5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, but stunningly good.
Published on 7 Oct 2005 by Richard Vernon

2.0 out of 5 stars stranger to a blues fan
Published on 8 Sep 2010 by Gizmophobic

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, but stunningly good., 7 Oct 2005
This review is from: Truth Is Not Fiction (Audio CD)
Otis Taylor has done it again. Another classic album, again often bleak in outlook, but so, so, good. It's hard to list the standout tracks as they're almost ALL standouts, but 'House of the Crosses', 'Past Times', 'Shakie's Gone', and Rosa Rosa are especially good. About the only track on the album I don't listen to regualarly is Big Joe William's 'Baby Please Don't Go', which is OK, but I've heard so many versions....
'House Of The Crosses, which the sleeve notes assure us is fiction, is about a guard at a real-life prison in Russia, one of whose inmates is his evil father. Cello backing, very spooky. 'Shakie's Gone' is about the death of a former slave, while 'Rosa Rosa' is of course about Rosa Parks, the woman whose refusal to stand up in the black section at the back of a bus and instead sat down in the whites-only front section sparked the US Civil Rights struggle. As Otis eloquently puts it, 'who's that standing up for freedom'.
I regard this as among Taylor's finest album's, and possibly the very best from an excellent collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars stranger to a blues fan, 8 Sep 2010
Gizmophobic - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Truth Is Not Fiction (Audio CD)
I saw Otis at the Barbican a couple of years back and while clearly an excellent blues player this album comes into the category of experimental. I see the amazon blurb has it as trance blues, well there is an element of that, but for me it doesn't work. I'd have RL Burnside and his like, or even some African desert blues, if Iwas to choose that kind of vibe. This has some ok guitar/mandolin on it, but the lyrics keep hammering away at the obvious messages and sound like they are recorded independently from the backing tracks. A big disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars He is good, but not my style., 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Truth Is Not Fiction (Audio CD)
I bought this for a track I heard, he is very good, but I am more into electric folk music.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Truth Is Not Fiction (Audio CD)
bought for my husband and he is very pleased with it.was supposed to be for xmas but he found it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Truth Is Not Fiction (Audio CD)
First heard of Otis Taylor at the end of the film The Shooter, Track 10 Nasty Letter. Played this CD twice and thought it was ok, third time in the car very, very LOUD and I GOT IT!
I am now looking at the rest of his work and wil purchase a few more shortly.
Buy this and give your ears a treat

Truth Is Not Fiction
Truth Is Not Fiction by Otis Taylor (Audio CD - 2008)