5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!!!
Published on 5 April 2004 by M. Broughton

2.0 out of 5 stars Sailing on a New Age ocean of muzak
Published on 23 Jun 2004 by Timothy Hooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!!!, 5 April 2004
M. Broughton "Mazzmus" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
I don't know the track names, all I know is that this little bit of perfection cost me less than a tenner, and it is absolutely magnificent! Loved Mr Foxx when it was cool to do so, managed to find Metamatic & The Garden the other week, both I still have on album (Underpass a major hit with me when I was younger). Remembered them as a bit patchy, but listening now, they both simply glisten.
This is a 2 disc set, but if you want something that will totally relax and massage you, this is perfect. I lost touch with Mr Foxx after The Golden Section, seems I've missed out in a big way.
Seriously, this is a beautiful CD, it's worth it just for the birdsong on the opening of disc 2. I know I'm only just catching up with Mr Foxx, but what a way to start!!!!
As for me..., I'm off to find more...!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocative Mood Music, 29 July 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
This is evocative mood music from Mr. Foxx and is a double album which as well as the new recordings gives you the earlier release "Cathedral Oceans 1". The new album begins with the sound of birds and you're immediately transported from city life to the quiet of a pastoral scene. A mix of synthesisers and vocal effects make up the rest of the album. If ambient music interests you then you won't find much better than this. At times,Foxx's multi-tracked voice mimics the sound of a Latin mass or choral exchange. At other times the music weaves in and out, never loud but sometimes disturbingly quiet, causing you to listen closely for the detail. So much ambient music is for the background. This is for those quiet thoughtful days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music for a vast, half-submerged ruined cathedral..., 7 Jun 2003
J. Deas "moriarty" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
Cathedral Oceans 1 was originally released back in 1995, and is re-released here with the latest instalment Cathedral Oceans 2, on what has become a project that has its roots way back in 1983, 'Pater Noster' a track from the album 'The Garden' where Foxx discovered an interest in ecclesiastical soundscapes.
This is ambient music created in a pretty tight framework and i'm glad that on the back of the excellent artwork packaging of this release (Foxx's other talent is as a graphic designer/teacher and the digipak features his own created images) it says "Music for a vast, half-submerged ruined Cathedral..", as it gives the listener a theme, something to fix on and think about while listening to the music.
Early in '03 Foxx did an exhibition titled Cathedral Oceans in London, featuring digital projections of his artwork creating a "slowly changing stain glass window" with Cathedral Oceans 1 as the soundtrack, it would be great to see this concept exhibited in suitable venues around the country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 23 April 2009
Amazon Customer "Boo62" (Ilkeston Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
Music to depict giant ancient cathedrals submerged underwater. That's the concept for this album so if you are hoping to hear 'pop songs' or more of 'translucence/ drift music' then you are going to be disappointed.
This is very easy to appreciate, sit somewhere sunny, close your eyes and imagine slowly drifting through underwater gothic architecture and the peaceful wistfulness of this begins to take a hold. There is a sweeping beauty that touches upon sadness and although it is really all variations on the same theme the ethereal feel of the project rises above all else and leaves a sense of peace and other worldliness and calm descends.
This is not for everyone but you don't need to be a sandal wearing hippy or crystal waving new age nutjob to appreciate what is on offer. If repetitive sweeping synths and vocals are not your thing then fair enough this is going to start getting on your nips about 2 tracks in. If you fancy something restful and dreamy then get your credit card out and give this a go. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere between Dead Can Dance and Eno, 15 Oct 2009
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
I've gone back to these albums after not listening to them for a while, and I was pleasantly suprised at how good they are. Cathedral Oceans has some beautiful moments but the darker Cathedral Oceans 2 is even better. In the wake of listening to John Foxx and Robin Guthrie's Mirrorball, I can see the links now between Cathedral Oceans and things like Dead Can Dance, and in some ways the whole 4AD ethos. Also, there's a track called Cathedral Oceans on Foxx's new spoken word album, Quiet Man, which opens up new perspectives on the music. I can't think of many other artists where there's so many connections between things and yet such diversity in the styles of music that he's experimenting with. But it's great because your experience of the music grows and changes each year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Quite Touching, 6 July 2006
Mr. S. James "StuartJames" (Barnstaple, North Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
I only have the Volume 1 CD but I can't review that on its own. I really think this is fantastic and it is difficult to put into words. John Foxx carries on his theme of detatchment, alienation and peace in a solitary world by way of instrumentals. Picture overgrown gardens of long forgotten stately homes, tree lined lanes in early autumn and a recent lost love. This is in no way Musak. Please have respect because this is in my opinion an extension of imagery that is unique to John Foxx and his world. The melody never peaks but it is forever changing. Close, but never quite touching (Blurred Girl, Metamatic)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful tidal flow, 12 May 2009
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
It's funny - I've struggled with these albums a bit since I bought them, but having recently acquired the Foxx/Guthrie album Mirrorball, which shares some territory with Cathedral Oceans, I find that I've gone back to them - and have really enjoyed that process. They are really rich, opulent, atmsopheric . . . and while there's still an occasional tidal drift into sameness, more of the melodies have lodged in my head than on previous listens. The perfect companion to the wonderful Mirrorball.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sailing on a New Age ocean of muzak, 23 Jun 2004
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
This is very disappointing. The sister collection to this 'Translucence / Drift Music' is an ambient sensation, but this sadly is a drawn-out double CD of background New Age muzak. It's the kind of thing you'd expect to hear playing in a gift shop near Avebury stone circle. The use of the chanting monks becomes monotonous very quickly and there's a real lack of the space and dynamics that made 'Translucence / Drift Music' so compelling. Fine if you want to sell patchouli scented candles and books about crop circles, otherwise give it a wide berth.

3.0 out of 5 stars sublime, 15 Feb 2004
Mr. C. P. Voyce "blatnoi1" (Leicestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
well this is a different direction from what John Foxx use to do, this double Cd has it moments, the packaging is wonderful you can really loose yourself in the rich textures of this Cd, why only 3 stars well i have heard better but this is well worth trying you wont be dissapointed at all

1.0 out of 5 stars Wandering Oceans, 26 Feb 2009
This review is from: Cathedral Oceans I And II (Audio CD)
A long time ago I had a friend who didn't have a clue how to compose music on my synthesizer, he'd pick a sound, tinker around with it to make it sound more than what it was and then play a lot of random notes very slowly. That's pretty much "Cathedral Oceans", and coming from John Foxx who made a lot of nice pop songs I was very disappointed. Perhaps he should stick with making pictures nowadays.

Cathedral Oceans I And II
Cathedral Oceans I And II by John Foxx (Audio CD - 2003)