5.0 out of 5 stars A fusion of previous albums

Published on 20 Jan 2004 by Jonathan A. Warner

5.0 out of 5 stars A fusion of previous albums, 20 Oct 2003
Giacomoni Andrea (Bagnacavallo, Ravenna Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
The new Delerium album sounds like a sort of fusion of elements from all the previous albums. We have the same tipe of vocals and beats heard in Poem and Conjure one, instrumental tracks like "serenity" and "eternal odissey" remembering of some early works, some dark elements here and there like in Karma and totally new sounds in tracks like "magic" and "orbit of me". In the end we have "returning" featuring the vocals of an angel called kristy Thirsk (vocalist from Semantic spaces and Karma), this is the ultimate Delerium song, a track that uses all the elements I've mentioned, a masterpiece. The second cd features beautiful videos, a "must" for all delerium fans. In my opinion the best album by delerium is still "Karma" but this one comes immediately after.All delerium disciples (either the ones who hated "Poem") will find many jewels in here.

4.0 out of 5 stars On the whole a good listen, 29 Jun 2003
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
Whilst ‘Chimera’ doesn’t match Delerium’s earlier triumphs Semantic Spaces and Karma, it is certainly a more cohesive and rewarding listen than the curiously vacuous Poem. Overall it’s a bolder, more rich and enjoyable record than Poem. Here are the tracks:
Love: Nothing earth-shattering, but the vocals and layered instrumentation come together nicely to make a pleasant, mellow, mildly upbeat song. From the very start of this album it’s clear that it very much lacks the darkness and moodiness of Delerium’s previous works. Instead, this is a bright, breezy, very summery kind of record.7/10
After All: I love this track. It probably has the catchiest hookline on the album -- Very infectious and rousing -- and as such was a good choice for first single. Straight-out pop track, but there’s nothing wrong with that when it’s as well executed as this. Can’t wait to hear the dance mixes – with some stronger beats I would imagine this could be quite a danceable track. 9/10
Just A Dream: Quite similar in feel to ‘Love’. Vocals are nicely done, they kind of merge into the music. One of my favourite tracks of the album. Mellow and dreamy, you can float away on the music. Definitely the best of Chimera’s ‘quiet’ tracks. I get the feeling this is kind of like what ‘Poem’ was aiming to be, only this is much better. 9/10
Run For It: Chorus is fantastic – very catchy, and although subject matter is downbeat, it has an uptempo feel. This will be the second single – it has the catchy hooklines that can do well in the charts. Overall, it has a kind of folksy feel, but it’s still a winner of a track. 7.5/10
Truly: Classy. The music and production are awesome and the vocals blend in beautifully. One of the better tracks on the album, this would make a nice single. Very contemporary, another straight-out pop song. I don’t have a problem with Delerium doing pop as long as it’s done well and this one is beautifully put together. 8/10
Serenity: How I’ve missed you, Rhys Fulber! An awesomely lush, textured, entrancing instrumental, recalling the best of Semantic Spaces and, more recently, Conjure One. Epic, dreamy, reminiscent of ‘Flatlands’, but with a female chant (or a choir boy??). Bliss. 9/10
Touched: And now things start to fall apart a wee bit… The lyrics are way too cheesy and saccharine for my tastes. A pretty nondescript ballad, recalling the blandness of ‘Poem’: not an unpleasant blandness, just rather unmemorable and by-the-numbers. I want something more kick-ass. 5/10
Forever After: I’m still unsure whether I like this or not. Is it a lively, original and spirited mixture of sounds…or is it just a mess? I’m leaning toward the former, but still have trouble getting into the spirit of it. Perhaps it will grow on me. Don’t exactly know where the vocals start or finish. 6/10
Fallen: Given that I didn’t’ like Rani’s contribution to the last album, ‘Underwater’ I was surprised by just how much I liked this. The melody is infectious and Rani infuses the song with a passion lacking on the previous and subsequent few tracks. 8/10
Orbit of Me: Similar to ‘Forever After’ and I’m similarly unsure whether I love it or hate it. This sounds nothing like the Delerium I know. Interesting textures, very trip-hoppy, although it’s kind of spoiled by that annoying synth that repetitively (and loudly) drones throughout the track and I’m not sure that I care for Leigh’s vocals this time. I’m hoping this one will grow on me, but thus far I’m not very impressed. 5/10
Magic: Initial impression: sickeningly sweet. Lasting impression: pass the sick bucket. The main problem is Julee Cruise’s vocals, which are naff and cloying to the point of being embarrassing (‘Maybe it’s just an old superstition, but you’re a warlock, aren’t you?’ WTF?!) No thank you. 3/10
Eternal Odyssey: Another instrumental in the vein of classic Delerium. After the last track, we needed something to pep us up. As ever, beautifully mixed, with rich instrumentation and gorgeous chants. Given that it lasts 10 minutes, it doesn’t have that much cohesion, it meanders a little in places. It’s still a much needed injection of darkness and depth following the dreadful ‘Magic’. 7/10
Returning: Kristy Thirsk is back!! From the moment I heard those angelic wails I breathed a sigh of relief. Perhaps not among the absolute Delerium/Kristy classics, this is still a fantastic song and much needed after the rather patchy second-half of the album. Kristy’s lyrics are typically obscure and suitably dark (unlike the horribly cheesy ‘loveliness’ of ‘Magic’) and her voice is as captivating as ever. Like Kristy’s earlier Delerium work, there are dark undertones, and a pseudo-gothic foundation, from which her angelic voice soars skyward. 9/10
Basically, this is a good album: yes, it does take a very pop-oriented approach. As I said above, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing from my perspective, so long as it’s done well. And I have to say, even though this album has its rough patches, it sure as heck beats the majority of the vacant drivel that populates the charts. The first six tracks are absolutely fantastic…unfortunately, things start crumbling toward the end. The vocals get unforgivably naff and cheesy and delerium’s forays into the realms of jazz and ‘lounge’ music seem rather misguided, not to mention fairly sloppy. My advice for future reference: firstly, don’t. Secondly, if you must, at least brush it up. ‘Forever After’ and ‘Orbit of Me’ are really rather messy, unpolished tracks. Either Stick to what your good at or GET GOOD at it before you do it. Good album, could have been better had a few of the gushing love songs been cut out and had the more experimental tracks been better executed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece !?!, 30 Jun 2003
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
This album is just as good as its predecessors they are still following the same ethnic powerful song structure only with a more direct approach.
This record see’s some new vocalists but don’t worry as the old favourites are still their Leigh Nash and Kristy Thirsk are on form with some great new songs.
This album has amazing potential and doesn’t disappoint and also welcomes the return of member Rhys Fulber. However this still sounds like a Bill Leeb record so Frontline Assembly fans are going to like it too.
The songs are as beautiful and entrancing as on Karma and Poem.
No gimmicks just great music.
Over all this album retains the more atmospheric emotions and displays them in fashion more direct than before no doubt some more No1 singles on the way.
The bonus disc has some great mixes and video’s from the first three records which are amazing.
This record is great and will please the old fans and embrace and enchant new ones.
Highly recommended !

4.0 out of 5 stars A slight change of direction, seemingly for the better, 19 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
This, on second or third listen at least, is an intruiging departure for Leeb & Fulber. Whilst the 'world' sound is , naturally, still present and correct, there's a bit more diversity this time around. After All has quite a synth-pop feel to it, whilst Orbit Of Me sounds better than anything on the last Massive Attack album. You can also tell that Magic was written with Julee Cruise in mind - no bad thing either.
There are a couple of instrumental tracks thrown in as well - Serenity and Eternal Odyssey. Both have a Karma vibe going, but Eternal Odyssey seems to be entirely built around Barber's Adagio For Strings, and Serenity sounds like it's crying out for a vocal track.
In a nutshell, if you've liked Delerium from Semantic Spaces onwards you'll probably like this, but in my opinion Karma remains their best album to date - both Poem and Chimera seem to lack the strength of melody and general richness that permeated every song on that album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Delerium, but not bad, 6 July 2003
Milan A. Gowin (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
I remember Delerium way before they got popular.
If they'd never change, I don't think they would have ever made it into the mainstream. Earlier albums (pre-Semantic Spaces) were dark and foreboding. I remember listening to those pieces on a university radiostation in my native Canada. If anyone saw the Brad Pitt, David Duchovny film, Kalifornia, there is a bit of old Delerium on there.
Then along came Semantic Spaces, and I couldn't believe it was Delerium. How they changed and I think for the better (don't get me wrong I like their old stuff, but it's certainly not for everyone).
The album Karma followed and thanks to Sarah McLachlan, they became more well-known in their native Canada and in turn Sarah McLachlan become more well-known outside of her native Canada.
The last-album, Poeme, followed and I must admit I liked that album. However, it was not all rosy, and prior to Poeme, one of the guys from Delerium left (can't remember which one, Leeb or Fulber).
Anyway, now we have a new Delerium album, Chimera.
Unfortunately, I think it's the worst of the new-Delerium (Sementic Spaces and onwards) albums. There are some gems on this one, but most of the ones that are worth listening are written by mainly Leeb/Fulber and the singer for that track . They have employed other writers and I don't think it's as successful.
The synthesized voice of Eiffel65 (or whatever they are called) has been over-done, and Delerium follows that on the song "After All". But like I said, there are some gems on here, especially "Just a Dream" (featuring Margaret Four), "Run For It" (featuring Leigh Nash - again), and the instrumental "Eternal Odyssey" (which features a sample of Samuel Barber's famous reworking of his Adagio for Strings - Agnus Dei).
It's nice to see that Kristy Thirsk (from Semantic Spaces fame) is featured on the last track.
The bonus CD is o.k., but it's not as good as previous bonus CDs.
"Stopwatch Hearts" (featuring Emily Haines) sounds a bit like "Putting on the Ritz".
Other tracks feature remixes, but I can't say they are that exciting.
Perhaps Leeb and Fulber miss their Frontline Assembly days a bit.
I'd recommend this album only for die-hard fans of Delerium like me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Delerium have done much better, 20 Jan 2004
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
It pains me to review this album, as I have heard the incredible heights of artistic achievement that Delerium have attained in the past. Gone is the exquisite, exotic beauty of Karma and Semantic spaces, and it has been replaced by easy listening, chill-out music. To include a piece of the fame and beauty of Samuel Barber's adagio for strings as a sample is also of questionable taste. In some respects, one can excuse Bill Leeb for chasing commercial success in this way, as his back catalogue is so artistically accomplished, but this new direction for Delerium is really not my cup of Earl Grey.
This would have got 3 stars from me, but the disc also included that form of copy protection which is effectively just a CD with corrupted data on it, and there must be some doubt as to whether these can be classed as merchantable quality. It would not play properly in my CD ROM, at an rate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece !?!, 22 Jun 2003
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
The songs are as beautiful and entrancing as on Karma and Poem.
No gimmicks just great music.
The bonus disk has some great mixes and the great videos from the first three records which are hard to find.
Some very worth while extras.
Highly recommended !

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 1 July 2003
Milan A. Gowin (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
I remember Delerium way before they got popular.
Anyway, now we have a new Delerium album, Chimera.
The bonus CD is o.k., but it's not as good as previous bonus CDs.
Other tracks feature remixes, but I can't say they are that exciting.
Perhaps Leeb and Fulber miss their Frontline Assembly days a bit.
I'd recommend this album only for die-hard fans of Delerium like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 30 Jun 2003
Andriy Yesypenko (Kyiv, Ukraine) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] (Audio CD)
The third album from Delerium comes after a three years' silence, but, boy, the wait was worth it! "Chimera" is their best album yet. The album is full of beautifully crafted productions, haunting melodies and voices...Each and every song is a masterpiece, and they flow into each other and one cannot help wishing that the album was longer...I think that it is one of the best albums released this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my god !, 6 Feb 2006
By A Customer
Simply put one track stands out ORBIT OF ME this is so haunting
stirs emotion flows and does not drag. You would not think this is leigh nash ( of sixpence none the richer). Listen to this on
a saturday after a night out and you will enter dream world

Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc]
Chimera [+ Enhanced Bonus Disc] by Delerium (Audio CD - 2008)