5.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island film........
I have always considered 'The Hunt for Red October' to be one of my very favourite films, definitely top three, and my choice of film if I was allowed just one prior to be stuck on a desert island!

I first saw the film on it's initial cinema release, I was in my mid-teens and went with my dad. I then bought the novel, and still read it once every couple of...
Published on 29 July 2012 by IOWBOY

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Film, Above Average Blu Ray
Having read a few reviews saying that the quality of the transfer for the film wasn't good I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. It's not going to blow anyone away but it still looks very good. Considering that much of the film is set inside submarines it could have turned into just a dark blur but it isn't.

I have only seen this film on video before...
Published 21 months ago by MLindsay89

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality copy of my favourite movie :-(, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Hunt For Red October (Special Collector's Edition [DVD] [1990] (DVD)
This is one of my favourite movies ever... I pretty much know the script and can watch it over and over. I am recovering from surgery, so was looking forward to watching this a few times. However, the copy I received was very poor. It keeps changing speed - going from normal to ff without being commanded. Also, in the Russian language parts of the movie, the qualuty of the subtitles is very poor, and in one place, they refer to a previous piece of dialogue... not that which is being shown! I would normally return something like this, but as I only paid about £5.50, it is more trouble than it is worth to return it. Very disappointed with this copy. I will have to buy another copy on the high street :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars An intellectual thriller of the highest caliber, 3 Aug 2014
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
While I usually try to avoid all things Baldwin, this film is just way too good to miss. It’s hard to imagine a more compelling storyline, which centers on a preeminent Soviet submarine captain going rogue with the shiniest new toy in the Soviet arsenal – the Red October, a new Typhoon class submarine designed for the purpose of sneaking past US defenses and delivering a devastating first strike in any war between the two Cold War adversaries. No one knows what this captain is going to do – not the Soviets and not the Americans. Obviously, the greatest and most likely outcome is an attack on the eastern US that would initiate World War III. At the same time, however, there is also the possibility that Captain Marko Ramius (Sean Connery) might be trying to defect. Neither outcome is palatable to the Soviet regime, so they send the bulk of their fleet toward the North Atlantic to find and destroy the Red October. For the Americans, though, it’s not so simple. Only one thing is clear – they have to find the sub before it penetrates America’s coastal defenses and figure out what Captain Ramius is planning to do. That’s where CIA analyst Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin) comes in.

The film’s cinematography is excellent – well, apart from what appears to me to be a rather poor green screen shot in the final scene. It can’t be easy to film the bulk of a movie within the close quarters of a submarine – granted, the Red October is pretty freakin’ huge for a sub, but it’s still a sub. Director John McTiernan may be known for blowing up everything in sight in Die Hard, but there really are no extravagant special effects in this movie. This is an intellectual thriller, where subtle hints and exercises in logic drive the story, and when all is said and done you can easily come to believe that everything you’ve seen might really have happened. Tom Clancy really was a master storyteller who took care that no loose strings were left behind.

I'm not going to compare this to other movies featuring Jack Ryan, largely because the only other one I’ve seen is The Sum of All Fears, which features another actor I don’t care for. I will say that Alec Baldwin was good in this movie. Sean Connery, of course, steals the show. His Russian accent won’t win any awards, but the stoicism and inscrutability with which he plays his character really maintains the suspense and keeps you guessing what he’s really up to for most of the movie. He’s equally believable as both a defector and a madman determined to start World War III. The supporting cast, boasting the likes of James Earl Jones, Sam Neill, Tim Curry, and Fred Thompson is top-notch, as well. And, with a running time of two hours and fifteen minutes, you truly get your money’s worth from The Hunt for Red October.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book adaptation that's worth watching!, 1 Nov 2001
By A Customer
The majority of films made from books completely ruin the original concept, but this is a welcome exception. Alec Baldwin is unengaging as Jack Ryan, but Sean Connery's performance is superb, and Sam Neill (a much under-rated actor) has to be mentioned for his brilliant support.
Most times, if I see the film and then read the book, I find the book boring, and if I read the book first then I find the film shallow and inconsistent. But this really works. The writer actually takes the film in a totally different direction, completely changing the ending, so both film and book can be enjoyed separately.
Special mention goes to the inspired scene where the Russian characters stop speaking Russian and start to speak English, without making you wonder why they switched languages suddenly. It's a brilliant piece of directing that reflects the high quality of the whole film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cold War classic., 12 Feb 2014
I bought this film for the THIRD time...yes, you did read that! I had previously bought the same film on the 'Special Collector's Edition' DVD format and BOTH of them have been faulty (note - not from Amazon), I assume there must be a common fault as both of them had the same volume problems and sticking points in the same scenes, so be weary if you're buying that version.
So, I ended up buying this on Bluray. I don't really buy Blurays' as I see it as over-rated and just another way of squeezing extra pennies from the consumer, but I have to say, it works for this film! The picture is much clearer than its DVD counterpart, the menu screen is great too. However, I am a bit dissappointed with the lack of extras, but what can you do?
Alec Baldwin really nails the Jack Ryan role and makes it his own, and to me still hasn't been bettered (definitely not by Ben Affleck anyway...). Good ol' Shean Connery is as reliably shmooth as ever while Scott Glenn, Sam Neill, and James Earl Jones provide a superb supporting cast. Feminists will no doubt be furious with the total lack of a female cast, but make no mistake, this is a proper man flick, but way above the mindless violence of films such as 'Rambo,' this is intelligent viewing and a real espionage thriller, and it appears that Cold War in the 80's was definitely a man's world!
Superb performances, a great, gripping script and storyline and brilliantly filmed. Great sound quality too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Film, 9 May 2013
PeeJay (Devon England) - See all my reviews
I had seen this film a number of times on TV but I had to add it to my DVD/CD Library. It's a gripping story of the defection of a top Russian Navy Captain to the West. Full of suspense all the way through and of particular interest to those who remember life back in the so called COLD WAR days. Connery plays his part very well and the film is very believeable. Not one to miss. 5*****

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favorite movie although we don'n know why, 3 Mar 2013
Very good quality for a very nice price. If we wish to see a movie but don't find another option we both like, this is always the one to turn to. I don't know why but it always fully satisfies. Good storyline, good acting, nice locations (those submarines), suspence and a couple of scenes that you want to see over and over again, my favourite? Relax Jonesey, you sold me....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Dec 2012
Bought this film on video about 6 years ago what a fantastic film now its past it sell by, bought it DVD and WOW what a difference I would give it 10 if there were 10 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Super dooper film, 7 Nov 2012
Monifieth Housewife (Monifieth, Angus, UK) - See all my reviews
I think that Alec Baldwin was the best Jack Ryan, but then I am totally biased, sorry. (Shame he only did the one film). I think HF did a fine job but he will always be Indie to me and BA was okay but didn't rock my world. Anyway, this is a fine film and I have watched it several times. Fine cast, good story,and it still grips me (which is strange because I know what's going to happen!) Recommend one evening with a few beers (or maybe some vodka to get into the spirit ha ha). I really must love this film because I have bought it on VHS, DVD and now Blu-ray. I only bought the Blu-ray because (a)it's cheap (b) love the film (c) wanted as high a definition on my screen for as little as possible outlay. Definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunt for Red October [Blu-ray], 13 Sep 2012
Great film and quality.I can watch this film time and time again.One of the best action films around. a true classic,very detailed. go ahead and buy this with confidence

4.0 out of 5 stars A cold war thriller, 30 Aug 2012
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is a cold war thriller set at a time when the Soviet Union was regarded as the west's main enemy. Sean Connery plays Captain Rameus in charge of the latest Russian submarine undergoing its first sea trials. Rameus is a renegade, but his 2nd in command, Captain Borodin (Sam Neill), is sympathetic to Rameus' intentions. What we, the Russians and Americans do not know is whether Rameus is mad, intends to attack the U.S. with a first-strike of nuclear missiles, or intends to defect taking the prize submarine with him. Clearly therefore both sides are out to sink the submarine and all who sail in her. A C.I.A. operative Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin) knows Rameus of old and thinks he knows his intentions so gets himself aboard another vessel shadowing Rameus. By today's standards of film making, with gratuitous and often quite meaningless violence constantly on screen, this movie is a little tame I guess but there was enough of interest going on to keep me entertained for just over two hours. But then I come from a simpler time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›