• Human

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 July 2003
I have all Nitin Sawhneys albums and my favourites are the early ones (Migration and Displacing the Priest). Maybe its because they had more focus than Beyond Skin and Prophesy or perhaps the Indian influence was much more to the fore. This album at last manages to bring together Nitin's diverse style into a more coherent (and listenable) whole. I'm not one for the political/personal musings that Nitin goes in for (very sixth form), instead concentrating on the music. The tracks Falling, Heer, Fragile Wind and Raag alone justify the purchase of this CD. The rest are easy enough to listen to which is no bad thing. If you've never tried Nitin Sawhney I would strongly recommend this album over the last two.
on 15 July 2003
I’ve waited a long time for this album….but it was definitely worth the wait!
Just when I thought I could never love another album the way I do, Beyond Skin, Nitin produces this stunning collection of songs, which will leave you in a hedonistic state of pure happiness.
This album feels more like Beyond Skin than Prophesy. Its smoother, warmer, and more intricate, taking a more layered approach than its last predecessor, Prophesy.
On first listening to the album, I thought it was good. As you continue to play it over and over, you begin to hear new sounds, melodies within melodies, and now I absolutley love it.
Standout tracks have to be all of them, but at a push if I had to choose just a few I'd say:
The River – A great opener, you’ll be tapping your toe to this one. Larderdarde’s vocals seem made for this track.
Eastern Eyes - Natasha Atlas is simply haunting on this track and suits Kevin Mark Trail’s voice perfectly. When the beat kicks in, this track takes off.
Falling – This is fantastic! Aqualung’s talents have been used brilliantly to create a truly beautiful track that lulls you into a magical musical soundscape.
Waiting (Oh mistress mine) – impeccable – my favourite. This track will have you mesmerised within the first 20 seconds.
Raag – a great instrumental number that blends that eastern vibe with a light electronica feel. Great build-ups and breakdowns.
Nitin fans won’t be disappointed, Nitin’s trademark sound, which is basically a bit of everything, is well represented on this album. He covers everything from DnB, to Jazz to electronica, mastering all, effortlessly.
If you’re new to Nitin, this is as good a place to start as any. Once you own one of his albums, you’ll be itching to add his others to your collection.
on 22 July 2003
Flawless production coupled with soulful melodies make a human a truly emotive experience to listen to. The album flows seamlessly from one track to the next, each song in turn painting an intimate portrait not only of Sawhney's own experiences, but reminding us all of the tribulations and joys of growing up in contemporary Britain. The track 'O Mistress Mine' in particular, has a richness, timelessness and grace that seeps into your soul. While other tracks such as 'Rainfall' and 'Eastern Eyes' provide sharp, yet gripping beats. More trip-hopping sounding songs are included, all dripping with emotional subtlety. The sound and richness of London, and all it has to offer in terms of diversity is represented here in this beautiful and unique album. This is a must buy purchase for anyone who appreciates quality music.
on 30 April 2010
I shuffle my songs. So many times when a song from this album comes on, I have found myself thinking "wow, this is really good, who is this?" It's because the Human encompasses such a range of styles and guest artists that it seems always re-discovered. It's a very organic album in the sense that the songwriting is at the focus, and the fusion of diverse ethnic influences fit naturally in the service of the song. With many "ethnic-fusion" artists, it seems to me they are just opening the drawer labelled "eclectic and obscure instruments" and emptying the contents on the table. They just throw in a digideroo, a doudouk, tabla and uilleann pipes like they're making a salad. On Human, Sawhney is making good songs, first and foremost, and exposing his asian roots secondly. Not nearly as electronica as some of his other albums. Highly recommended.
on 28 October 2013
I love the work of Nitin and have began collecting and exploring his work and that of Talvin Singh. Both of them have a highly skilled way of producing emotional and moving music. What I particularily love about this album is the way in which it moves around various genres yet maintains a gentle mysterious asian feel. It is well thought out and the vocalists of which there are a few all bring a colour to the production. I would suggest getting this if you love chilled emotional music which takes you to paradise. I use it for chillin and for parties and it always gets attention by my guests.

A Deep and loving sound which reminds me of how life should be.
on 16 July 2003
Human may be the best offering from Nitin Sawhney to date. It is more consistent than previous albums and develops a smoother more song-based style but loses none of the effortless integration of musical cultures which chacterised Beyond Skin in particular. Vocal performances are particularly strong and varied throughout. The overall mood is a bit more soulful, certainly less agressive than Prophesy, and played gently it makes soothing background without perhaps really catching the ear. But turn up the volume to really listen and this album is full of delights. Great stuff.
on 24 January 2004
Very good album, but not his best. If this is the first you hear, don't be put off. The man is a genius and his older work is the kind of music you don't hear often enough. Beautiful, soulful and original. The kind of stuff that can really turn your day around from bad to 'what a wonderful world'.
on 17 July 2003
How does he do it? Yet again, Nitin has managed to produce an ablbum of sublime quality. As with previous albums, Human is packed full of influences from every imaginable music genre-with the Indian undertones in most tracks bringing the whole album together and making it unmistakebly Nitin! It has a track for every mood, from the majestic beats of "Raag" to the almost stationary "Say Hello". For all Nitin Sawhney followers, this is a must buy album. For those who have yet to sample the delights-buy this and you will be hooked!
on 22 July 2003
I bought 'Human' on the strength of Sawhney's previous releases ('Prophesy', 'Beyond Skin' etc). Unlike these albums, I wasn't immediately enchanted by 'Human' and after the first listen I put it aside for a while. However, I've since listened to it again, and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's a lot more reflective than his previous discs, and it's a lot more personal. Highlight of the album so far is 'Falling Angels'. Definitely one that will grow on you. If you give it a chance.
on 11 January 2008
After hearing the rich variety of musics and experiences in other Sawhney albums, there is nothing here at all. Extremely bland. Even the words don't say anything. The tapestry was so rich before, but this... It's just nothing.