guy feels" as the lead singer produces another line that makes you smile with it's wit.
A final point is that this should never be compared to Brand New's first record. If they'd been clever they would have changed their name as well as their style to try and push themselves as far from their pop punk past as possible. This is different music and technicaly a different band. I would honestly recommend everyone give this record a good listening to, each track has it's own special qualities and the entire CD simply reveals more with every listen...

This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
This is one of my favourite albums of all time. I played "Your Favorite Weapon" constantly for weeks, but now that they've matured, Brand New are even better. I loved the fast songs on "Your Favorite Weapon", but found the best quality in "Soco Amaretto Lime" and "The No Seatbelt Song". Those deeper songs are BN's niche and they should stick to it, which they've done with "Deja Entendu". The slow slongs are in the majority here, but they are addictive slow songs with strong choruses like only Brand New can do. There are also a couple of fantastic fast (but again more mature) tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars holy maturity, batman!, 18 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
Okay, so if you heard 'The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows' and are searching for an cd with more songs like that one,
I suggest you go for 'Your Favorite Weapon', Brand New's first album. I may not know much about music but I know the difference between these cds. And man is it noticeable.
The standout feature on 'Your Favorite Weapon' was the lyrics, because honestly I think Jesse Lacey, the lead singer, has real talent and tells the same old story in ways that not many others I have heard of do. The same goes for 'Deja Entendu', albeit this one is decidedly matured and has more variety in its contents. 'The Quiet Things' is about has heavy as it gets. The main feel of this album is calm and quiet and relaxed. Many of the people (including myself) who pinned Brand New as another punky-emo band have been blown the hell out of the water. Buy it if you want to hear it, don't if you want The Quiet Things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 4 July 2004
P. S. Bolton "Sam Bolton" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
I must admit, when i first heard brand new's first single "quiet things that no-one ever knows" i thought it was old news, and that I'd heard it before.
After borrowing the album from a friend, and it being recommended from a number of people I stuck it in the CD player. After having a few listens of it, I was obsessed. The lyrics which are full of raw emotion and are backed up with some superb guitar work. Jesse (the lead singer) sings with great power and is great on stage.
There are some truly amazing tracks on this album. One of which is track 4 " okay i believe you...." which is a song that has everything that a punk/emo song should, powerful lyrics etc.
There are also some other great tracks, which you'll just have to find out about by yourself.
If you like punk/emo then get this album, by far the best album of 2003 and one of the most original records I've heard for some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded all expectations!, 17 May 2004
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
Brand New's first album was a good album, but it was hardly anything special, if anything is was stereotypical emo. But Deja Entendu is a whole new ball game!
It is hard to believe that this is the same band that produced 'Your Favourite Weapon', where their previous album seemed to stick pretty rigidly to the emo blue print for success. This breaks all the rules and stereotypes, and seems to transcend the genre, taking emo to a more intense and intelligent level. So much so I am not sure that you can even class this cd as emo.
Brand New showed glimpses of lyrical genius on their first album, and many in the punk rock world see lead singer Jesse Lacey as special talent, but this really shows what he is capable of! The lyrics are superb throughout, they are deep, intense and always intelligent. And most strikingly convey genuine powerful emotion in every line without sacrificing song structure or melody.
The twin vocal assault of Jesse and guitarist Vin Accardi, compliment, contrast and harmonise to great affect and adds extra dimension to songs like 'Sic Transit Gloria...'. Also the variety to the album is very impressive, it takes you through the emotions and is equal part beautiful, aggressive, loud and soft.
The 2 singles so far 'Sic Transit Gloria..' and 'The Quiet Things..' show the new level of maturity and the level of originality and variety to this album, they are matched by 9 other tracks all equally good.
Brand New have evolved drastically since their last album, and they are better in every single way for it. Fans of their first album are sure to be surprised by the change, but can surely only appreciate the new level of song writing and musicianship on display.
There isn’t a bad track on this album, the originality and intensity of the song writing is Brand News greatest strength and makes this album stand out head and shoulders above everything else in what has become a very predictable emo genre. I can't recomend this cd highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars A melodic, emotional journey., 4 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
I've had this album for over a year now, and it still feels fresh. The vocals by Jesse are amazingly soothing and is good for all moods.

1. Tautou 8/10. A quiet intro where you can hear Jesse saying 'I'm sinking like a hole in the sea.' Very eerie and a great intro.

2. Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades 10/10. A great bassline and starts off very calm but then sound explodes in the chorus with Jesse shouting 'Die young and save yourself!!!' The first song I heard by Brand new and by far the best.

3. I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light 8/10. Jesse pours his heart out on the accoustic verses and then the sound yet again explodes in the chorus. This one may take a few listens to like.

4. Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't 9/10. Jesse sounds ignorant but honest and like the last song it explodes on the chorus. But the melody is better on this song.

5. The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows 10/10. In the verses Jesse sings like someone has died, but in the chorus he explodes in such emotion it is overpowering. One of the best.

6. The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot 8/10. A calm accoustic number. No explosion but still has heaps of emption.

7. Jaws Theme Swimming 9/10. Interesting guitar riff, simple and effective with the usual quiet-verse-but-explode-in-the-chorus structure.

8. Me Vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis 9/10. Starts off like an accoustic number with Jesse singing very quietly. Near the end they explode again but it was very well executed.

9. Guernica 10/10. Do I like this song because it is more intense? Yes. The vocals are very good going from whispers to screams in less than a second. Melody munchers may not feel satisfied though.

10. Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have To Do Is Die 9/10. Calm song that explodes in the chorus. Although it's samey it hasn't tired yet.

11. Play Crack The Sky 8/10. It's okay I just feel that this song drags on a little. Accoustic number.

This album took me about five listens to appreciate the music properly. So give this album a chance and it will creep into your mind (try listening to it while going to sleep)

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Brand New’s Deja Entendu, 16 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
Many people who have heard this band’s debut album will have certain expectations about this record. Whilst Your Favourite Weapon was popular, it was hardly groundbreaking. It fused what was essentially pop punk with something a bit more edgy and emotional, and was enjoyable, but not really serious music.
The new record from this band is very different; in my opinion, a step up to greater things. ‘Emo’ as a genre (whose existence is arguable) has become very popular over the last twelve months. A generation of bands have emerged who have clearly been influenced by the likes of Far, At the Drive In, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Smiths and The Cure, many of whom are talented in their own right. But countless reviewers and critics have aimed the criticism at such bands that they are following a formula, much like 2001/2’s oft-maligned ‘garage rock’ bands.
Deja Entendu seems on first listen to be the archetypal ‘Emo’ record, with its atmospheric intro track, obscure song titles and the expected heartfelt acoustic track to finish. But to me this album is so much more than that. To start with, it is a progression. The sound, in terms of musicianship and production is incomparable to that of the first album, and all the better for it. Secondly, whilst I have said that this record seems to follow a formula just as much as many others, it sounds surprisingly fresh. This is essentially to do with the bands song writing in general, and Jesse Lacey’s lyrics in particular. The band have admitted that the first record was essentially a compilation of songs played and recorded throughout their teens, but Deja Entendu contrastingly seems to be a group of songs designed to fit together. Each one flows effortlessly into the next, and it seems to me that almost all are potential single releases.
The album does however have its downsides. I am not at all a fan of the final acoustic track, Play Crack The Sky, very similar to the final track on the first record, Soco Amaretto Lime. The total lack of production, and the thumping end of the song with vaguely distinguishable voices in the background strikes me as being somewhat pretentious, and not in keeping with the style of the rest of the album. However, this is a minor complaint, as I am sure there are many people out there who, in the words of the band are “suckers for anything acoustic”(!).
In conclusion, this is a band that has proved something. They are the first average pop punk/emo band that in my opinion has graduated to make a mature and involving record, shedding the description ‘average’ for that of ‘stimulating’. I very much hope that there is more to come from a band that has captured my attention in manner that is rarely so rewarding.

5.0 out of 5 stars PURE GENIUS, 6 May 2004
This review is from: Deja Entendu (Audio CD)
I don't know what to say...this album makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time. Every track is superb. I think this album stands alone from the rest of the genre in that it is so unpretentious but just makes you want to rock. At the same time it is so packed full of emotion and the lyrics are amazing. You feel like you really know the guy like an undersatanding friend after several listens. He puts sentences together to describe feelings in a way that makes me wish I'd written it.
I very rarely write reviews for albums but this time I have to in the hope that others will buy it. Deja Entendu has done so much for me...helped me through some rough times, and now I have an attachment with it that I will remember for a long time. Other albums of this quality are relationship of command by at the drive-in and lateralus by tool...in my opinion!!
Stand out tracks are all of them!! But my personal favourite is probably "the quiet things that no one ever knows". The way it builds up at the end and just explodes with pure power and feeling...pure genius.
Buy it now...you will not regret it. If you're into rock music and you don't like it you need to get your head seen to.
Nuff said

Deja Entendu
Deja Entendu by Brand New (Audio CD)